Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

4 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Whether you agree with Jibbing or not why would you start bashing your own fans up. Odd behaviour that

Whether I agree with jibbing or not? Could you stop calling it that, it's like you are trying to glamorise it. Why the feck would anyone agree with criminal behaviour, let alone stuff that puts others at risk. They weren't jumping on a train without paying FFS. 

Why would I start bashing my own fans, well errrrr... perhaps all the criminal behaviour stuff. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Feed The Yak!! said:

Absolutely astonishing that some on here have the gall to call Italy cheats after sterling and kane's egregious dives both last night and against Denmark. 

The delusion and hypocrisy of some England fans never ceases to amaze. Better team won.

England are not squeaky clean by any means but Italy are the worst in the world. Oh and Sterling didn't dive, cheers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Whether you agree with Jibbing or not why would you start bashing your own fans up. Odd behaviour that

How do you know they were all England fans? 

8 minutes ago, Feed The Yak!! said:

Absolutely astonishing that some on here have the gall to call Italy cheats after sterling and kane's egregious dives both last night and against Denmark. 

The delusion and hypocrisy of some England fans never ceases to amaze. Better team won.

And this is my point from earlier in the thread proven. It’s fine for Italy to cheat but not England. You absolute weapon. Sterling didn’t dive, he was caught twice. The ref gave the penalty and it was backed by VAR. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's hilarious. 

Italy boo anthems "nothing"

England boo anthems "disgrace, I'm supporting Italy"

England player goes down "dive, I'm supporting Italy"

Italian goes down "tumbleweed". 

I mean just admit you don't like England rather than searching for an excuse. 

My favourite is "I'm supporting Italy as English fans are racist". 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/04/inter-fans-tell-romelu-lukaku-monkey-chants-in-italy-are-not-racist

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Reality is people don't like England because they understand English and can read/listen to our media. For all we know Italian and Spanish media are arrogant and horrible but who the **** knows cos nobody outside Italy speaks ****ing Italian. 

English being widely spoken in the world is why people grow to dislike England. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

There was some goon on twitter last night saying he as wanting England to lose because of the fans. (He was English). I pointed out that 99.99999999% of fans aren't like that, and he said he knew that. He wanted them to lose because he wasn't a fan..... but you're a fan of Italy? "No". 

God there are so many self loathing people in this country who just want to self flagellate. 

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

They were better than us. We were nothing special at all throughout most of the tournament. Solid, well organised, but ultimately felt a bit like the Puel style solidity where it's because we surrender loads going forward in order to achieve this. I think Spain would've probably beaten us too. We've taken steps forward but there are still flaws and you can't help but feel it's another missed opportunity.

Definitely an opportunity missed, but I don’t think Italy were better than us, otherwise they would have won in normal time.

Bottom line is that GS messed up, but will still come out the hero. 

Doesn’t matter how talented our players are if they don’t have the necessary bottle when the pressure is on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koke said:

Reality is people don't like England because they understand English and can read/listen to our media. For all we know Italian and Spanish media are arrogant and horrible but who the **** knows cos nobody outside Italy speaks ****ing Italian. 

Bingo. 

1 minute ago, Koke said:

We don't do ourselves any favours though, do we? Just look at all those melts yesterday that stormed their way into Wembley without a ticket. It's true that every nation has their fair share of idiots. Unfortunately we have more than our fair share.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bert said:

And this is my point from earlier in the thread proven. It’s fine for Italy to cheat but not England. You absolute weapon. Sterling didn’t dive, he was caught twice. The ref gave the penalty and it was backed by VAR. 

No team is free from playacting. It's just a feature of the modern game and unfortunately it won't go away until it's punished more severely.

So no it's absolutely not 'fine' for Italy to do it but not England. The problem is the hypocrisy. The footage of Immobile jumping to his feet after Italy's goal against Belgium got replayed time and time again on all English media outlets. So many smug, superior comments from the pundits as well.

You can argue that Sterling didn't dive against Denmark because the penalty was given (even though very few neutrals watching would agree with you) but how does that apply to last night? I'd urge you to rewatch the game if you claim it didn't happen but Sterling threw himself to the ground on at least 3 occasions and the ref was having absolutely none of it. Similar story with Kane.

England fans in this thread are claiming that Italy 'are the worst cheats in the world' without a shred of self awareness though so clearly nothing has been learnt whatsoever lol

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

You haven't had the embarrasments of 2006-16 but its not as if ye have beaten many elite sides either.

Even if they had gone further in 2014-16 they would have met a vastly better side than Southgate did,

That does reflect badly on the other sides yes but England didnt beat anyone of note outside of a past their best Germany.Of the teams ranked by the odds before the tournament. 5 of the 6 England played were outside the top 8. Italy overcame 2 of the top 8 plus England.

I wasn't really that impressed watching England in the tournament outside of Ukraine. Its not as if there was many Gazza 96 or Owen 98 moments of genius. Germany was rather dull for 70 minutes or so. Even last night after a perfect start they didnt look any way threatening. The most sustained pressure in the match was by Italy in the Third quarter.

Yet again Harry Kane was found wanting on the big occasion. In Jamie Vardy England has one of the top strikers in World Football the last 6 years but he never got much of a look in. I felt sorry for Calvert Lewin at times.

If England evolve then they will be in the shake up in the years ahead but won't win trophies as long as Southgate is around.

This isn't far off for me. Unimpressive football only really works out alright if you win the tournament. Barring the Ukraine match, who looked shellshocked from the minute they conceded the first, England looked pedestrian for large swathes of the competition. In a way, you can't really blame them for that. It was working, they were getting through the draw, so stuck with what they were doing well. 

Personally, I thought Kane was alright in the first half hour, he had a lot of work to do because Mount was ineffective and consequently looked shattered by 50 minutes in. I commented to my old man that Kane would be kept on for the possible eventually of penalties regardless of whether he looked knackered or not, and so it proved. His last 90 minutes on the pitch were pretty awful. No point in going over the treatment of Vardy again, but that has inevitably put a lot of Leicester fans off England and you can understand why.

I've already had my say on the lack of subs when we were clearly struggling, the lack of subs to try and win it in extra time and the utterly bizarre 118th minute subs and penalty taking line up, not much else to say on that.

On your last line, England will need to evolve, as you say. It's unlikely they'll win trophies whomever is in charge, they haven't done until this point with one exception. Southgate is at a crossroads now, his style of management/coaching/team set up, has taken England further than most before him, but it ultimately hasn't worked. He does deserve praise and seems like a thoroughly decent bloke, but elite sport is cut-throat and he's trying to learn on the job. He stayed passive when Croatia took a total grip of our World Cup semi and did the same last night. He must learn this time, change tack and become a more offensive manager. That is possible, not sure whether it is probable. Winning something though, is a tough ask for anyone, as has proven the case this time again. There's a stunningly short list of English managers to take over and we didn't do too well with Foreign trophy machines like Sven and Capello anyway.

Like the last World cup, it's been a unifying campaign for the England players and most of their fans, that can't be all bad. It will always seem like a missed opportunity though, probably the biggest one to date, given it wasn't a vintage Italian team in the final.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I 100% believe that because there was a moment on camera that saw Grealish looking surprised as Southgate mouthed something to him which looked to be what number pen he would be taking.

I think he was down as number 6.

Pickford was 6th