Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Denmark Weds 07/07/21 20:00

Just now, shen said:

Not a very good one, really. It was all a bit random, but as a kid I watched primarily English football via BBC MotD. I had British, Irish and Scandinavian friends who had families supporting clubs in England. As a young Dane I was already subjected to Euro 92 and was already used to the underdog mentality - finding Leicester's story of upsetting the odds under MON and winning the LC in 97 appealed to me much the same way. Chose to LCFC ever since.

Nice one mate well the last few years have shown it to be a wise choice. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Unabomber said:

Nice one mate well the last few years have shown it to be a wise choice. 

Maybe it was fate :) the underdog tales of Euro 92 and LCFC 15/16 are certainly up there among the best in football.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shen said:

Not everyone on FT is English and this thread was already touching on the adjacent theme of England's football team not being popular beyond it's own borders. But apologies if any of this brought your mood down. Thanks for taking the time to add your otherwise belittling comments 

:schmike:

Sorry, no idea what belittling comments you mean? 

9 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Exactly this, I didn’t hear complaints when Portugal bored their way to the title in 2016 either and we have been better created far more than they did. Against Croatia they had no shots on goal. Stuck 2 past Germany 4 past Ukraine, 2 past Denmark forcing Kasper into several top saves… it wasn’t boring 

Excellent point. We have scored goals (except against the Scots!) and looked threatening going forward which we have done on a regular basis. Italy have been pretty average most of the time and were clearly outplayed by Spain but played for penalties and fair enough prevailed. 

I also don’t get the antagonism towards Sterling for the penalty when the posters accusing him of cheating ignore what other teams are doing to break / bend the rules. Look at the Danish free kick engineered by their players and the free kick itself that deliberately broke the rules. The danish three were a metre away from our defensive wall before moving alongside immediately prior the ball actually being kicked. Clear breach of rules and premeditated cheating which should have resulted in an indirect free kick to a England. But of course that doesn’t suit most people’s narrative so conveniently ignored. 

1 hour ago, Hollyfox said:

😄😄

Should be a bit lively. 

The Italian community in Bedford is brilliant and brings so much to the town but after decades of seeing them celebrating titles on a regular basis, and England failing to live up to expectations, its been tough to live with. 

I obviously want England to get over the line on Sunday but if they don't, I really hope the Italian's don't do their usual in the town centre, as they'll be loads of disappointed English fans that will have been on the sauce, walking back through it,from various pubs. 

We all know there's a shit load of bellends that appear doing international tournaments and it could be really bad here on Sunday, if England lose. 

Sad, but true. 

Hope England win or that I'm wrong👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I think there's gonna be a hell of a lot of trouble in either scenario. I think for the whole game it'll be fine and probably in good nature and good humour. 

It's after the game I think we're gonna see some carnage and 'scenes' down the High Street. 

The amount of times we have been screwed over it's about time we got a bit of luck, that 2nd freekick should never have been giving for Denmark's goal anyway, Kane could have had a peno so it's not really fair to call us out for cheating.

Hand of god, Sol Campbells disallowed goal and Lampard's clear goal the latter two being ones I can remember.

Bollox to um

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

The amount of times we have been screwed over it's about time we got a bit of luck, that 2nd freekick should never have been giving for Denmark's goal anyway, Kane could have had a peno so it's not really fair to call us out for cheating.

Hand of god, Sol Campbells disallowed goal and Lampard's clear goal the latter two being ones I can remember.

Bollox to um

It's not really even that for me. We've had our luck too. Cameroon played us off the pitch in 1990, so did Belgium (if not, it seemed like that at the time). But for 2 slightly dodgy penalty decisions in the former (arguable, but they both looked iffy to me) and about 2mm of woodwork in the latter, we wouldn't have reached the semi final. There's been other games too, many of which I've forgotten, where we have had a result we probably didn't deserve. We've had our luck, good and bad, in tournaments. We've just never been good enough to win a 2nd one. What I'm not going to countenance, is some Welsh or Scots bloke arguing that we're lucky on the occasions that suits them whilst ignoring the bad luck you've mentioned above. 

I thought it was a clear penalty last night. It seems I'm in a minority, even amongst genuine England fans. That said, I genuinely don't give a shit. Argentina delayed the kick off to all their games in 1978 to ensure they knew other teams results. Rumours have it that they also paid off some huge debts on behalf of Peru before their 6-0 victory, where the Peruvian keeper was like one of those 'whack a mole' carnival games as he continually dived over and out of the way of shots at goal. Whether Sterling 'made sure' the ref saw the contact or not is even debatable, either way, there's been many an episode of cheating in tournaments, if he's been guilty of one, he's no better or worse than any other individual player who has done the same, despite what non England fans may say. Does it make it right if he dived and there was no contact at all? No, of course it doesn't, but it's far from a crime in football compared with bent officials, bribed opposition or even in comparison to Thierry Henry against Ireland or Maradona against England. That's just the way those who don't support England want you to think.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

English fans are not allowed to enjoy themselves. England say they might win something and they're arrogant, the Scots had a victory lap of honour at Hampden before boarding the plane to Argentina in '78 ffs lol But they are just the good old drunken Scots right, so that ain't arrogant.

Lines heard from many a member of our closest neighbouring countries...

The ball didn't cross the line in '66.

We didn't have to play New Zealand when we won the rugby World cup. Oh, and we were a boring team....

We only won because of a rule (known before the start of the tournament) in the cricket World cup....

We only got to the last World cup semi final because we played nobody....

We've only got to this European Championship final because we've played nobody. Oh, and we're a boring team.

Oh, and the games were mainly at home lol A bit like when Italy '34, Germany '74, Argentina '78 and France '98, won World cups and Spain '64, Italy '68, France '84, won Euro Championships.

None of those winners had to go 'away' to Rome for a quarter final when they won their tournaments (apart from Italy maybe, who were.....at home), but England are 'favoured' when they achieve anything at all.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

Truth is, these fans from other countries are shitting themselves at the thought of England winning this tournament. They shit themselves about it before the start of every tournament. They'll use anything to rationalise it in their own minds should England win the trophy. They'll find an excuse as to why we didn't 'deserve' it and, if we do win it, they'll tell us over and over again why we shouldn't have until they are heading for the crematorium.

The map of every country in Europe being behind Denmark last night is true, but wgaf? 'twas ever thus. Personally, I want England to win it more for the heartache it will cause the anti-English ABE clowns I've met over the years, than for just winning it. This forum has introduced me to a few more of those. There's some generous, non England fans on here, mainly from outwith these islands, but the rest.....well, they are as predictable as a Kane goal against Kasper.

Not even going to comment on those English people actively hoping England will lose, as I just don't understand it. I was pretty disconnected with the England team before the tournament and said so. I said I wouldn't mind Tielemans lifting the trophy, as I thought England didn't have a prayer before it kicked off. Doesn't mean I'd support Belgium against England, or Denmark against England, that just seems odd, in my opinion.

I agree to a certain point..But most of  The Foreign fans Dont have a downer on England...

Like on this very forum..you have some who can only basque on the negative, Team or individuals..

its a Virus Propagated by poor Low  British media, Plus the nuance of individual know-alls on social-media...

Most of the World Loves the soap..true or not...People will bite..

Southgate should use it....

Hey Fellas the World Think we have more divers & Cheats because nice Danish coach & a couple of their nice dug up  Journalist say so..!!

They all Think we are crap and very lucky,Nobody likes us...

Lets give them a reason to hate us, go out & win it, for yourselves and your families...Dont worry I will bullshit in the media Conference

I will tell them we did it for England the fans, the Good Side of any new  European alliance...

After 40Yes overseas, outside banter Never met anyone who hated the English or Brits spite periods of poor politics, Johnson,Brexit,drunkards Hooligans & " Dont mention the war"moments...

Each Nations " guy on the street " know they have their own plonkers...

17 hours ago, Koke said:

How did we play football without fans for over a year? Watching the scenes at Wembley last night was immense. Imagine playing that game last night in an empty Wembley. 

I thought it throughout most of the season but the 2020/21 season will be rendered largely meaningless in future.

7 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

It's not really even that for me. We've had our luck too. Cameroon played us off the pitch in 1990, so did Belgium (if not, it seemed like that at the time). But for 2 slightly dodgy penalty decisions in the former (arguable, but they both looked iffy to me) and about 2mm of woodwork in the latter, we wouldn't have reached the semi final. There's been other games too, many of which I've forgotten, where we have had a result we probably didn't deserve. We've had our luck, good and bad, in tournaments. We've just never been good enough to win a 2nd one. What I'm not going to countenance, is some Welsh or Scots bloke arguing that we're lucky on the occasions that suits them whilst ignoring the bad luck you've mentioned above. 

I thought it was a clear penalty last night. It seems I'm in a minority, even amongst genuine England fans. That said, I genuinely don't give a shit. Argentina delayed the kick off to all their games in 1978 to ensure they knew other teams results. Rumours have it that they also paid off some huge debts on behalf of Peru before their 6-0 victory, where the Peruvian keeper was like one of those 'whack a mole' carnival games as he continually dived over and out of the way of shots at goal. Whether Sterling 'made sure' the ref saw the contact or not is even debatable, either way, there's been many an episode of cheating in tournaments, if he's been guilty of one, he's no better or worse than any other individual player who has done the same, despite what non England fans may say. Does it make it right if he dived and there was no contact at all? No, of course it doesn't, but it's far from a crime in football compared with bent officials, bribed opposition or even in comparison to Thierry Henry against Ireland or Maradona against England. That's just the way those who don't support England want you to think.

John Barnes had an onside goal ruled out vs Belgium, Platt had one disallowed vs West Germany in extra time too. The Cameroon game was the one we got away with, although again we missed some very easy chances. Platt and Lineker should have scored another 1 each.

5 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

After 40Yes overseas, outside banter Never met anyone who hated the English or Brits spite periods of poor politics, Johnson,Brexit,drunkards Hooligans & " Dont mention the war"moments...

Each Nations " guy on the street " know they have their own plonkers...

If you read my two posts, they don't really refer to people 'overseas', unless you count the Severn and the Tweed as oceans. The anti English ABE clowns, who simply can't give credit when it's due that I'm referring too are closer to home. 

Maybe we should adopt the toddler like toy throwing seen on here recently by having threads shut down the moment England lose... If you don't know what I mean, have a look at the Denmark v Wales thread.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

John Barnes had an onside goal ruled out vs Belgium, Platt had one disallowed vs West Germany in extra time too. The Cameroon game was the one we got away with, although again we missed some very easy chances. Platt and Lineker should have scored another 1 each.

Point is, we've had our luck, good and bad. Maybe more bad than anything, maybe not, but that's in the eye of the individual beholder.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

English fans are not allowed to enjoy themselves. England say they might win something and they're arrogant, the Scots had a victory lap of honour at Hampden before boarding the plane to Argentina in '78 ffs lol But they are just the good old drunken Scots right, so that ain't arrogant.

We didn't have to play New Zealand when we won the rugby World cup. Oh, and we were a boring team....

We only won because of a rule (known before the start of the tournament) in the cricket World cup....

We've only got to this European Championship final because we've played nobody. Oh, and we're a boring team.

Oh, and the games were mainly at home lol A bit like when Italy '34, Germany '74, Argentina '78 and France '98, won World cups and Spain '64, Italy '68, France '84, won Euro Championships.

None of those winners had to go 'away' to Rome for a quarter final when they won their tournaments (apart from Italy maybe, who were.....at home), but England are 'favoured' when they achieve anything at all.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

Truth is, these fans from other countries are shitting themselves at the thought of England winning this tournament. They shit themselves about it before the start of every tournament. They'll use anything to rationalise it in their own minds should England win the trophy. They'll find an excuse as to why we didn't 'deserve' it and, if we do win it, they'll tell us over and over again why we shouldn't have until they are heading for the crematorium.

The map of every country in Europe being behind Denmark last night is true, but wgaf? 'twas ever thus. Personally, I want England to win it more for the heartache it will cause the anti-English ABE clowns I've met over the years, than for just winning it. This forum has introduced me to a few more of those. There's some generous, non England fans on here, mainly from outwith these islands, but the rest.....well, they are as predictable as a Kane goal against Kasper.

Not even going to comment on those English people actively hoping England will lose, as I just don't understand it. I was pretty disconnected with the England team before the tournament and said so. I said I wouldn't mind Tielemans lifting the trophy, as I thought England didn't have a prayer before it kicked off. Doesn't mean I'd support Belgium against England, or Denmark against England, that just seems odd, in my opinion.

I understand that your emotions probably played a part when you were writing this post, but is the bit in bold really true? For me, the elation of winning the league meant way more to me than the heartbreak and bitterness it caused Spurs fans. I didn't care what their fans thought to be honest. Maybe it's different for you? Or maybe it's just different this time because it's England? Anyway, congrats again on reaching the final :) Enjoy it. 

Edited by VinceNoir

9 hours ago, shen said:

Not a very good one, really. It was all a bit random, but as a kid I watched primarily English football via BBC MotD. I had British, Irish and Scandinavian friends who had families supporting clubs in England. As a young Dane I was already subjected to Euro 92 and was already used to the underdog mentality - finding Leicester's story of upsetting the odds under MON and winning the LC in 97 appealed to me much the same way. Chose to follow LCFC ever since.

Brilliant, mate. Has your support for Leicester led to any fellow Danes supporting us? 

I invited a few Uni mates to the pub for the Cardiff play-off match years ago, and the drama and heartache that ensued made them Leicester fans from that day. They'd only ever been exposed to the matches that Danish telly show (mainly United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea) and they were just completely drawn in by the drama of the play-offs. I don't think they've regretted becoming fans either ;)  

• Like 2

Just now, VinceNoir said:

I understand that your emotions probably played a part when you were writing this post, but is the bit in bold really true? For me, the elation of winning the league meant way more to me than the heartbreak and bitterness it caused Spurs fans. Maybe it's different for you? Or maybe it's just different this time, because it's England? Anyway, congrats again on reaching the final :) Enjoy it. 

Yes, it is.

Leicester winning the league bears no comparison in my mind. Most said we deserved it. Even some Spurs fans can admit we deserved to win the league, though they might be a little hard to find. If England win on Sunday, finding Welsh and Scots that will admit they deserve too, would be like finding a haystack in a giant bunch of needles, to quote Blackadder. 

I'll certainly enjoy the final. There won't be days of misery if we don't win, as there was when I was a youngster though. Thanks for the genuine congratulations, it's easy to tell you aren't from these islands, which was really the entire point I was making really.

3 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Yes, it is.

Leicester winning the league bears no comparison in my mind. Most said we deserved it. Even some Spurs fans can admit we deserved to win the league, though they might be a little hard to find. If England win on Sunday, finding Welsh and Scots that will admit they deserve too, would be like finding a haystack in a giant bunch of needles, to quote Blackadder. 

I'll certainly enjoy the final. There won't be days of misery if we don't win, as there was when I was a youngster though. Thanks for the genuine congratulations, it's easy to tell you aren't from these islands, which was really the entire point I was making really.

Fair enough, thanks for elaborating :) Haha, well, I am actually from these islands, though I've lived in Denmark for most of my life - hence my greater attachment to Denmark than England.

But I hope you guys win on Sunday! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

My outside view.

In the past, England have made their own luck by underachieving, not being clever enough in the big matches etc. 1966 was won thanks to a dodgy decision, but as you mention, there are probably other examples where you missed out on getting further in a tournament. Swings and roundabouts.

This tournament, of course England have had an "easy" route all the way, including home advantage in all but 1 match. Having said that, England teams of the past would have failed because they were not clever enough to make it count. Southgate is the perfect man to guide this team and set them up for lots of future success (at least 10-15 years).

England have had some luck this tournament but you need that to go all the way. They have also found the edge in games that are in the balance. Most of all, it has been a good team performance. That is why I thing England will win on Sunday, nothing even makes me think Italy stand a chance of winning, simply because England are in a flow, Southgate sets them up to at least match the opposition, players are hitting form under him, home advantage and the most important, a little bit of luck. Nailed on England win for me on Sunday, be that 90, 120 or pens.

Italy have looked a good side but just like England, they are only at the start of their new generation. It should be an interesting game. Even if Italy do somehow win, England can take plenty of confidence into the next few years. Right now, there are only really a handful of teams that could challenge them (Brazil, Spain and Italy).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

My outside view.

In the past, England have made their own luck by underachieving, not being clever enough in the big matches etc. 1966 was won thanks to a dodgy decision, but as you mention, there are probably other examples where you missed out on getting further in a tournament. Swings and roundabouts.

This tournament, of course England have had an "easy" route all the way, including home advantage in all but 1 match. Having said that, England teams of the past would have failed because they were not clever enough to make it count. Southgate is the perfect man to guide this team and set them up for lots of future success (at least 10-15 years).

England have had some luck this tournament but you need that to go all the way. They have also found the edge in games that are in the balance. Most of all, it has been a good team performance. That is why I thing England will win on Sunday, nothing even makes me think Italy stand a chance of winning, simply because England are in a flow, Southgate sets them up to at least match the opposition, players are hitting form under him, home advantage and the most important, a little bit of luck. Nailed on England win for me on Sunday, be that 90, 120 or pens.

Italy have looked a good side but just like England, they are only at the start of their new generation. It should be an interesting game. Even if Italy do somehow win, England can take plenty of confidence into the next few years. Right now, there are only really a handful of teams that could challenge them (Brazil, Spain and Italy).

OMG, you do know that it ended 4-2 in '66? England did not win with a' dodgy' decision. And 'probaby other examples'!! Yeah, Maradona probably handled the ball, Lampard's shot probably went over the line, Campbell probably fouled the keeper when he scored (eventhough the keeper was impeded by his own defender) etc etc. No probably about it. Jeez. 

As for having an 'easy' route, perhaps you had forgotten that England had the world Cup finalists and a very dangerous Czech team that reached the quarter finals in their group. Mostly home advantage is not unique to England. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spudulike said:

So the day after winning a Euro semi-final and the joyous celebration and happy mood, posters are discussing 'nob head' Englishness based on some anecdotal evidence. 

You can always rely on FT to drag the mood down. Jeez. 

:nigel:

I don't think you should be letting some comments on a tiny part of the internet bring your mood down mate :D

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I don't think you should be letting some comments on a tiny part of the internet bring your mood down mate :D

And if there really is a problem with a minority of hoolies, it would be doing a disservice *not* to talk about it and sweep it under the carpet, because that's the fastest way it becomes a bigger minority of hoolies.

It's happened before, after all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Find the whole England supporters are bad and everyone else are bad angles quite tiresome. Reflective of an echo chamber created by the media. 

England haven’t had a game default to 0-3 victory to the opposition in a qualifier because a fan ran on the pitch and attacked a referee. Denmark have.

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Find the whole England supporters are bad and everyone else are angles quite tiresome. Reflective of an echo chamber created by the media. 

England haven’t had a game default to 0-3 victory to the opposition in a qualifier because a fan ran on the pitch and attacked a referee. Denmark have.

I'm pretty sure the only reason that hasn't happened is because the Ireland match in 1995 was a friendly and not a qualifier.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Didnt say it was dragging my mood down. :P

26 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Find the whole England supporters are bad and everyone else are angles quite tiresome. Reflective of an echo chamber created by the media. 

The media love any possible angle to attack English football supporters, justified or not.