Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I'm sure there are. They can always be found without looking too hard but I don't think any from the last two tournaments include anything as bad as previous times. 

Some of the stuff knocking around of Old Firm trouble or even Scotland fans in London last month are not great either. 

I didn't see too much from Scotland fans in London in all honesty. Being pissed drunk and making a mess but there didn't seem to be too much aggression or trouble. 

As for the Old firm, there is no excuse. That's why I don't support Rangers. I was brought up a die hard. Went to every game for years. Sang the songs and done the chants and then I grew up. As soon as I was able to understand it, and realised that it was integrated in who the club where, I walked away. Cut all ties and even though it was tough, never looked back. That was about 15 years ago. 

At the end of the day, you choose who you are associated with and I made the decision not to be associated with the sort of club that attracted that type of person. 

If England fans continue to ignore or excuse that same element of their fans, I fear you will have to choose between walking away from them or being lumped in with them. 

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

....As for the English fans behaviour? No one expected anything less. In the eyes of the world, this is what England fans are and although no one is stupid enough to believe that it is anywhere near the majority, it's clear that it is a bigger minority than most nations and it isn't down to us to change how we see you, it's down to you as a collective fanbase to change how the world sees you.

Again, well done on a great tournament and hopefully the hurt of losing out doesn't last too long because I feel the potential your squad has is very scary. 

Easier said than done.  

Found this quote attributed to an eighteenth century French traveller:

"They will break panes of glass and smash the windows of coaches, and also knock you down without the slightest compunction. On the contrary, they will roar with laughter".

(Upon attending a football game in 18th century England)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

At the end of the day, you choose who you are associated with and I made the decision not to be associated with the sort of club that attracted that type of person. 

If it's your club yes, not if it's your nation.

I don't go and watch England play but I hope they win. I don't ignore the thuggish element but I don't post about it on social media. What do you want me to do? 

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

There's honestly very little for fans to do, it's up to authorities. 

That's just not true. 

The people that do these things aren't ghosts. They are people with jobs, families etc and there WILL be people out there who know who they are. Add to that the fact that 99% of folk present when these things happen have the ability to record them and hand it over to authorities then it should be nigh on impossible for them to get away with it. 

But this culture of protecting them and saying nothing is letting them get away with it. These people are shitebags. If they knew that they wouldn't get away with it.... they wouldn't do it. Pure and simple. 

Football hooliganism has been a thing for as long as football has.

It isn't new. It's not okay either, but it's reported on as though it's a new, emerging brand of xenophobia and violence. Football does as football is. It's a sport primarily for the working classes. I'm not sure what people expect.

Roll your eyes and move on.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

But this culture of protecting them and saying nothing is letting them get away with it. These people are shitebags. If they knew that they wouldn't get away with it.... they wouldn't do it. Pure and simple. 

How is there "a culture of protecting them"? 

I've lived in different countries I am extremely confident you are more likely to get in trouble with the law for racism and football hooliganism in England than elsewhere. 

Edited by bovril

To be honest, I don't know how I've ended up in a discussion about this. 

I came here to offer my condolences on the loss and congratulations on a good tournament. 

That's all I have to say on the matter. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, murphy said:

Easier said than done.  

Found this quote attributed to an eighteenth century French traveller:

"They will break panes of glass and smash the windows of coaches, and also knock you down without the slightest compunction. On the contrary, they will roar with laughter".

(Upon attending a football game in 18th century England)

18th century? That was most probably rugby football. Association football didn't start until 1863.

4 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

18th century? That was most probably rugby football. Association football didn't start until 1863.

Be mob football. Hallaton Bottle Kicking type games or the ones they do in Ashbourne and Atherstone on Pancake Day.

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

What hateful, spiteful people Conservatives are. Genuinely can't even imagine having a mindset like this.

You should not tar all Conservatives with the same brush. This is just one idiotic MP who is only there through nepotism.

42 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Football hooliganism has been a thing for as long as football has.

It isn't new. It's not okay either, but it's reported on as though it's a new, emerging brand of xenophobia and violence. Football does as football is. It's a sport primarily for the working classes. I'm not sure what people expect.

Roll your eyes and move on.

It used to be tribal, now it’s cultural.

Angry men who are always looking for someone else to blame for their problems, and who feel mobilised and enabled by fvcking shit shows like Brexit. It’s an “us against the world” mentality and it fvcking stinks.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

It used to be tribal, now it’s cultural.

Angry men who are always looking for someone else to blame for their problems, and who feel mobilised and enabled by fvcking shit shows like Brexit. It’s an “us against the world” mentality and it fvcking stinks.

You've listed the same problem and then applied it to modern day issues.

49 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

That was when football was formalised into rules and leagues.  Football had been around for a long time previously.

Football predates rugby which was apparently invented during a game of football by William Webb Ellis who kept picking the ball up.  That was back in 1823 so they were certainly playing football then.

2 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

That's me done with social media for today.  Needs ****ing banning.  

Finger pointing, division, anger.  A full blown culture war.

It's genuinely warping.

The "culture war" has always existed and been in effect.

It's just now that more than one "side" is adequately armed.

6 hours ago, peach0000 said:

The most bizarre decision was not having Kane on the deciding penalty. You put your best most experienced taker on the one that matters most. That’s why Jorginho took italys. Just bizarre decisions.

So Kane wouldn't have taken a penalty at all in your world?  We would already have lost.

• Like 1

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

So Kane wouldn't have taken a penalty at all in your world?  We would already have lost.

Not necessarily. Less pressure on the first couple so you don’t know what would have happened. Put Saka or Sancho (not convinced they should have taken one at all) on the first ones then they may have performed better. Let people like Kane step up for the 5th. It’s standard practise and it’s standard for a reason. 

It’s not hard for a professional player to take a good penalty. It’s the pressure that gets to them and make them **** up. Experience is key and the most experienced takes the hardest one.

3 hours ago, Royston. said:

I don't see Southgate learning/changing cos the FA will be licking his balls for taking England to a final.

Who else since Alf Ramsey has 

I didn't say I saw him changing either, I said it was possible but I wasn't sure it was probable.

I'm still not too sure who people would want to replace him either. Potter? Howe? We don't have English managers experienced at the highest level unfortunately. We tried Capello and Sven and they were as baffled by our players at times as the players seemed with them. I hope Southgate changes, he's been far from the worst England manager and just needs to be more reactionary when things are going wrong. We can all argue about who should be picked, but that's all opinion and white noise. Southgate needs to adopt a slightly different attitude and game plan. Conservative managers tend to remain conservative managers though, so I'm dubious as to whether it'll happen..

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I know I don't fully get the whole Fan Culture enthusiasm, fawning over tifos and ultras and acting like away days are the best experience in human history. It's just not really my thing but, fair play, each to their own. 

But you've got to be an absolute tool of the highest order to be defending anyone that tried to force their way in to the stadium or even bemoaning heavy handed treatment of them. 

I don't defend them but I don't blame them trying to get into a game which probably will be the biggest of our lifetime. The footage shows as well that they didn't exaclty take the security seriously which is ****ing stupid. Especially as they reckoned quite a few had jibbed the Denmark game

56 minutes ago, murphy said:

That was when football was formalised into rules and leagues.  Football had been around for a long time previously.

Football predates rugby which was apparently invented during a game of football by William Webb Ellis who kept picking the ball up.  That was back in 1823 so they were certainly playing football then.

Was that the era when the tigers used to win things?