Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

****ing gutted. But my old grandad would have loved that bless him, so that ones for him. Got to take the small victories. Had a proper shit time with Covid have Italy, as have we, so I can’t begrudge them that. 

We’ll win the proper bastard next winter anyway. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Dear God. World Cup semi-final, Euro final. Only 2 goals conceded in open play throughout the whole tournament,

Better than anyone since Alf Ramsey.

As I said very lucky. Both tournaments the draws were unusually kind. It’s incredible that a manager with southgates CV was ever given the job. It’s even more incredible he’s kept it when he looks out of his depth whenever anything gets a bit tough. I never have confidence that he will make the right change or have the ability to out think the opposition manager. He’s the weak link in this team.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Southgate did ‘give’ the 5th penno to Saka then and has taken responsibility.

I’m afraid it was a shocking choice given the circumstances. I said it before the penalty was taken and don’t understand the thought behind that decision 

What on earth goes through that mans head, I know he has a hard on for Mount and Saka, but it was so obvious today they were both out of their depth.

To actively put Saka on that penalty when he’d looked like he was caught in the headlights as soon as he came on defies belief.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I think it's also acceptable to think that Southgate has done a good job with this side but that he's also not the right man to take us forward long term. He's created a decent culture and has won over a lot of fans for the national side but I feel we'd benefit from a more tactically astute manager (like Mancini for example). 

Sometimes you can do a good job but it still be the right time for you to leave. Only slight problem with that is the world cup now only being a year away

I think that Southgate suffers from the fact that he has done nothing in club football.  Three years with Boro including relegation.  That's it.  Gets the u21 job and lucks out in getting the senior job when Allardyce self-destructs.  Because of this, I think that England fans have very little faith in Southgate in the first place.  He appears to have been over-promoted and out of his depth, so if things go right it is despite him.  When things go wrong it's because of him.

Southgate's lack of experience means that I don't really know if he's any good, but he has certainly never done anything to deserve the top job.  He might be a genius (he might not) but usually a manager has to prove himself and earn the England job.

At least he's not Hodgson.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, Babylon said:

What on earth goes through that mans head, I know he has a hard on for Mount and Saka, but it was so obvious today they were both out of their depth.

To actively put Saka on that penalty when he’d looked like he was caught in the headlights as soon as he came on defies belief.

👍

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

And that, basically, is the fact of the matter. 

It's an absolutely sickening way to lose it, but they're a better side, they fully deserve the trophy. They have been throughout. We are organised, we're a tough nut to crack, but we lack that bit of quality in midfield for me. Rice (who I thought for the most part had as good a game as I've seen him have tonight) and Phillips are good but neither really dictate a game. Their midfield is superior.

The ordering of the penalty shootout was ridiculous. Saka's penalty is shocking for a player of his talent, but the management and experienced heads should never have allowed that to happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Shouldn’t the senior players be stepping forward? In fairness slabhead did and took a cracking penalty. 

It was a bit wet from England as a whole in that shootout, crumbled when composure was paramount.

Talking about our "run", I don't think anyone anywhere (Euro's or World Cup) will get a quarter final opponent easier than that Ukraine side and then meet Denmark in the Semi's? We played at a good level in those games and vs Germany, Croatia and Czech Republic but to get to the last two at the next World Cup when you add Brazil and Argentina to France, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Portugal and Germany can't be anything like as open an opportunity as this was. I like the way we dealt with Germany at last and the run of clean sheets was impressive whoever you're playing but we couldn't beat Scotland. The players and manager are saying what I'd expect at this stage but if we're not going to give a Grealish more than 20 minutes at home in a wide open tournament flair players might as well pack it in and focus on becoming water carriers like Mount to get a start.

Edited by fazzyfox
Added Portugal to list of daunting opponents
  • Like 3

So. We lose. But we are not good at that(surprisingly by now) and we now have two black players to blame.

And we are doing just that.

And that’s why I hate and am embarrassed by large majorities of this country’s population.

Absolute *****.

The best team won. Deal with it.

8 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Well Gareth just summed up his mindset in that interview - "If we had gambled (bringing on attacking players) then we could have lost it in extra time..."

How about, gambling to win it! Deary me. I know hindsight is all very well, but it was screaming out for changes and us to go and try win it without the curse of penalties to decide it 

bUt hE bEaT gErMaNy 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

As I said very lucky. Both tournaments the draws were unusually kind. It’s incredible that a manager with southgates CV was ever given the job. It’s even more incredible he’s kept it when he looks out of his depth whenever anything gets a bit tough. I never have confidence that he will make the right change or have the ability to out think the opposition manager. He’s the weak link in this team.

You still haven't addressed the facts that he has got us to a WC semi final and a Euro final. Who cares if he came from Middlesbrough, he's still achieved more than any other England manager since 1966. What did the "higher profile" managers achieve? The likes of Sven, Capello, Robson, Venables? All never got us this far in 2 successive major international competitions.

Do you know where Alf Ramsey, as a manger came from? Ipswich. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

• Like 4

Saka taking that last pen is mad. Gareth made that decision and it was so wrong! But tbf he lost us the game after about 30mins. Never seen such a negative display from a manager. Annoyingly we could’ve easily won that if we had stuck to our guns. 

• Like 4

If it was cruel to let a 19 year old take the 5th penalty perhaps he should never have made the squad.

You accept the call up to the squad for the finals, you know massive pressure and expectancy is on your shoulders you just hope you can avoid that situation where real pressure is on you?

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Sweet you’re alive thank the lord 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nick said:

So. We lose. But we are not good at that(surprisingly by now) and we now have two black players to blame.

And we are doing just that.

And that’s why I hate and am embarrassed by large majorities of this country’s population.

Absolute *****.

The best team won. Deal with it.

Don't make this about racism. We lost, I'm broken hearted lets not make this political.