Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Godfrey Chikumbi

PATSON DAKA’S HUMBLE BEGINNINGS MAKE HIM WORK HARD

2 hours ago, MPH said:

why don’t we do this as a foxestalk project?

for every goal Patson Daka scores this season, we will send a ball  to a local club in Zambia

Or maybe every goal the club scores in the league, we will send a ball to  somewhere in Zambia.

id deffo donate to that.

@davieG  @Mark

If there’s a PayPal account or something similar set up for it I’d love to contribute. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

If we made it formal and did a JustGiving the government would have to pay GiftAid

it might add some legitimacy Too the campaign and make it easy to get donations on a wider scale..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPH said:

with you actually being IN Zambia I’m guessing it would make sense for them to be purchased by a supplier that’s IN Zambia than try and ship them over.

Definitely. There are lots of hurdles re. importing etc. So much better to purchase locally. Prices will be higher, but that's how a lot of things are here.

My son plays for a club, Super Sports United, and I have a friend on the Olympic organising committee, I'll try to rope those in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

I'd be happy to help organise and ensure items get to the right places.

I mentioned before, I'm looking at ways to get some signed Daka shirts to auction for charities here in Zambia.

would you happen to have a rough estimate as to the cost of a football in Zambia?

4 hours ago, MPH said:

would you happen to have a rough estimate as to the cost of a football in Zambia?

It all depends on quality obviously. 

I have a sports store I buy from (Spark Sports, they have training gear etc.) and I can get some quotes together, they have decent balls for about ZMW 500 (GBP16). What I'll need to do is talk to some of the Zambian guys here about which balls are the best and most durable for the type of surface being used and get those costed out.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

It all depends on quality obviously. 

I have a sports store I buy from (Spark Sports, they have training gear etc.) and I can get some quotes together, they have decent balls for about ZMW 500 (GBP16). What I'll need to do is talk to some of the Zambian guys here about which balls are the best and most durable for the type of surface being used and get those costed out.

If you all managed to get something sorted, I'd be more than happy to cover the cost of a ball.

If anyone has a contact at the club, it may be worth seeing if this could be a beneficiary of the Vichai Foundation? At least get the club to stick some training gear together.

Whilst Daka has yet to prove himself (Obviously hasn't had the opportunity yet and I really hope he does), other African players who do so much for where they're from is so inspiring.

Drogba and Mane being two prime examples, whatever you think of them on the pitch.

I'll never forgive Mane for that dive in the last minute, especially as I was there, but always loved Drogba.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

If you all managed to get something sorted, I'd be more than happy to cover the cost of a ball.

If anyone has a contact at the club, it may be worth seeing if this could be a beneficiary of the Vichai Foundation? At least get the club to stick some training gear together.

Whilst Daka has yet to prove himself (Obviously hasn't had the opportunity yet and I really hope he does), other African players who do so much for where they're from is so inspiring.

Drogba and Mane being two prime examples, whatever you think of them on the pitch.

I'll never forgive Mane for that dive in the last minute, especially as I was there, but always loved Drogba.

I'm planning on writing to the club soon - Need to talk to Mark and Mods about FT and how much they'd like it mentioned. 

It would be good if we have any connections at the club. If people do, please DM me. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TrentFox said:

I wasn’t going to respond to this post, but your original idea is still a great one. What if, for every goal a player scored next season, the club sent a ball to a youth football set-up of that player’s choosing? Might cost a hundred balls. But what a fabulous thing to do and wonderful PR, too? Goals for kids 😊😊

Excellent idea. 

Please though, don't make them  Sondico! 

Edited by Collymore
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Excellent idea. 

Please though, don't make them  Sondico! 

It’s Urban’s idea! 👍. And they wouldn’t need top of the range balls. Just ones that were extremely durable. 😊

Just bumping this to show support, I'd be more than delighted to put in.

I know it would involve quite a lot of effort and time to make this come together. Just exploring the possibility does everyone posting great credit, I take my hat off to you. :appl:

I'm having a bit of a nightmare time at the moment (supporting a terminal friend), and have little spare energy, but best of luck with the idea. Connecting with our players in this way is quite a special idea, worthy of the best club in England.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TrentFox said:

It’s Urban’s idea! 👍. And they wouldn’t need top of the range balls. Just ones that were extremely durable. 😊

It was my idea 23 years ago! And it was mainly for Botswana at the time, I'm sure things have moved on - especially since Zambia won AFCON in 2012; we have just signed a Zambian who's worked his way up from youth level, and the Women's team (The Copper Queens) are at the Olympics! Now it's more about the gesture of mutual respect from LCFC fans I suppose.

I'd love to send over some youth kits with Daka's name on the back - mainly because I've already seen so much on social media of adults with their LCFC shirts lol but also to inspire them to emulate him. Kids shirts on the website are £45 - could we raise £500 for a full XI? Or could we convince the club to donate some?

If we could get hold of some signed shirts for @Merging Cultures's auction that would be amazing, though I wonder what would get the highest bids - a shirt signed by the whole squad or one signed just by Patson?! 

Edited by urban.spaceman
  • Like 1

....this is something that needs to get done!!!

I would donate to the cause gladly. We do need to set this up and I would suggest that a team is setup to run this project and I would suggest with people on here with contacts and knowhow could put their name forward to be on the committee. We just need some names.

12 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Just bumping this to show support, I'd be more than delighted to put in.

I know it would involve quite a lot of effort and time to make this come together. Just exploring the possibility does everyone posting great credit, I take my hat off to you. :appl:

I'm having a bit of a nightmare time at the moment (supporting a terminal friend), and have little spare energy, but best of luck with the idea. Connecting with our players in this way is quite a special idea, worthy of the best club in England.

Difficult time mate, I know from experience. Stay strong, you are making a difference. Look after yourself as well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Funnily enough it is all over now, happened sunday evening. Bless him, he wanted to go, and it's a relief it is over.

Assisted dying would have been the civilised thing, but the poor lad had to sit there, disabled and distressed, just waiting for the end. I take great comfort from the FA Cup victory and the Euros we shared, and we had some good laughs up until the last few days, but 3 months from first symptoms to death is brutally short. He'd just semi-retired from a job he hated, 53 years old.

Bit drunk now so oversharing a bit.:rolleyes: I'll be ok, to be honest most of the grieving has already been done over the last 6 weeks. Me and my other half did everything we could to support him and his family, so we kind of shared the journey, and indeed we found him last night. We literally could not have done more in the circumstances prevailing, and I will always be proud of that.

I should go to bed... thanks for listening, even if it is a bit random. :cry:

The longer you live, the more life seems to be so cruel sometimes. It's only at times like that you get to realise who your true friends are and usually you can count them on one hand. Some people in fairness mean well but aren't equipped to cope. The support you gave will have meant the world to him. His age and semi retirement is an example of life's cruelty. Albeit with due regard to others, we owe to ourselves to seize the moment and do things now and lot keep putting them off. Carry on but recognise that you've done the right and proper thing, be proud of it. Take care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

The longer you live, the more life seems to be so cruel sometimes. It's only at times like that you get to realise who your true friends are and usually you can count them on one hand. Some people in fairness mean well but aren't equipped to cope. The support you gave will have meant the world to him. His age and semi retirement is an example of life's cruelty. Albeit with due regard to others, we owe to ourselves to seize the moment and do things now and lot keep putting them off. Carry on but recognise that you've done the right and proper thing, be proud of it. Take care.

Thank you for your kind and understanding words.

I guess a lot of people find out just what life means through events like this, it is the first time for me. I feel sadder, but wiser and probably stronger.

• Like 2

If someone could get this thread back on track I would be happy enough, the discussion around a bit of outreach to the football lovers of Zambia, and potentially elsewhere is commendable.

And I always thought you were all just a bunch of nobs. :D Perhaps I was a bit hasty on that...

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

If someone could get this thread back on track I would be happy enough, the discussion around a bit of outreach to the football lovers of Zambia, and potentially elsewhere is commendable.

We may need a feel-good thread, given the news out of Everton that is likely to take over the Premier League thread.  How do we turn this good idea into action? 

- Sounds like @Merging Culturesis working on identifying the most durable footballs and their cost.  Mate, can you report back on that and how you could get them distributed?  You may be indispensable to making this happen.

- We'd need consensus on a funding target and gofundme type site to use?  Then someone to set it up and administer it?  (I volunteer ... though I bet there are folks on here with relevant experience who would do a better job ... if so, why not speak up)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Funnily enough it is all over now, happened sunday evening. Bless him, he wanted to go, and it's a relief it is over.

Assisted dying would have been the civilised thing, but the poor lad had to sit there, disabled and distressed, just waiting for the end. I take great comfort from the FA Cup victory and the Euros we shared, and we had some good laughs up until the last few days, but 3 months from first symptoms to death is brutally short. He'd just semi-retired from a job he hated, 53 years old.

Bit drunk now so oversharing a bit.:rolleyes: I'll be ok, to be honest most of the grieving has already been done over the last 6 weeks. Me and my other half did everything we could to support him and his family, so we kind of shared the journey, and indeed we found him last night. We literally could not have done more in the circumstances prevailing, and I will always be proud of that.

I should go to bed... thanks for listening, even if it is a bit random. :cry:

Thanks for sharing that. Well done and best wishes for your getting over such a painful period.

You mention "assisted dying", the only civilised way in suchcircumstances.  You probably know about it, but for those interested the action group "dignity in dying" is in a fight to get this legalised and need all the support they can get.

On 17/07/2021 at 14:31, TrentFox said:

I wasn’t going to respond to this post, but your original idea is still a great one. What if, for every goal a player scored next season, the club sent a ball to a youth football set-up of that player’s choosing? Might cost a hundred balls. But what a fabulous thing to do and wonderful PR, too? Goals for kids 😊😊

I've not posted here in a while (apologies) I just lurk the forum now days. But I just wanted to send my support for this cause and I'd be happy to contribute as well. 

• Like 1