Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I find myself saying it every time we go out of a tournament but we've just not got that controlling midfielder. Rice and Phillips are both good players but neither get in Italy's side. Their midfield is excellent.

And maybe this is where we fall short. Not the fault of anyone, but what we have available to us. This team has a lot of potential though and hopefully these short falls can be sorted out in time for the World Cup or a solution can be found. 

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I find myself saying it every time we go out of a tournament but we've just not got that controlling midfielder. Rice and Phillips are both good players but neither get in Italy's side. Their midfield is excellent.

Pirlo

Xavi

Toni Kroos

Moutinho (TBF the Portugal team was pretty average, so maybe this doesn't count)

Pogba (a totally different player for France)

Veratti / Jorginho

That pretty much sums up the best teams since 2006 in European and World football. Every team has such a player, the metronome that makes the team tick. The only English player in my lifetime I can think of that is anywhere near close to being that player was Michael Carrick.  

Not a massive southgate fan at all. I feel as though the players could have had no manager and got to where  we were.... bit of a slight salty over reaction though :)

World cup semis, euro finals...3rd times a charm for southgate? Sigh.

Thats two finals my teams have lost this week. First montreal (NHL) now England. Tough week!

7 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Fair enough but who of those I mentioned, took us further than Southgate ?

Tbf my original point was that any success with Southgate is viewed as despite him and failure viewed because of him, because he has not earned the job.  I even said he might be a genius, I just don't know, because he hasn't had a full club management career.

Just to be clear, I don't think he is a genius.

You're making a different point all together and comparing different squads, eras and against different competition.  I can tell you that they all won exactly the same amount of trophies.  

You like him, that's fine, but you can't argue that he earned the post and that's all I was saying.  He got it because of a quirk of fate (Allardyce).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Do you know where Alf Ramsey, as a manger came from? Ipswich. 

Erm, what after taking them from the third tier to winning the first division? I don't think anybody would throw "he's done nothing" at Southgate if he'd done that lol.

There's no point going over England's last WC run but it's unquestionable that the first half decent team we faced we lost. Then lost again in the third place playoff. I definitely think we did better overall in this tournament but it can also be argued we were lucky to get to the final because an OG and dubious pen' squeezed us through the Semis (though unlike in the final we did deserve to win). In the final we had two very good teams of players, both have the ability to win. And on the sideline we had Mancini and Southgate. And in this game both showed their worth. So I don't get why you're shocked that people point at Southgate. Taking off Rice to put on Henderson isn't some managerial masterclass (especially as it was the same thing he'd done in previous matches when we were winning). Not playing Grealish earlier (not even putting him on a the START of extra time but still waiting). Not even playing those pen' takers earlier so they at least could do something even if meant touching the ball before taking probably the most pressured moments in their young lives. Clearly Southgate isn't good when it comes to this end of a tournament. I don't think he's going anywhere so I really hope he learns from this. He made the same mistakes against Croatia, where VARDY sat on the bench until the 112 min ffs. And again today. I wonder if he did the same in the next WC you might change your tune. 

• Like 2

I’ve just got in, not read a single post on here since about 4 o clock today. Just want to say how proud I am to be an England fan this year. What a run and what an effort, in the end unlucky,  must admit I am pissed and will need to watch the penalties again as didn’t watch them properly at the pub as was too nervous. But there is more to come from these lads let’s get behind them next year at the World Cup, and stay positive, Come on you lions.  Wounded tonight.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Don’t get why they didn’t just pick a corner and put their laces through it.

More annoying that we picked two youngsters to take penalties as well in Saka and Sancho when there were more experienced heads on the field. But as you say, I’m proud and glad we got to the final - it ain’t like we aren’t used to losing being English! 

The Sancho thing was odd too. Is inexperienced, young, hardly played any minutes in the tournament. So just sub him on to take the most important kick of the game? Bad choices. Bad misses.

• Like 1

Got to the pub where I'd watched most of the tournament and every single England match after the match had finished today.

Owner see me and says "Harry, where the hell were you? "You were here for every match and you stay home to watch the final???" 

Apparently I'm 100% to blame for the loss today lol

Sorry lads!

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Just got back from the game....

I've been to a lot of games in my life but the walk from the station to the ground was literally the pits.

I've seen trouble at hundreds of games in my life and it's usually obvious. The walk there was bizarre, fans throwing glass bottle everywhere like it was an away game. Totally weird. What it was aimed at I've no idea, fortunately I didn't see anyone hit but one person had a very near miss. 

The atmosphere in the ground was magnificent. The better team won but I thought we were unlucky. 

Onwards.

Watched the game with fellow England fans in a bar in NY state and what got me at the end was a crying kid decked out in England gear being consoled by his Mum. Went and spoke to them and he’s American born but fvcking loves England, where his parents are from. Got me thinking how a number of other countries just don’t have this national surge behind something that for the last 55 years has ended in tears. Something about that and seeing it’s affect on that kid made me even more proud tonight. Wouldn’t have it any other way. Love you England ❤️

• Like 4

So many of you guys dont know how blessed you are, to be able to slag off Southgate for guiding England to the  final of Euros and conceding to Italy in the penalty shootout lol

But I can understand the sentiment... it does feel like he keeps the offensive potential of the team in the locker and does his best to forget about the key. Still, a final is IMO a fantastic achievement and Southgate deserves the praise. 

As a side note I though players taking off their runner up medals was a poor show, I never like when they do that. I understand being upset after a loss but by doing this you disrespect the other teams and the whole idea of the beautiful game... Many great players will never get a chance to even sniff the Euros silver so it felt a bit rich especially from those who werent exactly swimming in trophies in their careers. Well done to those who didnt do it like Henderson. Those who did have some maturing to do. 

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Got to the pub where I'd watched most of the tournament and every single England match after the match had finished today.

Owner see me and says "Harry, where the hell were you? "You were here for every match and you stay home to watch the final???" 

Apparently I'm 100% to blame for the loss today lol

Sorry lads!

The scenes outside are painful. Keep your doors locked, shutters closed and stay in the dark. Lol

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

i find it funny how they take it straight off yet it will probably be their only medal they will wear around their necks ever

Its not like a silver medal in the mens 50k skiing event though where you are happy to be top 3.

You literally lost a game and nobody will give a shite. I suspect after the pain subsides it will be seen as an accomplishment to a point but i dont get bent out of shape if i see them being upset about losing. It shows me they care, are ticked off and want blood.

5 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Final thought…

… as a nation, we are all to blame for getting way over excited at being in the final.

On the whole it seemed like we were celebrating that achievement as if we’d actually won the thing.

Champions don’t celebrate getting to the final - because they know the job is yet to be done.

Hopefully, if it doesn’t take us 55 years to get to another one, next time we can keep our shit together and remember there’s still a job to do.

Quietly thought this myself.

5 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Shouldn’t the senior players be stepping forward? In fairness slabhead did and took a cracking penalty. 

It was a bit wet from England as a whole in that shootout, crumbled when composure was paramount.

Southgate said he chose the takers. Trying to take the heat or the truth who knows. But Saka shouldn’t be the 5th taker.

Guest Col city fan
4 hours ago, Koke said:

Not good 

I said in this thread during the match, that Verratti was taking control of the game. Someone should have stopped him. That was exactly what our formation was meant to do.