Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

9 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think that Southgate suffers from the fact that he has done nothing in club football.  Three years with Boro including relegation.  That's it.  Gets the u21 job and lucks out in getting the senior job when Allardyce self-destructs.  Because of this, I think that England fans have very little faith in Southgate in the first place.  He appears to have been over-promoted and out of his depth, so if things go right it is despite him.  When things go wrong it's because of him.

Southgate's lack of experience means that I don't really know if he's any good, but he has certainly never done anything to deserve the top job.  He might be a genius (he might not) but usually a manager has to prove himself and earn the England job.

At least he's not Hodgson.

Capello, Hodgson, Eriksson, McClaren. How did they prove themselves before getting the job?

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

What on earth goes through that mans head, I know he has a hard on for Mount and Saka, but it was so obvious today they were both out of their depth.

To actively put Saka on that penalty when he’d looked like he was caught in the headlights as soon as he came on defies belief.

Should have been swapped. Have Saka take the first and Kane take the last. 

12 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Well Gareth just summed up his mindset in that interview - "If we had gambled (bringing on attacking players) then we could have lost it in extra time..."

How about, gambling to win it! Deary me. I know hindsight is all very well, but it was screaming out for changes and us to go and try win it without the curse of penalties to decide it 

We lost it anyways. If ever there were a redundant phrase! 

3 minutes ago, Royston. said:

If it was cruel to let a 19 year old take the 5th penalty perhaps he should never have made the squad.

You accept the call up to the squad for the finals, you know massive pressure and expectancy is on your shoulders you just hope you can avoid that situation where real pressure is on you?

True but I think it was clear to see the occasion had got to him long before the penalty shootout. Utterly baffling that he was allowed to take a penalty let alone the all important 5th 

• Like 1

Just now, Parafox said:

You still haven't addressed the facts that he has got us to a WC semi final and a Euro final. Who cares if he came from Middlesbrough, he's still achieved more than any other England manager since 1966. What did the "higher profile" managers achieve? The likes of Sven, Capello, Robson, Venables? All never got us this far in 2 successive major international competitions.

I did though. I said it happened because of a lucky draw both times. Look at the teams we beat over both tournaments, any average manager could have done the same. This run to the final was predictable before the tournament started! 

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

My man. Good lad. See you in 6 weeks when city kick us all off again :thumbup: been a great 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

Facts; England European championships finalists 2020/1

England World Cup semi finalists 2018

England European championships semi finalists 1996

England World Cup semi finalists 1990

Who we played doesn’t matter, it’s where we got to. The rest is just excuses to support your argument. Like it or not Southgate has been the most successful manager for England for decades, to argue otherwise makes you sound like those weirdos that have an agenda against Rodgers after he brought tha fa cup home.  

Edited by Vlad the Fox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Don't make this about racism. We lost, I'm broken hearted lets not make this political.

I don't think Nick is specifically doing so. I read it more as how things have been on social media towards those black players in the aftermath of the game. 

• Thanks 1

I think the Grealish sub annoys me the most. The penalities were bad but we shouldn't have been playing for them.

Is there a BTEC in "How to play attacking football and not play for penalties" we can send Southgate on before the next tournament?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

True but I think it was clear to see the occasion had got to him long before the penalty shootout. Utterly baffling that he was allowed to take a penalty let alone the all important 5th 

Which proves this tournament was too early for him.

5 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Saka taking that last pen is mad. Gareth made that decision and it was so wrong! But tbf he lost us the game after about 30mins. Never seen such a negative display from a manager. Annoyingly we could’ve easily won that if we had stuck to our guns. 

So so annoying, this Italy team are absolutely nothing to be feared and after going 1-0 up imagine if he'd dared to put the foot on the throat and go for it. 

Genuinely I could have seen a 3 or 4-1 England win

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't think Nick is specifically doing so. I read it more as how things have been on social media towards those black players in the aftermath of the game. 

I hope youre right, we win as a team we lose as a team. Mount has done fvck all, all tournament but i'm not blaming his colour.

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Don't make this about racism. We lost, I'm broken hearted lets not make this political.

Have seen what’s going on on social media?

it’s abhorrent. It’s political. And a large proportion of this country are absolute *****.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Facts; England European championships finalists 2020/1

England World Cup semi finalists 2018

England European championships semi finalists 1996

England World Cup semi finalists 1990

All failures even if you feel they deserve a pat on the back for going so far

1 minute ago, Nick said:

Have seen what’s going on on social media?

it’s abhorrent. It’s political. And a large proportion of this country are absolute *****.

The world is full of cvnts, don't judge the country on a minority of loudmouths.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I did though. I said it happened because of a lucky draw both times. Look at the teams we beat over both tournaments, any average manager could have done the same. This run to the final was predictable before the tournament started! 

So would you say Croatia, Scotland and the Chech's had a lucky draw? The draw is what it is. We avoided the so called group of death, whatever that means. We won the group ffs. Why is it so often that so-called England supporters will never give this team or this manager credit?

16 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Well Gareth just summed up his mindset in that interview - "If we had gambled (bringing on attacking players) then we could have lost it in extra time..."

How about, gambling to win it! Deary me. I know hindsight is all very well, but it was screaming out for changes and us to go and try win it without the curse of penalties to decide it 

He's basically saying "We didn't fancy a game of football in the end because we might have lost it" but he was happy to go to penalties for what he must have felt was the better chance. Had that happened I can't imagine people coming out afterwards and saying "Why oh why didn't he hold out for penalties".The headline that we lost on penalties is overshadowing the more relevant fact that we didn't beat them over 2 hours of open play, that's what needs the analysis. Best way to avoid losing on penalties....sort it out before that.

• Like 2

Some of the nonsense people are coming out with. Got an acquaintance arguing with me that Chiellini deserved a red for the shirt pull because "he was choking him and threw him to the ground". I saw one of the world's best defenders, 17 years older than an attacker, stop a move and take his card like a man.

• Like 1

Don’t think a lot of people have played competitive football. 

When you 1 up, you naturally back yourself to finish it off. And it took an awful scrambled goal for Italy to equalise. 

Otherwise there was nothing that Italy did what really hurts us. Extra time cantered along with that caution for both teams.

Just now, Webbo said:

The world is full of cvnts, don't judge the country on a minority of loudmouths.

Its a massive ‘minority’ and this country needs to take a long, hard and reflective look at itself. We are a ****ing embarrassment.

• Like 3

Just now, fazzyfox said:

He's basically saying "We didn't fancy a game of football in the end because we might have lost it" but he was happy to go to penalties for what he must have felt was the better chance. Had that happened I can't imagine people coming out afterwards and saying "Why oh why didn't he hold out for penalties".The headline that we lost on penalties is overshadowing the more relevant fact that we didn't beat them over 2 hours of open play, that's what needs the analysis. Best way to avoid losing on penalties....sort it out before that.

It was a painful watch. I was feeling quite optimistic throughout because I knew we had some great attacking talent on the bench...  :facepalm:

• Like 1