Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wasyls Pec Deck

How would you vote in a general election - if held tomorrow

How would you vote if there was a general election tomorrow?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. How would you vote in a general election held tomorrow?

With the mismanagement and incompetencies over Brexit and continued bungling of Covid (in my opinion!), I’m genuinely interested to hear how people would vote if there was a general election tomorrow.

I’ve probably not listed all options - this is not meant to a be precise exercise. I’m no pollster, just interested to see what we all think about the state of politics at this precise moment.’

I've never voted tactically before in my life but next election I'm voting whoever is most likely to beat the Conservatives in my constituency (live in Portsmouth South which was traditionally a LibDem safe seat before 2010 but has gone both Labour Conservative and LibDem since).

Always thought tactical voting was a mistake and you should vote on who you most believe in as their surge in votes will see policy change anyway, but I've never been so sick to the back teeth of a government as this one following Brexit and Covid.

Honestly I know the only way to beat them is likely a Labour-LibDem-SNP-Green coalition which would almost certainly mean a 2nd Scottish independence referendum would have to be bargained. But I really don't care at this point. I don't like nationalism (but I'd argue Brexit has become a worse form of nationalism than the SNP - even though I understand there are many valid reasons to vote out the EU, it seems to have been hijacked by nationalist and anti-immigrant sentiment) and the SNP but if we have to get an independent Scotland to vote out this government, then I've reached the point where I don't care anymore and even that is a compromise I'm willing to vote for.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I've never voted tactically before in my life but next election I'm voting whoever is most likely to beat the Conservatives in my constituency (live in Portsmouth South which was traditionally a LibDem safe seat before 2010 but has gone both Labour Conservative and LibDem since).

Always thought tactical voting was a mistake and you should vote on who you most believe in as their surge in votes will see policy change anyway, but I've never been so sick to the back teeth of a government as this one following Brexit and Covid.

Honestly I know the only way to beat them is likely a Labour-LibDem-SNP-Green coalition which would almost certainly mean a 2nd Scottish independence referendum would have to be bargained. But I really don't care at this point. I don't like nationalism (but I'd argue Brexit has become a worse form of nationalism than the SNP - even though I understand there are many valid reasons to vote out the EU, it seems to have been hijacked by nationalist and anti-immigrant sentiment) and the SNP but if we have to get an independent Scotland to kick out this government, then I've reached the point where I don't care anymore and even that is a compromise I'm willing to vote for.

All about tactical voting if we want to boot these lot out. In fact, I think Lab-Lib-Greens etc should actively encourage tactical voting. A progressive alliance is our only hope! Left of centre is much more splintered than the right - which is basically the Tories.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

All about tactical voting if we want to boot these lot out. In fact, I think Lab-Lib-Greens etc should actively encourage tactical voting. A progressive alliance is our only hope! Left of centre is much more splintered than the right - which is basically the Tories.

If they couldn't get one going for the last election, they never will. In my constituency, if LDs and the Greens had stood down and given their votes to Labour then they would have won the seat.

Just hope people can hold their noses next time, now they've seen how a Johnson Government has actually panned out.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

If they couldn't get one going for the last election, they never will. In my constituency, if LDs and the Greens had stood down and given their votes to Labour then they would have won the seat.

Just hope people can hold their noses next time, now they've seen how a Johnson Government has actually panned out.

I disagree with this. Loads of people, particularly in the north, voted anti-Corbyn rather than anti-Tories. I reckon a centre-left alliance could be a lot more successful in the future on the basis that both Lib Dems and Labour look actually centre-left right now. Which would leave further-left Green voters with a decision to make.

Run a Post Office and currently taking this Government to Court to comply with the laws of the land. Having witnessed this governments involvement with the biggest miss carriage of justice in modern history and just how many hundreds of millions they are happy to write off to cover their incompetence and corruption leaves me very few options but not or Lib Dem

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I disagree with this. Loads of people, particularly in the north, voted anti-Corbyn rather than anti-Tories. I reckon a centre-left alliance could be a lot more successful in the future on the basis that both Lib Dems and Labour look actually centre-left right now. Which would leave further-left Green voters with a decision to make.

Maybe you're right, but it was amusing to see so many who allegedly considered Brexit so important yet weren't able to hold their nose enough to back the party offering a viable route out of it in 2019. Hopefully people left of centre have learned their lesson now.

Tories get nowhere in my constituency so I will vote greens and we voted in a green councillor in the local council elections. 

If I was in anything like a Tory marginal I would vote tactically against the Tory's and their bumbling figurehead of incompetence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Maybe you're right, but it was amusing to see so many who allegedly considered Brexit so important yet weren't able to hold their nose enough to back the party offering a viable route out of it in 2019. Hopefully people left of centre have learned their lesson now.

I think we’re talking about people who, when push came to shove, decided stopping Corbyn was more important than stopping or even resolving Brexit. And I reckon they’d stand by that now. If that’s what you mean by people “learning their lesson” then I believe you’ll be disappointed. But if Labour remains more moderate (or arguably continues to become more moderate) under Starmer then I think that dynamic changes.

The Starmer interview with voters from Blackpool the other day was demonstrative of just how toxic Corbyn’s politics was and remains to a significant proportion of voters. And I don’t just say that because I find it toxic myself - it bears out when people are surveyed.

I fully intend on electioneering next time out. 11 years of this shite but the decisions they’ve made over the last two years repeatedly. Never forgot that when you come to a third term, you’ve lost your decent ministers and you are into your latter choices. 

We had a vaccine programme, we had a chance to push that through before Delta arrived. We didn’t. Having spent nearly two hours at vaccination centre yesterday, I’m to be convinced that it’s not going to end in disaster there over the next four weeks 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

At the moment I'd go Lib Dem just ahead of Labour and never ever Tory.

But sadly we all know the Tories would win any GE easily if it was held tomorrow as this forum isnt representative of the all voters and the country as a whole.

None.

I don't trust any of them, they're all liars, all charlatans, tit for tat.

I started out thinking the Conservatives were handling the pandemic fairly enough along with other policies I agree with aside from the pandemic, no-one had been through this before, it was hard to say what was right or wrong or what should be done, as we've gone on it's quite clear they made mistakes of which are only getting more, bigger and quite frankly laughable and embarrasing.

Meanwhile you have Labour disagreeing with things purely because the Conservatives have come up with it. I swear Labour were demanding this and that, Conservatives did it then Labour disagreed and slagged them off for doing.

Going back to the policies I agree with for Conservatives - they rarely come to fruition and very rarely do that in politics, it all lies, they're all the same and not alot changes no matter who is in charge.

We as football fans get took the piss out of for our partisan support, our 'pack' mentality of 'us and them', Politics is worse, It's quite pathetic really.

The fact supporters of certain parties can't see and admit the mistakes of individual parties is quite pathetic, laughable, the same can be said for slagging off another parties just because they're not the party you support even though the proposals might be good and you know you'd agree with them if the party you supported came up with them.

Infact I can't even get my head around the idea of 'supporting' a party - Surely you pick based on policies but when it comes to politics people are so staunch, so blinding and just like to call the opposition liars.

I've still never got an answer to how and why politics and politicians aren't regulated and made accountable, it's beyond me.