Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ClaphamFox

Mikkel Damsgaard

38 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

As in ???

...amassing a very large squad, spending as if there was no tomorrow, under the stewardship of previous Leicester Head Scout Steve Walsh!!!

This was a few seasons ago and Walsh was eventually relieved from their club and now at Charlotte F.C.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Why would you want to pay 35m for a player who cost Sampdoria 6m last year and has been very average for them? 

This is it. He has potential no doubt but this is a panic on the back of the Euros for me, overpriced and a huge gamble.

We need to trust our recruitment a little bit more, you can never replace Mahrez with a like for like. Obviously it would be nice to find a gem to play out wide but our brief is obviously to buy where there is value and he doesn’t fit that bracket at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danny280995 said:

We're waiting and all our options will be gone..typical 

Is it really typical though? Recently, we have moved extremely fast in the market to secure our targets. If our management wanted these players and we could afford them, they'd likely already be here. 

1 hour ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Villa been buying quite smart maybe it's cos of Shakespeare. Hmm Everton recruitment has been awful since they replaced Walsh with Brands as their DOF, eg.wasted about 30m on Arsenal deadwood Iwobi and Man city players like  Fabien Delph, the Everton owner is really clueless on running a clib

Rob Mackenzie is head of technical scouting there, yes the one Spurs poached from us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaijaFox said:

I wouldn’t, with the possible exception of Buendia.

Fair enough, but they are better than Everton's load of toss that has forced benitez into what looks like a similar job to Newcastle judging by his acquisitions to date 🤔😱🤯

Screenshot_2021-08-02-13-12-46-26_955f68c4df44ad6a86e46b05cf65099a.thumb.jpg.ed3a906638c4ecae97c896d55aedb690.jpg

1 hour ago, Danny280995 said:

I'm convinced we are hanging around for coutinho to see how the fire sale goes, and trying to delay others telling them we need to sell before we can buy (possibly even explaining why no news on sales yet)

But they won't all hang around (ie Leon bailey)

Could get a bargain, might miss out on a few who weren't first choice, and as much as rw is an obvious gap, we've not done too badly with what we've got.

Not so sure about this. With the Grealish sale it would take (roughly) Villa to -£200mil net spend since the season before promotion last year. They can't just go and blow all of that and ffp relaxtions wouldn't come to their aid either.

There will potentially be a point in time I.e 5 or so years that Villa will be slapped with a transfer ban and a fine which will force them to sell players. 

Villa remind me of me taking my daughter into an American sweet shop last week and coming out with everything. There seems to be an overzealous nature with teams like Villa (and to a degree Leeds) that "we have always been big clubs so we'll go out and spend like big clubs", "everyone look at us again now"

Unfortunately football financials doesn't allow for that anymore and we as a club take that responsibility very well, so my thoughts on Villa are that it feels that instead of slowing the spending, they've done the opposite.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

I'm convinced we are hanging around for coutinho to see how the fire sale goes, and trying to delay others telling them we need to sell before we can buy (possibly even explaining why no news on sales yet)

But they won't all hang around (ie Leon bailey)

Could get a bargain, might miss out on a few who weren't first choice, and as much as rw is an obvious gap, we've not done too badly with what we've got.

I don't see where Countinho fits in here if Maddison stays and doesn't solve our issue on the right. Barnes has to play wide left, he's devastating there.

• Sad 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
21 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Not so sure about this. With the Grealish sale it would take (roughly) Villa to -£200mil net spend since the season before promotion last year. They can't just go and blow all of that and ffp relaxtions wouldn't come to their aid either.

There will potentially be a point in time I.e 5 or so years that Villa will be slapped with a transfer ban and a fine which will force them to sell players. 

Villa remind me of me taking my daughter into an American sweet shop last week and coming out with everything. There seems to be an overzealous nature with teams like Villa (and to a degree Leeds) that "we have always been big clubs so we'll go out and spend like big clubs", "everyone look at us again now"

Unfortunately football financials doesn't allow for that anymore and we as a club take that responsibility very well, so my thoughts on Villa are that it feels that instead of slowing the spending, they've done the opposite.

Villa remind me if Everton. Their fans are moaning about city buying success when they're just doing the same thing.

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Why would you want to pay 35m for a player who cost Sampdoria 6m last year and has been very average for them? 

Exactly this, a couple of decent games at the Euros and he has everybody flappin

Reminds me of us rinsing Man Utd after Maguire turned up for a couple of World Cup games

• Like 1

Be interesting to see how well Dean Smith does with all this talent, egos, etc etc.

He’s a shoe in for next England manager if he keeps Villa ticking along well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Be interesting to see how well Dean Smith does with all this talent, egos, etc etc.

He’s a shoe in for next England manager if he keeps Villa ticking along well.

Could be under pressure if Villa have a poor season after being backed with decent money.

Spent 90m last season net and looking to have spent 70m net so far this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't see where Countinho fits in here if Maddison stays and doesn't solve our issue on the right. Barnes has to play wide left, he's devastating there.

That's where I'm luckier than you, with no on depth player/tactical knowledge, my blind optimism and ignorance means that I'll be content until the end of the transfer window, safe in my wildly inaccurate assumptions. 🤔😂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

Sorry, didn't know where to put this so just did a search for "grealish" (prompted by reading this)

Will be amusing to see grealish being the first name on Southgate's team sheet immediately after he moves to man city (if obviously)

Much like Sancho 

Literally got in straight after his Man Utd move. To the day I think lol 

Let's be honest, Villa are doing much better in the transfer market than Everton. Not even an argument there really. Everton threw money at 'marquee' or 'statement'  signings that didn't work out, and had no real strategy.

Villa are replacing one of their best ever talents with a few players that could fill the gap he leaves in terms of goals or assists.

Grealish is worth 2 players for Villa; much how like Kante was more than 1 player for us. 

While Villa are throwing a hell of a lot of money around, they're certainly doing better business than Everton. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Let's be honest, Villa are doing much better in the transfer market than Everton. Not even an argument there really. Everton threw money at 'marquee' or 'statement'  signings that didn't work out, and had no real strategy.

Villa are replacing one of their best ever talents with a few players that could fill the gap he leaves in terms of goals or assists.

Grealish is worth 2 players for Villa; much how like Kante was more than 1 player for us. 

While Villa are throwing a hell of a lot of money around, they're certainly doing better business than Everton. 

So it appears on paper but that first window under Walsh and Koeman everyone was brown nosing Everton. It's easy to look back and pick it apart because most of them failed but they were probably comparable players to the likes of Buendia and Damsgaard. For example Klaasen was like Donny Van De Beek in that he was Ajax's blue eyed boy and a huge talent, he came to the PL and was muck.

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Could be under pressure if Villa have a poor season after being backed with decent money.

Spent 90m last season net and looking to have spent 70m net so far this season.

I believe he's spent almost £300m net since he got the job, how many managers have ever had that sort of backing? But strangely the more he spends the less likely he is to keep his job.

7 hours ago, Danny280995 said:

Typical? Seems like we got some great business done early this window. Besides, this is a great window to have some liquidity late, sellers will get desperate. 

5 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Villa remind me if Everton. Their fans are moaning about city buying success when they're just doing the same thing.

Why are they moaning about is buying success?  We have been astute in the transfer market mainly.  We have rarely spent big.