Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester primed to avoid a hat-trick of disappointment - Football365

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

Tottenham look a bit of a mess at the moment. There's a good chance Kane won't be at his best if he's forced to stay, as well. I'll be surprised if they're challenging. Everton always disappoint and they've also lost Ancelotti. West Ham might be good, but they could be without Lingard, who was so important to them. Arsenal are not the club they once were. There could be one or two who surprise everyone, but then one of last season's top 4 could disappoint, as well.

Maybe people are expecting us to challenge for top 4 because we've spent all but 2 matchdays out of the last 2 seasons outside the top 4? We've finished 5th two seasons running now. At what point do you say we are a top 6 regular? We've finished 5th two seasons running, and that's with serious injury problems and a weaker squad than we have now. I understand keeping expectations in check and not getting carried away, but I think you're being overly-pessimistic. I think we look quite a lot stronger on paper than last season, and I also think it's unlikely we'll have so many bad injuries again. I'd say challenging the top 4 is a realistic goal.

I just struggle to see Leicester as a Top 6 banker, maybe hard to get used to after the 20 or so years I have followed them and having the "Top 6" drilled into me by pundits etc. over the past decade or so.

However, I am not going to expect too much, football can bring up any surprise at any point. And of course, everyone can have their opinion and expectation. I just feel if people expect us to be Top 4 or at least run another close race, there might be disappointment (possibly unjustified). Would I be disappointed if we din't make Top 6/7? Maybe. I guess it depends on progress in other competitions. The way last season went, I was disappointed with 5th at the time but overall we had a fantastic season.

I also tend to adjust expectations during a season once I see how things pan out (injuries, performances etc.).

Can we challenge for Top 4? Never say never. Do I expect us to? Not really. Do I hope we do? Of course. We have made good additions so far to last season's squad, some injured players coming back, hopefully we hold on to everyone else.

What will be key is how players get through pre-season and perform. If we get Castagne back to where he was, if Ricardo finds his old form, if Maddison pulls his finger out, if the new signings make an impact, if Vardy contributes heavily (or Iheanacho keeps playing well). Then I think we have a chance to compete. For us to compete, it just takes a lot of things to add up whereas a Liverpool/Man City/Man U/Chelsea don't need to do that much right to finish there (last two seasons proved that).

Fingers crossed we do well in lots of competitions. I would love us to go far in the EL, I feel we failed a little last year. Injuries really knocked us back last season so I hope we are luckier this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea will pull clear, I'm fairly certain.

The next rung down is us and Man Utd, we've seen over the last two season there's not all that much between the two. Any excellent signings they make are countenanced by having that drainpipe Solskjaer as a manager.

Beneath us last season were

6. West Ham

7. Spurs

8. Arsenal 

9. Leeds

10. Everton

11. Villa

12. Newcastle 

13. Wolves

Arsenal are the biggest threat there but I'm not overly concerned about them. Leeds, Wolves and Villa are arguably the most upwardly mobile given they can readily improve their squads and they have a decent foundations to work from. Everton and Spurs aren't going to pull up any trees, miserly football doesn't correlate with long term success. West Ham will regress to mid table. Brighton will be a threat to this bunch too you'd think.

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Well, we have to dispose of one of the Top 4 from last year to start. Tottenham will battle, Everton could, West Ham could. Arsenal may struggle but they have players that with a bit of work/luck can challenge. There is also one other side that has a good season, maybe Leeds.

I don't get why we are expecting to finish/challenge Top 4 automatically. We are not a Top 6 regular side so we need to keep challenging. Top 6/7 would be another good season in my eyes.

I think what was vitally important the last 2 seasons was a good start.  You get momentum going, are always up there which motivates the players and keep them interested.

I think the top 4 is a push, though we are well capable, and as an optimistic fan to turnaround the last 2 years slips that would be brilliant.

Man C are 1 of them, Liverpool won't fear being without VVD, now but he will be back if not for the start of the season, that's 2.  Man Utd are building, not to win the title but for top 4, that's 3, Chelsea will be better for a full season under Tuchel and the arrogance of being the Champions League winners.  There's the likely top 4, more settled, better quality in the team/squads.

Think Tottenham & Arsenal are generally lacking to that group and may well be behind us.  Be interesting if West Ham can do it again, squad is small and though Benitez is a decent manager, one season big improvement for Everton, doubtful.

So I see us a 5th with a chance of 4, if we really get momentum going and get less injuries than last year.  Would love to win the Europa League (automatice qualification for CL) and maybe close again in the FA Cup.  But all of us can be so positive about what is happening at the club and where its going, amazing times.

Lets get it to 40K plus capacity soon, would be brill!!!  See you all at Wembley on the 7th Aug for the 1st trophy!!!!

C'mon Lestah!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea will pull clear, I'm fairly certain.

The next rung down is us and Man Utd, we've seen over the last two season there's not all that much between the two. Any excellent signings they make are countenanced by having that drainpipe Solskjaer as a manager.

Beneath us last season were

6. West Ham

7. Spurs

8. Arsenal 

9. Leeds

10. Everton

11. Villa

12. Newcastle 

13. Wolves

Arsenal are the biggest threat there but I'm not overly concerned about them. Leeds, Wolves and Villa are arguably the most upwardly mobile given they can readily improve their squads and they have a decent foundations to work from. Everton and Spurs aren't going to pull up any trees, miserly football doesn't correlate with long term success. West Ham will regress to mid table. Brighton will be a threat to this bunch too you'd think.

I would be a bit worried about Arsenal.  3rd on form in the 2nd half of last season and no European football to worry about for this one, I'd expect them to be back as a realistic top 6 contender this year.

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

I would be a bit worried about Arsenal.  3rd on form in the 2nd half of last season and no European football to worry about for this one, I'd expect them to be back as a realistic top 6 contender this year.

Yeah I agree but we've done enough to distance ourselves - most of players have had a decent rest, we've made some key additions and it's very unlikely we'd have the same injury issues again. We have a demonstrably better manager and first XI.

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

You've based an entire point of view on the evidence of last season alone? 

No I haven't 

Go and have a look at BR's record in European football, including his time at Liverpool and come back to me. 

One of the Liverpool fans main issues with BR was his attitude to European football. They had some terrible results against very mediocre teams with him in charge. 

I'd be happy with best of the rest (5th) again to be honest, I wouldn't consider that a hattrick of disappointment. It's only disappointing if we're top four all season again and drop it on the last day and I don't think we'll do that either. 

I just can't imagine Chelsea or Liverpool will start as poorly again this year and Man City are immense. 

Only way in I see is if United are awful. 

• Like 4

Understand there are column inches to fill, but i'm still staying grounded. Europe is the goal again, plus maybe making less of a butchers of the Europa League this time around - that being a realistic competition for us to win and secure a (Pot 1) UCL place in the process.

I think our growth lies in continuing to keep existing players happy while showing we're capable of at least challenging for a place in the UCL. With the exception of Tielemans, there aren't any realistic threats of our squad losing key players this year, because we won something and have enough fixtures to keep our squad players occupied and sharp.

Runs at either domestic cup are a bonus, and again the main incentive beyond glory is giving minutes to as much of our squad as possible as we face another 60+ game season.

Yes, I was pretty bummed to see us miss UCL again on the final day, but I got over it pretty quickly by watching Youri's winner at Wembley back a few times. I mostly just let out a loud "HA!" when someone tells me we - Leicester City - are under-acheiving by winning silverware and finishing 5th, considering that I started my current stint as a fan watching us lose away at Blackpool in driving sleet on our way to relegation to League One. lol

Edited by OntarioFox

16 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

No I haven't 

Go and have a look at BR's record in European football, including his time at Liverpool and come back to me. 

One of the Liverpool fans main issues with BR was his attitude to European football. They had some terrible results against very mediocre teams with him in charge. 

Well, I find it baffling that the manager who managed copious injuries, has managed two 5th place finishes and a seminal FA Cup win isn't good enough for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Yeah I agree but we've done enough to distance ourselves - most of players have had a decent rest, we've made some key additions and it's very unlikely we'd have the same injury issues again. We have a demonstrably better manager and first XI.

Agree with all that but given all the variables, if the question is which teams it wouldn't be hugely surprising to see finish above us then you have to include them in the answer.

Or to put it this way:

Teams I'd expect to finish above us: Man City.

Teams I'd expect us to be tussling with if everyone stays fit: Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea

Teams I'd expect us to be tussling with if we have the usual amount of injuries to contend with: Arsenal, maybe West Ham (if they get the Lingard role sorted)

Teams I'd expect us to be tussling with if we have above average injuries:  West Ham, maybe Villa/Spurs.  And then there's always going to be a surprise contender from among the Everton/Wolves/Leeds/Brighton types.

Edited by Carl the Llama

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Well, I find it baffling that the manager who managed copious injuries, has managed two 5th place finishes and a seminal FA Cup win isn't good enough for you. 

I find it baffling that you can't understand what I am saying. 

I also find it baffling that I have taken the time to look into his entire record in Europe and formed an opinion based on the facts and you can't understand it. 

11 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I find it baffling that you can't understand what I am saying. 

I also find it baffling that I have taken the time to look into his entire record in Europe and formed an opinion based on the facts and you can't understand it. 

Oh I understand it well enough. Is BR good enough for you or not? If not, who better?

I think with the new signings and better luck with injuries, we'll be top 6 at least. 

Although St Jamie will be another year older, with Daka coming in, he'll not be burdened with having to play as many full games. 

Harvey was badly missed as was JJ and Ricky.

Madders has got it in him if he focuses on his game and can get over his hip problems. 

Those 4 fit and we'd have got top 4 last season. 

Bollox to Spurs and the Arse, Villa will be the team to watch next season imo

3 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I would be very surprised if we are anywhere near challenging Top 4 again. We will have a battle for Top 6/7.

If I had a choice, I would take a mid table finish and a run to the EL final.

Not sure if serious 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I would be very surprised if we are anywhere near challenging Top 4 again. We will have a battle for Top 6/7.

If I had a choice, I would take a mid table finish and a run to the EL final.

I'd be happy with a top 19 finish and the quarters of the League Cup.

I'm easily pleased.

4 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-leicester-soumare-daka-rodgers-pressure-planning-promise

Leicester primed to avoid a hat-trick of disappointment 

Date published: Thursday 15th July 2021 11:00 - Matthew Stead

Boubakary Soumare and Angel Di Maria
After using Euro 2020 as the perfect distraction for transfer business, Leicester are primed to make that final step instead of stumbling.

Leicester chose great days to bury brilliant news. The morning after England was coming to terms with beating Germany in a knockout game, Patson Daka had arrived at his “perfect place”. By the time Boubakary Soumare joined him there little over 48 hours later, it was lost in the ether of a nervy quarter-final between Switzerland and Spain, followed with a classic Italy victory over Belgium.

Harry Kane wanted his future clarified before Euro 2020. Most clubs accepted they would have to wait until after the tournament was finished to conduct their transfer business. Leicester used the distraction to operate in plain sight: two moves worth a combined £40m barely registered on the preoccupied radar.

With European champions crowned, there is no longer any reason not to acknowledge their continued excellence. While many of their contemporaries scramble to complete panicked homework, Leicester always understand the assignment.

Daka and Soumare fit the profile. Both are 22, both are reigning league champions with their former clubs and both address at least one existing issue within the squad. Daka is the eventual Jamie Vardy replacement, an apprentice given time to acclimatise and learn from the master himself. Soumare offers yet more midfield flexibility and variation to better cope with increased domestic and European demands.

Neither, perhaps crucially, will be involved at the Africa Cup of Nations in the winter. Wilfred Ndidi, Kelechi Iheanacho, Nampalys Mendy and Daniel Amartey are likely to be called upon but Zambia failed to qualify despite Daka finishing as joint top scorer in qualification alongside Victor Osimhen, while Soumare harbours realistic hopes of parlaying his 48 France youth caps into senior honours.

Brendan Rodgers was once synonymous with a derided transfer committee but his team at Leicester is among the continent’s best. Lee Congerton struggled at Celtic yet heads a recruitment setup in the Midlands that will be the envy of most clubs. Callum Smithson, David Mills and Philippe Pelluault have excelled in the various scouting departments. Jon Rudkin pulls it all together as Director of Football. Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha is the ideal modern chairman: sensible, non-interfering, happy to delegate and trusting of the right people, willing to invest at opportune moments, connected to the players and fans and aware of the importance of the wider community.

Their vision is clear and precedes almost all of those composite parts. Since August 2017, 18 of Leicester’s 19 first-team signings were aged between 19 and 28, the majority joining on four or five-year contracts; 16 of 19 were aged between 19 and 25, with Jonny Evans (30), Adrien Silva (28) and Rachid Ghezzal (26) the exceptions to an established rule of identifying and refining potential instead of bringing in ready-made and finished products.

It is striking just how efficient the planning is. No legitimately key player is ever left with less than 12 months on their deal. The three whose contracts expire in 2022 are Marc Albrighton, who is expected to stay despite predictable interest from Burnley, the solid but expendable Amartey and Besiktas-bound Ghezzal.

Youri Tielemans, Caglar Soyuncu, Ricardo Pereira, Ayoze Perez, Kasper Schmeichel, Hamza Choudhury, Vardy, Evans and Mendy all have deals that run until 2023 but Leicester will not let any of their futures hang over the club like a dark cloud: terms will be renewed or they will be sold while they still hold value.

Therein lies one of the more intriguing plot points surrounding this summer at the King Power Stadium. In each of the last six pre-seasons, Leicester have lost an integral part of their squad. It started with Esteban Cambiasso in 2015 and runs through N’Golo Kante, Danny Drinkwater, Riyad Mahrez, Harry Maguire to Ben Chilwell in 2020. Every time the Foxes replaced, improved, upgraded. Rodgers constantly repaired his aircraft despite undue turbulence.

Speculation surrounds Tielemans and a move to Liverpool but the suggestion is that he will stay and continue to test the strength of a glass ceiling Leicester have already cracked over the past two years.

Finishing fifth in consecutive seasons, winning the FA Cup and almost constantly occupying a Champions League qualification place cannot be painted as anything other than exceptional progress, but at some point that dynamic will shift. Leading the chasing pack while the frontrunners drop in and out of the race will no longer be enough. As Leicester finally shed their tag as a stepping stone club, they themselves must make that final step into a closed shop without invitation.

They have already continued their phenomenal work in the shadows this summer. All eyes will be on them when the Premier League returns.

It's a good article and we already know how great our recruitment team is at Leicester, but it doesn't really put context on what we're up against when attempting to "avoid a hate trick of disappointment". We bought two players (I'm hyped for) at 40mil, Manchester United bought Sancho for 73mil. It's a glass ceiling made of a LOT of money. I'd rather these kinds of articles at least call it out otherwise it feels a tad patronizing.  

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

No I haven't 

Maybe because his priority and club aim was to win the League above all else.

With us I'm sure the target was to finish as high as possible and win the FA Cup.

He's never really been in a situation where Europe was one of his chief aims and at Celtic he never had the players that could achieve that.

• Thanks 1