Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester primed to avoid a hat-trick of disappointment - Football365

I'm really looking forward to this season starting. I think Daka and Soumare are both excellent signings on paper. Bertrand is a sensible one if it ever gets announced. KDH and Sowah returning from loans will further improve the depth of the squad, and there could even yet be more signings to come. With any luck (touch wood), we won't be hit quite so hard by injuries this time, as well, and we should be able to stay consistent for longer. I really think we're doing everything the right way and we should be looking to break into the top 4 this time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I would be very surprised if we are anywhere near challenging Top 4 again. We will have a battle for Top 6/7.

If I had a choice, I would take a mid table finish and a run to the EL final.

I'd be interested to know what makes you say this. Who, outside last season's top 4, do you think will be stronger than us?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I would be very surprised if we are anywhere near challenging Top 4 again. We will have a battle for Top 6/7.

I thought this last season but we coped so well for most of the season, especially with all our injuries. Add Soumare, KDH and Daka to the team, along with another years experience for everyone and we're in a much stronger position. We might get even stronger too with Bertrand coming in and potentially a RW as well.

If we don't finish in the top 6 I'll be extremely disappointed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'd be interested to know what makes you say this. Who, outside last season's top 4, do you think will be stronger than us?

Well, we have to dispose of one of the Top 4 from last year to start. Tottenham will battle, Everton could, West Ham could. Arsenal may struggle but they have players that with a bit of work/luck can challenge. There is also one other side that has a good season, maybe Leeds.

I don't get why we are expecting to finish/challenge Top 4 automatically. We are not a Top 6 regular side so we need to keep challenging. Top 6/7 would be another good season in my eyes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Really? Tottenham are that desperate that they won't let Kane go because they have no designated strikers. Arsenal can't sign anyone because no one wants to go their? That's including battling us for players and supposedly losing out. West hams fortunes only changed when Lingard went their on loan and they haven't as yet managed to prize him away nor acquire the level of talent that we have had. Everton have made 2 signings under benitez and are after Abraham, but their first 11 has been fairly stagnant and ageing for a while now with the likes of Keane and Sigurdson and the age of their squad. 

Best of the rest seem miles away. Wolves have made a typical few signings given their affiliations with their owners and player connections but they've had outgoings as well.

Edited by UHDrive
Typo

Top 6 is doable again imo. I don't think we'll break top 4 as those sides are better than us but I can't see which two teams (to finish 5th and 6th) will be better than us.

Both North London sides don't really scare me. We're on par, if not better, than them.

Edited by Fox92

I think we have the 5th best squad in the league now - obviously a Tielemans or Maddison leaving could change that, but as is I don't see Spurs/Arsenal/Everton/Villa finishing above us.

I do however, think a top four of Manchester clubs, Chelsea & Liverpool may be a little further away from us this season than the last two years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Well, we have to dispose of one of the Top 4 from last year to start. Tottenham will battle, Everton could, West Ham could. Arsenal may struggle but they have players that with a bit of work/luck can challenge. There is also one other side that has a good season, maybe Leeds.

I don't get why we are expecting to finish/challenge Top 4 automatically. We are not a Top 6 regular side so we need to keep challenging. Top 6/7 would be another good season in my eyes.

Tottenham look a bit of a mess at the moment. There's a good chance Kane won't be at his best if he's forced to stay, as well. I'll be surprised if they're challenging. Everton always disappoint and they've also lost Ancelotti. West Ham might be good, but they could be without Lingard, who was so important to them. Arsenal are not the club they once were. There could be one or two who surprise everyone, but then one of last season's top 4 could disappoint, as well.

Maybe people are expecting us to challenge for top 4 because we've spent all but 2 matchdays out of the last 2 seasons outside the top 4? We've finished 5th two seasons running now. At what point do you say we are a top 6 regular? We've finished 5th two seasons running, and that's with serious injury problems and a weaker squad than we have now. I understand keeping expectations in check and not getting carried away, but I think you're being overly-pessimistic. I think we look quite a lot stronger on paper than last season, and I also think it's unlikely we'll have so many bad injuries again. I'd say challenging the top 4 is a realistic goal.

41 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

This stage last year people were resigned to us finishing mid-table because of the demands of Europe, and look what happened! I would like to see us to focus on EL and our league position, using the FA cup and League cup to help build up the experience of our youngsters. 

• Like 1

Success in football isn’t just about depth and quality of the squad, it’s how that quality is deployed on the pitch, which relies on quality of coaching, management and match day tactics. We have to be thankful for BR (and his backup team) who get it right on the day more often than not. That possibly gives us an advantage over squads who may match in quality, have greater depth, but aren’t prepared / coached / managed as well.

Edited by mydogzonfire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Why currently we have a lot now one who a first-teamer and have add Daka, Soumare, plus KDH and Sowah add to the squad 

Edited by coolhandfox

We have to finish top 4 or at least win Europa to get champions league.

It's been brilliant being the little guy outsmarting the big teams in the transfer market and poking our noses into their closed shop but at some point we need to seal the deal.

I want us to actually take the European competition we are in seriously. Not much hope of that with BR though. 

I hate this loop of teams aiming to get into Europe in the league every year but then not giving it the required attention. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I want us to actually take the European competition we are in seriously. Not much hope of that with BR though. 

I hate this loop of teams aiming to get into Europe in the league every year but then not giving it the required attention. 

Baffling opinion IMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Can we break the glass ceiling?

This is the acid question, because reaching top 5 twice in a row is an incredible achievement given the resources other teams around us have. Ndombele cost 60m, Pepe cost 72m. Our club record is 32m for Tielemans, who will probably leave next season!

Personally I'll quite happily take a 5th placed finish and a cup again, that is some going for a team of our size and stature. Of course I'd love to see us do even better than that, but 5th and a cup is the stuff of dreams, even during the MON days when we were a consistent Premier League team.

If you were to ask me now, I think we will finish 5th and win the Europa League, giving Brendan and us our first ever European trophy. And that would be pretty damned good!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

Tottenham look a bit of a mess at the moment. There's a good chance Kane won't be at his best if he's forced to stay, as well. I'll be surprised if they're challenging. Everton always disappoint and they've also lost Ancelotti. West Ham might be good, but they could be without Lingard, who was so important to them. Arsenal are not the club they once were. There could be one or two who surprise everyone, but then one of last season's top 4 could disappoint, as well.

Maybe people are expecting us to challenge for top 4 because we've spent all but 2 matchdays out of the last 2 seasons outside the top 4? We've finished 5th two seasons running now. At what point do you say we are a top 6 regular? We've finished 5th two seasons running, and that's with serious injury problems and a weaker squad than we have now. I understand keeping expectations in check and not getting carried away, but I think you're being overly-pessimistic. I think we look quite a lot stronger on paper than last season, and I also think it's unlikely we'll have so many bad injuries again. I'd say challenging the top 4 is a realistic goal.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Chelsea underachieve and Tuchel get the sack