Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Godfrey Chikumbi

PATSON DAKA’S HUMBLE BEGINNINGS MAKE HIM WORK HARD

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Jokes aside, on my first visit to Southern Africa when I was 13 you'd see little football pitches everywhere. Dirt pitches and goals made out of sticks. Kids would be playing with homemade footballs made out of rolled up plastic bags. But you'd see so many games going on with so much enthusiasm for just playing the game. In 1998 I wrote to Martin O'Neill to ask if the club would consider a scheme of sending footballs out to places like Botswana to help develop talent. I got a respectful response saying they basically couldn't afford it, which was true (I tried to find the letter but it's gone missing). So signing Patson feels a bit like a vindication for me. I truly hope us signing him helps to develop the game in Zambia even more and inspires kids from humble beginnings to achieve greatness.

Yes I fully agree with you. More needs to be done. We have so much to talk about in terms talent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Godfrey Chikumbi said:

Yes I fully agree with you. More needs to be done. We have so much to talk about in terms talent.

I enjoyed learning about KK (condolences) having a fondness for football and how involved he was for it. So glad that Patson and Enock (and Fashion Sakala) have reached this level which will no doubt raise the profile of Zambian football and the country itself. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Godfrey Chikumbi said:

Shared here is Leicester City striker Patson Papa Daka’s picture while attending trials at one of the local clubs in his native Zambia’s Copperbelt Province.

Don’t despise humble beginnings. He only had a dream. Today he is at one of the most powerful clubs in the world, the Foxes

B8F2D655-8A63-4A67-AD17-CA2FB393CC5B.jpeg

You're saying all the right things my friend 😁.

In all honesty although we are a team that spends so much more nowadays, our rise to this high level was built on humble hard working players.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I enjoyed learning about KK (condolences) having a fondness for football and how involved he was for it. So glad that Patson and Enock (and Fashion Sakala) have reached this level which will no doubt raise the profile of Zambian football and the country itself. 

Thanks for your kind words. KK was passionate about football 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

I wasn’t going to respond to this post, but your original idea is still a great one. What if, for every goal a player scored next season, the club sent a ball to a youth football set-up of that player’s choosing? Might cost a hundred balls. But what a fabulous thing to do and wonderful PR, too? Goals for kids 😊😊

.. get this off to Rudders...need to get it done!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

We love humble beginnings here... Wes Morgan grew up on a council estate surrounded by gangs, drugs and crime - some of his school friends are still in prison. Jamie Vardy was working in a factory while playing non-league and playing with an offenders tag on his leg. Marc Albrighton is from Birmingham. 

Maddison is from Coventry as well, or is that Chaventry…

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MPH said:

why don’t we do this as a foxestalk project?

for every goal Patson Daka scores this season, we will send a ball  to a local club in Zambia

Or maybe every goal the club scores in the league, we will send a ball to  somewhere in Zambia.

id deffo donate to that.

Ace idea. Wonder if there is any way of getting a ball supplier on board to meet the cost 50/50 and double the amount we could spend? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Godfrey Chikumbi said:

Red Bull certainly know what they are doing in Africa.  If Leicester helped promote junior football in Zambia, the next Patson Daka might be free.  Plus we would gain a lot of new Fans I suspect!   No downsides.

Edited by mozartfox

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

I'd be happy to help organise and ensure items get to the right places.

I mentioned before, I'm looking at ways to get some signed Daka shirts to auction for charities here in Zambia.

you were the first person I thought of when mentioning it… I almost tagged you in the post actually :D

• Like 1

I mentioned before, I'm looking at ways to get some signed Daka shirts to auction for charities here in Zambia.

:appl:Top Man.  I am happy to donate.

• Like 3

A brilliant idea. I would go even farther, and suggest that every player in the squad nominates their own charity in their home town/country and we donate a ball, or a training kit or some such for each goal/assist/clean sheet or whatever. Not only would this be giving something back to grass roots football in deprived areas but is just the sort of thing that would raise our profile to a wider audience and in turn increase our fanbase. remember the more clicks we can generate for the media, the more we get talked about and therefore our brand grows. This is where we need to go if we ever want to truly replace any of the so called big six.

Even if we sent out some of our used training balls i am sure they would be gratefully received. At the end of the day, this would not actually cost us much in the grand scheme of things, would be tax deductible as a charitable donation and the cost would easily be outweighed by the good PR it would generate.

• Like 2

with you actually being IN Zambia I’m guessing it would make sense for them to be purchased by a supplier that’s IN Zambia than try and ship them over.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, urban fox said:

A brilliant idea. I would go even farther, and suggest that every player in the squad nominates their own charity in their home town/country and we donate a ball, or a training kit or some such for each goal/assist/clean sheet or whatever. Not only would this be giving something back to grass roots football in deprived areas but is just the sort of thing that would raise our profile to a wider audience and in turn increase our fanbase. remember the more clicks we can generate for the media, the more we get talked about and therefore our brand grows. This is where we need to go if we ever want to truly replace any of the so called big six.

Even if we sent out some of our used training balls i am sure they would be gratefully received. At the end of the day, this would not actually cost us much in the grand scheme of things, would be tax deductible as a charitable donation and the cost would easily be outweighed by the good PR it would generate.

This needs to be done 👌 

• Like 1