Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

12 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Absolutely. Warning signs were there. What absolutely killed our attacking intent tonight though, was the lack of subs when they were desperately needed, to gain back the attacking momentum. Hope he learns from this and is much much braver in the future. 

This.

Southgate will retain his job, let's hope he learns from this. He's made the same mistake in two tournaments running. Shame really.

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Final thought…

… as a nation, we are all to blame for getting way over excited at being in the final.

On the whole it seemed like we were celebrating that achievement as if we’d actually won the thing.

Champions don’t celebrate getting to the final - because they know the job is yet to be done.

Hopefully, if it doesn’t take us 55 years to get to another one, next time we can keep our shit together and remember there’s still a job to do.

Counter point - surely getting to a first major final in 55 years is a reason to get excited as you dont know when it will happen again.

Bit like us with the FA Cup Final.

Edited by Nalis

The best team won and got past Belgium and Spain to get to the final. The draws in the last 2 tournaments have been very kind to us as well as playing at home. Far to negative and the saddest thing for me is we did not go for it tonight we have cracking attacking options yet do not use them. 

• Like 3

Italy dominated the game go be fair, helped by the fact that Mount was invisible for most of the game so Kane was having to play up top and midfield.

Just saw a stat that Veratti had more touches than Rice, Phillips, Henderson and Mount put together. Mad 

• Haha 1

Just now, Bert said:

I can’t stand them stutter stop penalties. No coincidence the ones missed were them with shit run ups. 

Bonucci did one and scored and Saka and Belotti missed with normal run ups so it could well be a coincidence

15 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Exactly, Southgate is way out of his depth. Don’t let getting to a final fool you. It was pretty much handed on a plate to him with the draw and tournament format. You can see when games are going the wrong way he doesn’t have a clue what to do.

Dear God. World Cup semi-final, Euro final. Only 2 goals conceded in open play throughout the whole tournament,

Better than anyone since Alf Ramsey.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

Just now, ScrumpyJack said:

He didn’t take a penalty, he wasted a penalty.

At least he said "yeah I'll take 1"

Clearly most of those on the field before the subs didn't fancy it, because they knew if they missed they'd receive a barrel load of abuse from England "fans"

• Sad 1

Guest Col city fan
Just now, Unabomber said:

His quiff seems pretty robust doesn’t seem to sag during the 90

You’re on form tonight Una

😆

Just now, Nalis said:

Counter point - surely getting to a first major final in 55 years is a reason to get excited as you dont know when it will happen again.

Bit like us with the FA Cup Final.

Get excited yes. Hope for victory yes.

But the national reaction to England getting to the final was nothing like what we had with ours - it was more like the reaction AFTER we had won it.

It was even apparent in some of the build up on the BBC - the voices from people in the players distant past, that’s a thing to do after they’ve won the thing, not before a final.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, EnderbyFox said:

Italy dominated the game go be fair, helped by the fact that Mount was invisible for most of the game so Kane was having to play up top and midfield.

Just saw a stat that Veratti had more touches than Rice, Phillips, Henderson and Mount put together. Mad 

The decision to bring Henderson on was crazy. He was useless tonight 

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Mason Mount is the most overrated footballer I’ve ever clapped eyes on.

He's got a very good engine and is a good give and go type player, who moves the ball quickly and simply and is always available for a pass. But he should be played as an 8 alongside a CDM and then we can play a proper 10 in behind the striker. Mount is simply not creative enough to play there.

• Like 1

It’s easy to pick off the ones who went to battle from afar. I genuinely think that with a few tweaks here or there, this England team are capable of more. Problem is with international tournaments you have to wait for your next chance and often others have progressed as well, but there’s no reason why England can’t win the World Cup.

Like I said, few tweaks here and there and they will be there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

It's the modern style of management in this country.  Rodgers is just the same.

Score a goal and play a game of defence vs attack until the opposition pegs you back.  Try and hit them on the counter.  It's a load of old bollocks and needs a rethink.

Weren't we kinda good at that in 2015/16? Weren't Italy themselves renowned for doing that successfully? I think it's a valid strategy with the right players.  

5 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

I’d like to think that most could see we’ve massively overachieved in this tournament and afford a good degree of credit for the manager and team who got us there. Everyone is disappointed with tonight, but the scapegoating and blame culture is just not for me tbh. But you guys crack on

I'm not scapegoating mate. I said Southgate deserved credit for getting us to the final but his conservatism ultimately cost us. That's not an emotional response, it's what I saw. Do you agree with barely using Sancho or Rashford, then throwing them on with 90 seconds left to take a penalty, in front of 70,000? Why not throw them on with 10 minutes of extra time left so they can influence the game or at least touch the ball before having to beat a 6ft 6 keeper from 12 yards?

If Southgate continues, of which there seems to be little doubt, I hope he learns from this. 

• Like 1

The worst thing is I’d just started to care (when Pickford saved the first penalty), literally the first time this whole tournament I have jumped up in excitement. 
And then slap, England do it to me again. 35 years of tournament disappointment. 

:(

Oh well Community Shield here we come!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

The way I see it, I have to say totally disillusioned with his 8 defender approach.

But the question is (and I don’t know the answer to this) we reached our 1st final since 66.

Would we have lost earlier being more attacking??

That's a good question.  I don't know the answer either.

Fans want to see attacking football on the front foot.  As a fan, I'm no different.  If we;re going to go down, let's go down fighting.  Let's not have any 'if onlys'.  I hate to see teams retreat into their shells, park the bus and protect a goal lead.  You're just asking to be punished.

I accept however, that fans often don't know best.