Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

Just now, foxfanazer said:

I think it's also acceptable to think that Southgate has done a good job with this side but that he's also not the right man to take us forward long term. He's created a decent culture and has won over a lot of fans for the national side but I feel we'd benefit from a more tactically astute manager (like Mancini for example). 

Sometimes you can do a good job but it still be the right time for you to leave. Only slight problem with that is the world cup now only being a year away

I think we can accept he's done well, but also that there are some decisions made that are frustrating, and at times we progress despite those decisions not because of them.

Southgate seem tactically astute and when he talks about it, it's clear why he's doing what he's doing. He's has a game plan for different opponents and I like that about him. The other side though, I find he's reluctant to make changes, he's reluctant to attack. A bit like Rodgers he seems to like going ultra negative when leading and invites pressure onto the team.

• Like 3

All you haters, enjoy your victory, I'm still proud to be an Englishman  tonight. Maybe Italy deserved it, I don't give a fu(k , if Pickford puts the ball beyond the post injstead of on it it we win. Rashford you useless cvnt, at least hit the target.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bennytwohats said:

Italy are a good team. Those of you bemoaning Southgate are indicative of most of what I dislike about football these days. So easy to criticise, yet who would have predicted us in a final?! Just an outlet for your miserable existence. Have a moan but anyone who thinks Gareth or our boys have done us anything other than proud can **** off tbh

Most of the people who've been critical of Southgate have praised Italy. We didn't do enough during this game, Southgate didn't give players like Foden, Grealish enough time to show that they could do something. He is the manager, it is his job (as Mancini proved) to effect the game from the sideline. Now you're entirely in your right to argue that Southgate did in fact make the right changes (players/formation) but that's not what you're doing.

And who said nobody is proud of the players??? I'd even argue the fact most people are a little annoyed at Southgate BECAUSE we're proud of these payers and believe they could have done more with better management. 

• Like 2

The best team won this tournament, so congratulations to Italy. To get down to the very last game and penalties is an impressive feat for England even if defeat is so cruel. 

I hope England look at the way Italy play. Their use of Veratti and Jorginho is class, quite reminiscent of Tielemans for us. Rice and Phillips had good tournaments but are reminiscent of Puel era Ndidi and Mendy! As @Babylonsaid, we play safety first football rather than proactively looking to win. 

Gutting for everyone though. Home advantage, their best player injured, took the lead early. We had everything we could possibly ask for and came up short. Gutted 😭!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

I think we can accept he's done well, but also that there are some decisions made that are frustrating, and at times we progress despite those decisions not because of them.

Southgate seem tactically astute and when he talks about it, it's clear why he's doing what he's doing. He's has a game plan for different opponents and I like that about him. The other side though, I find he's reluctant to make changes, he's reluctant to attack. A bit like Rodgers he seems to like going ultra negative when leading and invites pressure onto the team.

Yeah I get that and the comparison is bang on. Rodgers also gets away with it a lot so it makes it very difficult to criticise without looking mental lol

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Mason Mount is the most overrated footballer I’ve ever clapped eyes on.

If Foden was fit we win that. Mount has done fvck all all all tournament.

• Like 3

Guest bennytwohats
2 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Do you agree with throwing two young players on, to take a penalty, with 90 seconds left, when they've barely played in the tournament? Still seems an odd decision to me. The team has done well to reach the final, as has Southgate, but his conservatism looked like it cost England tonight, coupled with those odd substitutions. Mancini used his subs in the 90 minutes and extra time. Mancini tried to win the match by altering things, Southgate didn't. I don't think that is harsh, I think it's true. 

I’d like to think that most could see we’ve massively overachieved in this tournament and afford a good degree of credit for the manager and team who got us there. Everyone is disappointed with tonight, but the scapegoating and blame culture is just not for me tbh. But you guys crack on

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Mason Mount is the most overrated footballer I’ve ever clapped eyes on.

Unreal from Southgate that he started that game. Bloke is shite! Genuinely forgot he was playing during the second half. 

Guest Col city fan
4 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Not sure I’ve ever felt as gutted after a game of football as I do now. Proper done me that has 

For me it’s not the losing. Italy are a good team. It’s the manner in which we lost that’s the most disappointing 

To start so well, only to sit back and start to shithouse penalties for so long was weak management 

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

The best team won this tournament, so congratulations to Italy. To get down to the very last game and penalties is an impressive feat for England even if defeat is so cruel. 

I hope England look at the way Italy play. Their use of Veratti and Jorginho is class, quite reminiscent of Tielemans for us. Rice and Phillips had good tournaments but are reminiscent of Puel era Ndidi and Mendy! As @Babylonsaid, we play safety first football rather than proactively looking to win. 

Gutting for everyone though. Home advantage, their best player injured, took the lead early. We had everything we could possibly ask for and came up short. Gutted 😭!

Out of interest, given the opposition. Who would it have been okay to go out to and consider it a good performance?

Closest I can think are Germany, but they looked incredibly hit and miss and we edged a game of fine margins. 

• Like 1

Final thought…

… as a nation, we are all to blame for getting way over excited at being in the final.

On the whole it seemed like we were celebrating that achievement as if we’d actually won the thing.

Champions don’t celebrate getting to the final - because they know the job is yet to be done.

Hopefully, if it doesn’t take us 55 years to get to another one, next time we can keep our shit together and remember there’s still a job to do.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

what is it about scoring so early, that always fills me with dread! :nono:

It's the modern style of management in this country.  Rodgers is just the same.

Score a goal and play a game of defence vs attack until the opposition pegs you back.  Try and hit them on the counter.  It's a load of old bollocks and needs a rethink.

6 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

A disgrace for missing a penalty!? Christ! 

Have some perspective

A sorry situation to be in that we can't even have 3 people on a field of 11 players that'd happily take a penalty.

Perhaps because there's too many people with your viewpoint. 

He didn’t take a penalty, he wasted a penalty.