Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

The state of this thread.  After 55 years you've finally made a major finals ... and it's 20% about football, and 80% The Airing Of The Grievances about somebody else's country, behavior, perceived class attitudes, whatever ya got.

Maybe it's because of posts like this one below, that you made in the England/Denmark thread that England fans adopt a siege mentality when these types of games come along. Looks like you had some 'grievances' you were airing, under the guise of fifa rankings. It was thinly veiled though. Maybe you meant it to be humourous, it didn't strike as such.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I’m sure you won’t blame the neutrals if we stick with Kasper and plucky Denmark.  And express skepticism about your progress to date through an easy draw, mostly in front of home crowds.

England played                 KiddieCars.JPG.5ceb565a2d3bef70aa4004fe92992aaf.JPG

- Denmark (10th FIFA)

- Germany (12th)

- Croatia  (14th)

- Ukraine (24th)

- Czech Republic (40th)

- Scotland  (44th)

England avoided               F1.JPG.3e3123777c506657b3e0d76264d8fb01.JPG

- Belgium (1st)

- France (2nd)

- Portugal (5th)

- Spain (6th)

- Switzerland (13th)

- Netherlands (16th)

- Wales (17th)

- Sweden (18th)

if Southgate can shift you off that kiddie track, you may well win this trophy.  But if you do, remember he’s got a 10 year contract attached to it …

Edited by Duquesne Whistle
Your suggestion England avoided a car crash by avoiding Wales is one of the funniest things I've read on the internet....ever.

21 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

I must be missing something. I don’t think anyone anywhere has said ‘let’s not boo the Italy national anthem because they’re great and have no problems with racism’, it’s more because it’s (at best) just pretty classless/unsporting, at worst symptomatic of the xenophobia that’s been rife in this country over the past few years. I don’t really see what the Italians’ problems (ignoring the generalisations) have to do with it?

Is the argument here that if someone is a twat to you, the best approach is to be a twat back? I mean by all means, go for it, but be aware that to some, you might come off looking like a bit of a twat

You’re right, you’ve missed the entire point and the part I highlighted in the post I replied to. 

There’s Welsh, Scottish, other Europeans and even English who look down on football culture all hoping England lose because we’re ‘racist’ or ‘far right’, when Italian Ultras groups house genuine fascist elements (hence the Lazio reference) and some horrific racism to players (Lukaku getting bananas thrown at him by sections of Italian home crowds). That’s not even touching on the whole Anne Frank stuff a couple years ago. 

There’s plenty of bellend English fans that do stupid stuff and still progress to make in terms of racism in the English game. However the booing I wouldn’t partake in but find weird at worst, mildly amusing at best, and I find the whole idea this makes England a terrible nation and fanbase laughable. Plenty of wetwipes willing to virtue signal and will never mention how awful and thoroughly racist big sections of the Italian game are. We don’t hold a candle to them or Eastern Europe when it comes to racism or fan behaviour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walkers said:

Anyone find the suggestion of a bank holiday on monday, and even more so people who have below zero interest in football going around sharing the petition for others to sign, a bit cringey?

Proves more than anything that Sunday night isn't a time for football. 8pm is a terrible kick-off time, have it in the afternoon if it has to be Sunday.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Koke said:

Portugal started the trans Atlantic slave trade but they get a lot of love from these same people. Belgium committed some truly barbaric savage uncivilised unspeakable crimes in Africa but people ****ing like/love Belgium. 

Scotland and Wales were part of the British empire that committed atrocities but who cares I guess lol

It's mental. People say it with such conviction as well, think they're being proper progressive. 

Guest bennytwohats
18 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

You’re right, you’ve missed the entire point and the part I highlighted in the post I replied to. 

There’s Welsh, Scottish, other Europeans and even English who look down on football culture all hoping England lose because we’re ‘racist’ or ‘far right’, when Italian Ultras groups house genuine fascist elements (hence the Lazio reference) and some horrific racism to players (Lukaku getting bananas thrown at him by sections of Italian home crowds). That’s not even touching on the whole Anne Frank stuff a couple years ago. 

There’s plenty of bellend English fans that do stupid stuff and still progress to make in terms of racism in the English game. However the booing I wouldn’t partake in but find weird at worst, mildly amusing at best, and I find the whole idea this makes England a terrible nation and fanbase laughable. Plenty of wetwipes willing to virtue signal and will never mention how awful and thoroughly racist big sections of the Italian game are. We don’t hold a candle to them or Eastern Europe when it comes to racism or fan behaviour.

In fairness my post wasn't intended to be directed solely at you, or at all on the part you highlighted. I realise looking back it doesn't read like that so apologies for that.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying. The part (and this is probably more the earlier posts) that I find odd is people trying to justify any behaviour on our part on the basis that Italy (or whoever) are worse than we are - it's just not a defence. I also think you underplay the English racism a bit, we also have genuinely racist people associated with football, who like to try and hide that racism by hiding behind shitty 'legitimate' excuses for their behaviour, and we've seen plenty of that over the past year booing people taking the knee, abusing players on twitter etc. I think many see the booing of the national anthems as the latest outlet for the same kind of people (at least I do, but I'm probably a snowflake :ph34r:).

3 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

In fairness my post wasn't intended to be directed solely at you, or at all on the part you highlighted. I realise looking back it doesn't read like that so apologies for that.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying. The part (and this is probably more the earlier posts) that I find odd is people trying to justify any behaviour on our part on the basis that Italy (or whoever) are worse than we are - it's just not a defence. I also think you underplay the English racism a bit, we also have genuinely racist people associated with football, who like to try and hide that racism by hiding behind shitty 'legitimate' excuses for their behaviour, and we've seen plenty of that over the past year booing people taking the knee, abusing players on twitter etc. I think many see the booing of the national anthems as the latest outlet for the same kind of people (at least I do, but I'm probably a snowflake :ph34r:).

To be fair, bar the weird booing the knee, our fans have arguably been the best behaved at a tournament they've been for a good few years (not travelling in such large numbers this year probably has something to do with that). Booing National Anthems is weird but I think it’s been overblown massively. The team is probably the most likeable in years too.

Guest bennytwohats
20 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

To be fair, bar the weird booing the knee, our fans have arguably been the best behaved at a tournament they've been for a good few years (not travelling in such large numbers this year probably has something to do with that). Booing National Anthems is weird but I think it’s been overblown massively. The team is probably the most likeable in years too.

I don't really see that being relevant to anything. If what you're doing isn't cool, being better behaved than you have been in the past, or being better behaved than someone else doesn't change the fact what you're doing isn't cool - that's all I'm trying to say here. Whether booing anthems is not cool or is totally cool isn't really what I'm trying to get into, just the stupidity of the argument that some others were trying to make. To be honest, before this conversation this has barely registered as something of note in the tournament because I've been too busy enjoying the football

Edited by bennytwohats

It strikes me that booing an anthem is something you would either do or you wouldn't, regardless of nationality. I find it completely odd and can't imagine I'd ever get caught up in the moment and start booing. It just seems so crass.

For me, the oldest matches matter the most, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, hotly followed by Germany and Argentina these days, but I would never consider booing any of those anthems at a match. I'm not overly offended by it when the England anthem gets booed and I think the importance of it is overplayed a bit, but it doesn't sound very clever when it's done by any nationality and is just a bit embarrassing. The most senseless thing about doing it, is the reaction it must provoke in opponents. To be an international, you have to be at the top of that game in your country, that alone takes balls, self belief and a hard competitive edge. Surely booing teams anthems is all the motivation required by whomever you are facing.

It's a forlorn hope, but it wouldn't it be a sensational statement if England fans, in front of a Worldwide audience, stood silently while the Italian anthem plays on Sunday and respected their anthem, their players and the occasion? It would probably take the Italian team completely by surprise too. Never going to happen though, unfortunately.

• Like 1

I'm to ignore southgate's cranium-crushingly boring tactics. I've become excited about the match.

I hope we don't boo the national anthem. It's poor sportsmanship. I'd like to think we're better than that.

Edited by Foxxed

On 07/07/2021 at 18:21, Super_horns said:

If it goes to penalties the trophy is ours:

Switzerland beat France on penalties

Spain beat Switzerland on penalties

Italy beat Spain on penalties

England to beat Italy on penalties??

:whistle::dry::englandsmile4wf:

Not with Donnaruma in goal.  He’s, I think, the best in the world right now.   If it goes to penalties England loses (and generally I’d say the opposite…usually Italy is dire in penalties)

I hope this thread is more uplifting tomorrow lol the state of it!

England are in a major final and it feels like everywhere else in the country apart from the majority in this forum are on a real high. Not sure I get it 

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

I'm to ignore southgate's cranium-crushingly boring tactics. I've become excited about the match.

I hope we don't boo the national anthem. It's poor sportsmanship. I'd like to think we're better than that.

I’d like to think I’ll win the lottery but it ain’t happening. Before today I thought the booing of the anthem was pathetic but now I’ve come to realise if you can’t beat them join them. 

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

Would love to find video somewhere of Leicester vs Chelsea in 2001 that includes Mancini's sumptuous cross for Izzet to head over. 

Everything from the Peter Taylor years has been wiped to save the world. Bit like when they lost the Beatles in Yesterday. Except he wasn't as good as the Beatles, obviously. 

• Haha 2

I am so tired of the England football team and our fans being used as a reason to spread hate, political rhetoric and racist generalisations....against the English.

I am of mixed heritage and am proud of my people, a race that has been systematically ostracised and murdered for a thousand years.

Come on England :frantics::englandsmile4wf::yahoo:

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

Would love to find video somewhere of Leicester vs Chelsea in 2001 that includes Mancini's sumptuous cross for Izzet to head over. 

I was at that game and would also like to see it again as I remember the pass quite clearly.

For a nation who are accused of playing the game so slowly, it was artful how Mancini played the ball so elegantly.

The huge boozer my friends, partner and I have booked just messaged to say they’re “allowing their staff the night off” to watch the game.

I.e. they couldn’t get anyone to work that shift and they’ve had to cancel all of their bookings. 

Bit annoying, that. Now we’re fvcked for a place to watch. Everywhere is rammo.

From a foxes fan north of the border good luck to England tomorrow some of us up here are not all England haters. As i do not watch the crap football up here i seen in a local scottish newspaper that someone wrote about scotlands display in the euros "Dont worry Scotland you did the country proud" Really? 3 games 2 at home both lost 1 game away and that was a draw Christ i am surprised they did not go out on a open top bus anyway all the best for England tomorrow guys 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1