Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

13 hours ago, Foxxed said:

A training ground penalty. Or a penalty in front of 60 000 fans at Wembley?

The first requires little composure and little experience. The second - bit more?

Southgate gives to a 19 year old who's taken zero penalties outside the training ground?

He looked out of his depth and he did no look confident. He looked like a 19 year old kid. Grealish, however, looked calm and collected. And wanted to take a penalty.

Southgate chose the 19 year old kid who's taken zero penalties to stand up in front of 60 000 to make our break our tournament.

And now he's suffering the abuse of an incredibly poor decision, from a manager who was playing for penalties. Shite.

Even experienced players are likely to choke in that scenario though. There's an argument that younger players are naturally more fearless and less scarred by previous events. If experience is so important, why has Henderson missed his last two for England?

Most of the players who have let England down on penalties in the past have been experienced. These are all the players that have missed penalties in shootouts for England in major tournaments: Pearce (28), Waddle (29), Southgate (25), Batty (29), Beckham (28), Vassell (24), Carragher (28), Gerrard (26), Lampard (28), Young (27), Cole (31) and Henderson (28).

If Saka was firing them in training, more so than the likes of Grealish, Shaw etc, then why not give him the chance in the shootout. It's easy with hindsight to say he shouldn't have been the 5th taker, but that's not always how the narrative goes. The first kick can equally as daunting or maybe the 3rd or 4th turn out to be the kick to keep you alive. Sometimes the 5th kick that be the one with the least amount of pressure if it's the one to win it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, andy peake said:

What a ridiculously stupid comment. Why should those people who have paid hard earned money for their tickets, many with young children, have to lose their seats to pissed up, abusive and violent yobs. I don’t think some people are fully understanding the scale of the problems on Sunday night. Yes the security should have been robust but let’s make sure blame lies squarely with those idiots who broke in and continue to bring shame on English football at home and abroad.

Imagine if a terrorist slipped through, don't blame anyone for pushing them back.

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

Even experienced players are likely to choke in that scenario though. There's an argument that younger players are naturally more fearless and less scarred by previous events. If experience is so important, why has Henderson missed his last two for England?

You’ve misrepresented my argument. I’m not saying experienced players won’t miss.

I’m saying is more likely a kid player who’s never taken a penalty before is more likely to miss than an experienced player who has taken penalties.

Rashford and arguably Sancho were okay calls. (Although it would have been nice to give them some more tournament minutes before asking them to kick the most important penalties) But choosing Saka is insane. And choosing Saka over Grealish is insanity.

If someone has no professional experience in something they will more likely fail, compared to someone who has experience. You don’t need hindsight for that. 

I can only assume he decided Saka’a lack of experience and youth made him a good candidate for something that requires experience and composure. Which is the kind of desperate insane thinking you’d get from someone who was traumatised my penalties. At least he’s passed that on to a new generation.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

You’ve misrepresented my argument. I’m not saying experienced players won’t miss.

I’m saying is more likely a kid player who’s never taken a penalty before is more likely to miss than an experienced player who has taken penalties.

Rashford and arguably Sancho were okay calls. (Although it would have been nice to give them some more tournament minutes before asking them to kick the most important penalties) But choosing Saka is insane. And choosing Saka over Grealish is insanity.

If someone has no professional experience in something they will more likely fail, compared to someone who has experience. You don’t need hindsight for that. 

I can only assume he decided Saka’a lack of experience and youth made him a good candidate for something that requires experience and composure. Which is the kind of desperate insane thinking you’d get from someone who was traumatised my penalties. At least he’s passed that on to a new generation.

The same Jack Grealish who hasn't scored a penalty in his professional career? I don't think that is insanity at all. I think if Saka was performing better in training then despite his age it's logical to choose him over Grealish.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Getting abit annoyed at some Italians saying “it’s coming Rome” it doesn’t work. 

It works about as well as English fan's claiming that winning a European Championship means that football has come home to be fair.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ricey said:

The same Jack Grealish who hasn't scored a penalty in his professional career? I don't think that is insanity at all. I think if Saka was performing better in training then despite his age it's logical to choose him over Grealish.

Fair enough. I didn’t realise Grealish hadn’t. I would have marginally preferred him: older, more experienced, confident. But let’s agree to disagree. If you think choosing Saka as the fifth penalty taker was an outstanding decision then great. I’ll leave you in your lovely little waistcoat.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

He was at the game with one of McLaren's sponsors, and wearing the watch was part of his sponsorship commitments. 

My point is EIGHTY THOUSAND DOLLARS.. for a fvcking watch.

That should be illegal... same as 500 million dollar boats. If you have either, you have too much money and need to have the tax office so far up your arse you will pay anything to remove them.

Dont get me started on billionaires going to space.....fvck space, they should fired into the sun

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

My point is EIGHTY THOUSAND DOLLARS.. for a fvcking watch.

That should be illegal... same as 500 million dollar boats. If you have either, you have too much money and need to have the tax office so far up your arse you will pay anything to remove them.

Dont get me started on billionaires going to space.....fvck space, they should fired into the sun

It kind of dampens the desire to be the best if you're not allowed to be rewarded for your hard work

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It kind of dampens the desire to be the best if you're not allowed to be rewarded for your hard work

Do you honestly think that someone like Roman Abramovich, richard branson or bill gates is that much better than you?

Noone needs an $80,000 watch..when people are starving and homeless

25 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Fair enough. I didn’t realise Grealish hadn’t. I would have marginally preferred him: older, more experienced, confident. But let’s agree to disagree. If you think choosing Saka as the fifth penalty taker was an outstanding decision then great. I’ll leave you in your lovely little waistcoat.

I clearly never said it was an outstanding decision, but I also don't think it was insanity. There was clear logic to it but it didn't work out. That's just the way it goes.

43 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Do you honestly think that someone like Roman Abramovich, richard branson or bill gates is that much better than you?

Noone needs an $80,000 watch..when people are starving and homeless

In some repsects, yes ......... they've made the right calls, been in the right places at the right time, been born in the right house (branson),....... i dont know them well enough to know about other stuff. 

and @filbertway didn't mean it quite as you've portrayed it

tarring all the mega wealthy with the same brush isnt fair either. there are some who have worked their balls off for many many years and sacrificed an awful lot to get what they've got. if they've paid their taxes  (and not sought to avoid them) then what's wrong with that ? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

In some repsects, yes ......... they've made the right calls, been in the right places at the right time, been born in the right house (branson),....... i dont know them well enough to know about other stuff. 

and @filbertway didn't mean it quite as you've portrayed it

tarring all the mega wealthy with the same brush isnt fair either. there are some who have worked their balls off for many many years and sacrificed an awful lot to get what they've got. if they've paid their taxes  (and not sought to avoid them) then what's wrong with that ? 

Ill stop at this, coz i know it pisses people off, but... Roman is a crook, Branson and Gates are both extremely privileged as are most other "successes".

No matter how talented people are there should not be such an absurd difference between rich and poverty.

46 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

The last 2 years have been so draining with both Leicester and England throwing decent opportunities away at the final hurdle I don’t even know how to feel about next season. Especially with a World Cup being so close as well. 

That both teams have progressed on a year by year basis, not only that we won the fa cup! I’m very positive about the future for both club and country 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

Didn't like the approach taken by most of our players in removing their medal as soon as it was put around their necks - disrespectful. If you had played better, you would have won the thing.

What do you want them to do kiss it and start singing world in motion? Was the right mentality, chuck it in the bin you either win or you lose.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

What do you want them to do kiss it and start singing world in motion? Was the right mentality, chuck it in the bin you either win or you lose.

I believe Man City did it with their CL medals? if anything it shows the players don’t want to settle for second best; they believe that isn’t good enough and will do their best to ensure they don’t allow themselves to feel that pain of defeat again.