Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

1 minute ago, Fox in the house said:

Well alan Shearer said it was a sending off , and other people  I know said the same today , at the end of the day he was cheating! Blatant no black arts , but anyway I'm  glad I made you laugh,  we all needed that today.

Yet they laughed at Immobile caught cheating and trying to win a penalty earlier in the tournament. Its almost like they're biased :D

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Chiellini was never getting a red for that pull on Saka lollollol

Never a red card offence. It's a tactical foul. We'd be lauding it if it was done on Chiesa going the other way.

I wouldn t of lauded Any English or Leicester player...and that was a dangerous Shirt pull und Not a nonchalant tug...

• Haha 1

I get the argument about this being a minority and unfortunately the media have to focus on the bad, rather than the majority of normal behaviour, because it sells! 

Just a shame that these complete willy pullers get any kind of notoriety at all, as it's exactly what they want. 

I'd have a whole unit viewing the footage and slapping them with heavy fines and bans. Take away any privilege they think they deserve until they can stop behaving like animals (never)

3 hours ago, ealingfox said:

What hateful, spiteful people Conservatives are. Genuinely can't even imagine having a mindset like this.

Still surprises me that people see them as a patriotic party. Not that that matters to me, vote for whomever you want of course, but maybe think twice when talking about how other politicians "hate the country". 

Just now, Unabomber said:

He nearly decapitated the poor lad 

It was borderline it certainly was nasty and dirty play. I just knew they wouldn’t give a red for it though, despite pretty much being skinned and having to rip the guys shirt off. They never give reds for blatant fouls to stop an attack.  

Just now, Guest said:

The one I wouldn't have been hugely surprised to see a red for was Jorginho's on Grealish

Yeah I was surprised that wasn’t looked at more, Jorginho seems to come over the top of the ball, looked very dangerous to me. Italy played it really dirty last night far more than what we did. They picked up 5 yellows and should have had more, maybe a red 

The more you look at Penalties the worse it looks for Southgate and some members of the team.

I mean having Rashford, Sancho and Saka taking 3 penalties in a row given England's record was a ticking timebomb waiting to go off on Social Media. If it was pre planned surely someone in the group would have pointed out the potential for a bitter fallout. Maybe take it in 1st(Sancho) 3rd(Saka), 5th(Rashford) order if that was the plan. Or maybe have just 2 of the 3 take a penalty.

You'd really want a Shaw or Grealish (more experienced players) to think of the greater good. They had reasonably good tournaments so could point to good performances to get there. The 3 lads who missed didn't have that luxury.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I wouldn t of lauded Any English or Leicester player...and that was a dangerous Shirt pull und Not a nonchalant tug...

Regardless it's still not a red card. Laughable that was even a suggestion. Just saltiness to think if it was.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blue ROI said:

The more you look at Penalties the worse it looks for Southgate and some members of the team.

I mean having Rashford, Sancho and Saka taking 3 penalties in a row given England's record was a ticking timebomb waiting to go off on Social Media. If it was pre planned surely someone in the group would have pointed out the potential for a bitter fallout. Maybe take it in 1st(Sancho) 3rd(Saka), 5th(Rashford) order if that was the plan. Or maybe have just 2 of the 3 take a penalty.

You'd really want a Shaw or Grealish (more experienced players) to think of the greater good. They had reasonably good tournaments so could point to good performances to get there. The 3 lads who missed didn't have that luxury.

Totally agree. Playing devil's advocate for a moment, I guess that the thinking may have been that everyone may have to take a penalty anyway, so there was always the chance of one of those 3 missing. That would be shortsighted in the extreme though, for the reasons you've highlighted.

I genuinely can't understand it from any angle, the ones you've mentioned or the 118th minute subbing on of two takers, having penalties 4 & 5 taken by very young players, having players who have barely played taking 3 penalties or having a teenager take the 5th one. It simply makes not an ounce of sense.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Chiellini was never getting a red for that pull on Saka lollollol

Never a red card offence. It's a tactical foul. We'd be lauding it if it was done on Chiesa going the other way.

You and others are saying it’s not a red card offence because you know the rules as they currently stand.

However, I would suggest the IFAB take a serious look at this area and change the rules so blatant acts like that can be punished with a red card.

That incident last night was the clear definition of a ‘Professional Foul’ - stopping the opponent by what ever means necessary with no consideration for the ball in order to stop an attacking move - done with the knowledge that the only consequence was to be shown a largely meaningless card and to concede a free kick miles away from goal. 

It’s a common situation in football where the punishment doesn’t go anywhere near to fitting the crime and the loser in all of this is skilful attacking football  - surely the IFAB can’t be happy with that?

I suppose at some levels a foul such as that could be considered ‘Serious Foul Play’ which is punishable with a red card… but something does need to change here for the good of the game.

12 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think he's a bit headless chicken at times.

Oh for a Tielemans type in midfield. Always been our problem. 

I'd say Phillips was more of a headless chicken Rice was winning balls all over the park and driving forward with the ball 

edit: he needed to add a Foden or Grelish for one of those as like you say not much creativity in there

Edited by whoareyaaa

21 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Yeah I was surprised that wasn’t looked at more, Jorginho seems to come over the top of the ball, looked very dangerous to me. Italy played it really dirty last night far more than what we did. They picked up 5 yellows and should have had more, maybe a red 

The way the referee blew the whistle felt like he was going to dish out a red - it was a sharp blast.

But as Jenas said, Jorginho buried himself into the floor as well which maybe put doubt in Keipers mind as to what exactly happened or just simply gave him time to think and errr on the side of caution quite literally.

Guest StevieLynex

Didn't like the approach taken by most of our players in removing their medal as soon as it was put around their necks - disrespectful. If you had played better, you would have won the thing.