Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The build up for this is as frustrating as it is exciting. We have to put up with people who don't watch football telling us what to do whilst watching football, all in a "we're better than you and scornful that people we feel are beneath us are having a good time" tone. 

The middle classes telling us how awful it is to boo the Italian anthem when anyone with half a brain knows how GSTQ would be whistled hugely if the game was in Rome. People saying that they're supporting Italy because England is "racist".

Obviously I'm desperate to win for footballing reasons but I'd also relish the meltdown from Blue Tick Twitter as much as the game itself.

Yeah majority of people talking like this are predominantly rugby fans who drink each other’s piss like it’s normal. I’ve seen people saying they want Italy to win because Raheem Sterling cheated to win a penalty. They seem to forget Mexico ‘86, South Africa ‘14. 

I’ve seen Italy fans with flags saying “**** the queen” which surprisingly these do gooders haven’t batted an eyelid towards. 

Thursday morning at work we were all talking about the game, laughing and joking about the night before’s antics. A science teacher walked in the staff room, rolled her eyes and went “eeugh, football”. Turns out she’s an avid rugby follower. 

I’m not saying our fans are angels, both Leicester and England have some right mouth breathers following us but the ignorance and arrogance from people who don’t like or get football is beyond embarrassing. 

• Thanks 1

The build up for this is as frustrating as it is exciting. We have to put up with people who don't watch football telling us what to do whilst watching football, all in a "we're better than you and scornful that people we feel are beneath us are having a good time" tone. 

The middle classes telling us how awful it is to boo the Italian anthem when anyone with half a brain knows how GSTQ would be whistled hugely if the game was in Rome. People saying that they're supporting Italy because England is "racist".

Obviously I'm desperate to win for footballing reasons but I'd also relish the meltdown from Blue Tick Twitter as much as the game itself.

lollollol this is by far my favourite.

They should ask Lukaku about his experiences of the fans in Italy or maybe, as a show of European co-operation, they could sit in with the Lazio ultras and prove how much better the continentals are than mean racist England.

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yeah majority of people talking like this are predominantly rugby fans who drink each other’s piss like it’s normal. I’ve seen people saying they want Italy to win because Raheem Sterling cheated to win a penalty. They seem to forget Mexico ‘86, South Africa ‘14. 

I’ve seen Italy fans with flags saying “**** the queen” which surprisingly these do gooders haven’t batted an eyelid towards. 

Thursday morning at work we were all talking about the game, laughing and joking about the night before’s antics. A science teacher walked in the staff room, rolled her eyes and went “eeugh, football”. Turns out she’s an avid rugby follower. 

I’m not saying our fans are angels, both Leicester and England have some right mouth breathers following us but the ignorance and arrogance from people who don’t like or get football is beyond embarrassing. 

Fair to say.

However, might it be possible that there are people out there who do like and get football and still think the aforementioned mouth-breathers are a problem that needs to be sorted out as best as is possible?

NB. Be nice to science teachers, the whole reason all of us can get stuck in on here was in part because of one (who taught Tim Berners-Lee).

• Like 1

Portugal started the trans Atlantic slave trade but they get a lot of love from these same people. Belgium committed some truly barbaric savage uncivilised unspeakable crimes in Africa but people ****ing like/love Belgium. 

Scotland and Wales were part of the British empire that committed atrocities but who cares I guess lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Koke said:

Portugal started the trans Atlantic slave trade but they get a lot of love from these same people. Belgium committed some truly barbaric savage uncivilised unspeakable crimes in Africa but people ****ing like/love Belgium. 

Scotland and Wales were part of the British empire that committed atrocities but who cares I guess lol

This has been chatted about before, but a possible theory on this (though I doubt folks of a mind to speak on the topic right now think it through all that much) while the British Empire did less heinous things than other colonial powers, it did the heinous things it did  across a far greater swath of the world and therefore earned the ire of a greater portion of it. Might be unfair, but it's just an idea.

And I do have to take my hats off to the Scottish and Welsh who did participate (having been the first part conquered of course) but then spun a fantastic bit of PR about it being much less to do with them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StanSP said:

lol

13 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Huh. One of the reasons I want us to win is that we stop banging on about 1966.

Seems the Scots have misjudged us and you'll be disappointed. Even if England win on Sunday, plenty will still bang on about 1966. Unless England win another World cup, that'll never change. 

42 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Fair to say.

However, might it be possible that there are people out there who do like and get football and still think the aforementioned mouth-breathers are a problem that needs to be sorted out as best as is possible?

NB. Be nice to science teachers, the whole reason all of us can get stuck in on here was in part because of one (who taught Tim Berners-Lee).

Yeah I’m one of them!

Cant stand science teachers, most of them at my place are miserable and I hated science at school lol 

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yeah I’m one of them!

Cant stand science teachers, most of them at my place are miserable and I hated science at school lol 

Damn shame, hopefully that's the teacher part rather than the science, certainly wouldn't get me teaching it in the UK lol

Science saves the world, football makes it worth saving.

6 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

I’m in Scotland atm (back before the game tomorrow thankfully), but everyone who has noticed my midlands accent over the last few days has been positive about England winning on Sunday. 

Call me cynical, but that's easy for them to do at the moment. If England win and you return to Scotland on Monday, I'd use sign language for the forseeable.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Stop this shite. (Besides I know plenty of Mexicans who hate the Spanish for their empire).

It’s nothing to do with the empire. Our football is dull and some English fans have shot to fame for being weapons grade bellends. End of.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Seems the Scots have misjudged us and you'll be disappointed. Even if England win on Sunday, plenty will still bang on about 1966. Unless England win another World cup, that'll never change. 

We’ll be about to drone on about two things, not one, variety being the spice of life, and they should know this.

I've had a bottle of Champagne for breakfast, this is going to be a long weekend, I'm in no man's land. Got to pack for my holiday and the gaff is an absolute tip. My bleach blonde hair is going yellower by the second and I'm concerned I'll look like Orville the Duck come Monday. 

THE GREATEST LITTLE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've had a bottle of Champagne for breakfast, this is going to be a long weekend, I'm in no man's land. Got to pack for my holiday and the gaff is an absolute tip. My bleach blonde hair is going yellower by the second and I'm concerned I'll look like Orville the Duck come Monday. 

THE GREATEST LITTLE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

Have you booked next week off work? 

The state of this thread.  After 55 years you've finally made a major finals ... and it's 20% about football, and 80% The Airing Of The Grievances about somebody else's country, behavior, perceived class attitudes, whatever ya got.

We had plans to go down to Cleveland SC to watch them wrap up another Rust Belt Conference title v Syracuse, but that's looking like a rainout.  So I'll be watching this live.  And probably leaving the match thread to you all.

May the best team win.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

They wanted to sing “Football coming home” before the game on the pitch before hand but UFEA said no.

https://news.sky.com/story/euro-2020-uefa-opposed-plans-for-three-lions-to-be-performed-before-final-says-frank-skinner-12352854

Well we can sing it afterwards!

(Hopefully)

UEFA are so pathetic 

Guest bennytwohats
3 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

lollollol this is by far my favourite.

They should ask Lukaku about his experiences of the fans in Italy or maybe, as a show of European co-operation, they could sit in with the Lazio ultras and prove how much better the continentals are than mean racist England.

I must be missing something. I don’t think anyone anywhere has said ‘let’s not boo the Italy national anthem because they’re great and have no problems with racism’, it’s more because it’s (at best) just pretty classless/unsporting, at worst symptomatic of the xenophobia that’s been rife in this country over the past few years. I don’t really see what the Italians’ problems (ignoring the generalisations) have to do with it?

Is the argument here that if someone is a twat to you, the best approach is to be a twat back? I mean by all means, go for it, but be aware that to some, you might come off looking like a bit of a twat