Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Denmark Weds 07/07/21 20:00

10 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Talk about a bad omen lol

I’ve been surprised at the volume of superstition being expressed during this tournament, it seems far greater than previous ones. Twitter is awash with it.

I worry that, especially as the Millennium edges nearer, pseudoscience and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us - then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.”  Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Now that is cringe

I found it amusing tbh. I’m more ‘urgh’ at every celebrity with a free ticket talking like they know the first thing about the game, knowing they’ll need someone to point out which team is which.

Guest Col city fan
10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

You absolutely are the better team and are certainly the favourites. 

But some of the certainty with which people think you're going to win, from pundits to social media to the press, it's getting a tad on the arrogant side. Rio just been going off live on the BBC about how England are going to smash Italy ffs. 

I mean as fans of perennial under dogs in here we should be able to appreciate how no game of football is cut and dry. Folk in here get out raged at being written off by Arsenal, Tottenham, United etc fans. 

A lot of the same attitude being thrown dismissively at Denmark.

You wanna see the odds! 1/3 for England to qualify! 9-4 The Danes 

3 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

England played Denmark twice just last year, we lost one and drew one. They aren’t some plucky under dog even if we want to believe it; they won the Euros, we haven’t (not that this really matters). The actual edge for England here isn’t much more than a coin flip. It’s a tougher game than Germany and our hardest so far, Italy will be harder again should we make it there.  

Also, please stop using FIFA rankings, they’re pretty meaningless. You can fall down it for winning games if you are playing in the wrong type of game. Historically Germany are a bigger club than Denmark, sure, but this team doesn’t have Beckenbauer or Ballack and co. Denmark are currently the better football team because they have top flight players in every position and are better coached/organised than almost every other international team. In this particular tournament their togetherness is also unmatched, due to almost tragic circumstances.

Their togetherness was very strong prior to the Eriksen incident - that just showed the world exactly how strong it was, which subsequently won over the public admiration instantly. This energy and support has been the standout factor, which is why the Danish FA have been so desperate for the English authorities to loosen travel restrictions, like the Netherlands and Azerbaijan did.

15 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Denmark are ridiculously long odds to win in 90 minutes.

Just had to put 20 quid on them at 24/5

How did I know you'd chirp up with something to dismiss England's chances. Genuine question, but will you actually enjoy it if we win the Euro's. Would you allow yourself to?

53 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I feel sick, I'm on my 4th liquid barry of the day. This is what I've been almost fanatical about since my late teens is England with the possibility of a semi final and final on home soil and us not going in to it an absolute disgrace.

It won't be easy tonight. I have a soft spot for the Danes and certainly what they've been through but I'm hoping that is just one step too far for them tonight and it takes its toll when the pressure moments come tonight.

Ignoring the usual bandwagon excitement and arrogance, this is huge for our nation and we need this. Go and make a name for yourselves boys and then square up to Italy and see who's made of what.

Kane brace 2-0 England

I think nations across Europe feel this is needed. After what Italy have been through during the pandemic, I wouldn't begrudge them a morale boosting win. Denmark, I feel, have already achieved something special. This team will have inspired the next generation of young athletes and will reinvigorate grassroots sports communities.
England need to get rid of this hoodoo, but it would feel ironic to see it happen the same year as the UK left the EU.

• Like 2

So who is going to be the guy that gets sent off and ruins this big chance and is hated for ever lol I'm going John Stones, he'll lose possession and then drag him down as last man....

I know, as an England fan, we are not allowed to be confident because for some reason it seems to annoy everyone. But I am, Probably be solid and unspectacular but I think we'll get the odd goal to win. 

• Haha 1

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

So who is going to be the guy that gets sent off and ruins this big chance and is hated for ever lol I'm going John Stones, he'll lose possession and then drag him down as last man....

I know, as an England fan, we are not allowed to be confident because for some reason it seems to annoy everyone. But I am, Probably be solid and unspectacular but I think we'll get the odd goal to win. 

We're not allowed to be confident, optimistic or even patriotic. Other countries find it very upsetting. We need to spare a thought for their feelings...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

You guys. 

Crunch time today. As a dane I really do not fancy our chances. You look scary and focused and I think my team has peaked. But football is football and everything can happen.

Good game everyone, but I do hope most you will go to bed feeling deflated and frustrated. ;)

That’s just married life.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How did I know you'd chirp up with something to dismiss England's chances. Genuine question, but will you actually enjoy it if we win the Euro's. Would you allow yourself to?

I've not dismissed the chances, that's a great price for Denmark in 90 minutes.

I don't expect to win the bet, but I'm not turning it down at those odds 

If they were to win the entire competition, I think enjoy would be the wrong word. I'd be happy for them, but it doesn't really bother me. Much like I'd like Team GB to do well at the Olympics, but I won't be bothered if they don't.

I won't be going out celebrating, put it that way.

I would like them to win it, but I just can't get excited about it, no enthusiasm at all, which I wouldn't have dreamed about saying 10, 20 years ago.

I've enjoyed the tournament as a whole, because I enjoy watching football.

The group was dour, to put it mildly. Half an hour against Germany was decent and I can't comment on Saturday, because I didn't see it, but looks good on paper.

It's amazing what a win does for the changing attitudes towards the team from the public and the media, but I've been watching England since 1986, so it doesn't really wash with me anymore.

Fair play if they go on to win it though.

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I feel sick, I'm on my 4th liquid barry of the day. This is what I've been almost fanatical about since my late teens is England with the possibility of a semi final and final on home soil and us not going in to it an absolute disgrace.

It won't be easy tonight. I have a soft spot for the Danes and certainly what they've been through but I'm hoping that is just one step too far for them tonight and it takes its toll when the pressure moments come tonight.

Ignoring the usual bandwagon excitement and arrogance, this is huge for our nation and we need this. Go and make a name for yourselves boys and then square up to Italy and see who's made of what.

Kane brace 2-0 England

Cmon Ric.. what’s a ‘liquid Barry’?