Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

FIFA Considering rule change.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2021/07/18/60f4094622601d3d168b45c1.html

Various tests are being carried out at a youth tournament named the Future of Football Cup. PSV,AZ Alkmaar, RB Leipzig and Club Brugge are taking part in the competition, which has become an experiment for FIFA to test five new rules that could later be implemented in professional football.

Here, we take a look at what the new rules are and at how they're being trialled at this event.

Two 30-minute halves

The first change would see halves reduced to 30 minutes each, with a stopwatch used whenever there is any interruption in the match. 

Unlimited changes

As a result of the pandemic, the number of substitutions has increased from three to five. However, the possibility of unlimited changes is now being studied during the tournament. 

Yellow card sin bins

Yellow cards would carry a greater punishment than they do at present. 

Players who receive one would have to leave the field for five minutes, meaning the team would be momentarily outnumbered.

Kick-ins instead of throw-ins

Throw-ins would be able to be taken with the foot, instead of the ball having to be thrown back in after going out over the sideline.

Dribbling from corners

Finally, players would be able to take the aforementioned kick-ins and corners without having to combine with another teammate first. Instead, they would be able to drive the ball into play themselves.

The only one I agree with is the 30min halves. 

The completely arbitrary nature of ‘injury/added’ time really pees me off (especially when winning or losing). 

The only way it could work though is if the refs time was put up on the screen and the second time was up the whistle was blown (well when the ball was out of play like rugby).

Edited by Phube
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Stopping the clock obliterates time wasting, so I'm in with that, you'd actually get more football played compared to now. Dribble ins from corners are fairly innocuous too.

Everything else can get in the bin. Unlimited subs encourages big clubs to fill their teams out like American football, you would end up with "oaff-ence" & "dee-fence" sat by the "touchline" all waiting to come off and back on line American Football ... and of course the SuperLeague™ giants would benefit the most.

Sin-bins aren't actually too bad but you can't have them replace yellow cards, it would have to be for certain offences and even then I can't pinpoint the problem it would address - maybe there is one, I don't know right now.

Kick-in's, no. Throws happen far too often compared to free-kicks and corners, you can't give that much opportunity away every time the ball goes out in your half.

Edited by Jaspa
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Sin bin for diving, professional fouls and abusing the referees, I wouldn’t be against.

The rest can get in the bin!

Always wanted to see sin binning for tactical/cynical fouls. For example, Chiellini in the final or Winks against us last game of season when we had a 3 on 2. How I see it is that we have a yellow card, a yellow card plus a sin bin and then the standard red card. Yellow card plus sin bin will be for those fouls that are not quite a red card but a yellow really doesn't make much difference on its own.

Maybe a yellow plus sin bin can also replace some harsh red cards. There is definitely something about this that can work, so many sports already have it.

Two 30-minute halves - I like the idea as to what it is stopping, but maybe the ref can have a stopwatch and when the clock goes to 45 minutes, they can check how much actual time the ball was in play and then add the time on as necessary (e.g. if only 26 mins, add 4 mins on). That way we get more consistency with time added on. Forget two 30 min halves.

Unlimited changes - No

Yellow card sin bins - mentioned above

Kick-ins instead of throw-ins - Not for me

Dribbling from corners - Unsure on this one, has potential but at this point I would rather not

• Like 1

Unlimited subs will mean more top talent going to the elite clubs as they know they will get game time and win trophies… that will be the death of football

30 mins per half? I personally like the idea but would prefer 40 mins… we can’t expect to pay the same amount of money for 66% of a product

I do like the sin bin rule… none of this “taking one for the team”… the others can do one as it would be like watching grass roots  

1 minute ago, Lincolnfox said:

Unlimited subs will mean more top talent going to the elite clubs as they know they will get game time and win trophies… that will be the death of football

30 mins per half? I personally like the idea but would prefer 40 mins… we can’t expect to pay the same amount of money for 66% of a product

I do like the sin bin rule… none of this “taking one for the team”… the others can do one as it would be like watching grass roots  

30 mins per half of football in play. Out of 90 minute games currently, the ball is usually only in play for 55-60 mins. So we would not lose anything price value wise in terms of action seen. It just means constant time stopping.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

30 mins per half of football in play. Out of 90 minute games currently, the ball is usually only in play for 55-60 mins. So we would not lose anything price value wise in terms of action seen. It just means constant time stopping.

I understand your debate but it doesn’t make it right. Just goes to show how irrelevant 1 min of added time actually is

9 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Is the clock on when a player is trying to throw the ball in or does it only start when the ball enters play?  Would think that makes a quite a difference.

five min sin bins for yellows - just encourages the side with a man less to low block for five mins which is v frustrating to watch. I can’t really see it stopping anyone from committing a yellow card offence.  It would make a difference for the five mins where you’re down to ten as you couldn’t afford to drop to nine. So that low block becomes even more negative because you just aren’t going to be tempted out of shape where you run any risks. 

14 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Don't mind stopping the clock but it wouldn't in practice change anything. It's not difficult to add up and include the necessary stoppage time and anyway we all know that "time wasting" is as much breaking up the rythm of the attacking side as anything else.

Exactly, referees need to be wiser and more consistent when adding time on. Why can't one official somewhere keep a check on how much the ball was in play and advise the referee how much to add on.

24 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Is the clock on when a player is trying to throw the ball in or does it only start when the ball enters play?  Would think that makes a quite a difference.

five min sin bins for yellows - just encourages the side with a man less to low block for five mins which is v frustrating to watch. I can’t really see it stopping anyone from committing a yellow card offence.  It would make a difference for the five mins where you’re down to ten as you couldn’t afford to drop to nine. So that low block becomes even more negative because you just aren’t going to be tempted out of shape where you run any risks. 

I would have 10 minute sin bins anyway, 5 mins is not enough. Not going to stop all tactical fouls but it will help things a little. Just like giving a red card and penalty for a deliberate handball stopping a goal, doesn't stop players from doing it as the penalty could still be missed and if it is last minute, no advantage of having an extra man.

A good thread.  I'd like to see changes that make the game more exciting to watch, and reduce bad sportsmanship and time-wasting.

1.  In general, use VAR to overturn the small number of really bad decisions quickly rather than very slowly scrutinise every major decision.  The way it's used in the Prem kills the excitement of the game, and some of the decisions seem fairly arbitrary.  In general I thought the Euros used VAR much better.

2.  The only exception to the above is diving, which I'd like to see more scrutiny of, as I think the problem is getting worse and not really picked up.  

3.  Give more benefit of the doubt to the attacker in offsides, e.g. by using a thick line for adjudging offside on a screen, with the attacker only offside if a goal-scoring part of their body is beyond it.  Or maybe even saying they are only offside if every goal-scoring part of their body is beyond it.  

4.  Sinbins for professional fouls that don't lead directly to a goalscoring opportunity, but where a yellow card is not enough of a deterrent, e.g. holding back opponents.  Also for diving and dissent, and anything else where the player is making a clear choice to break the rules, rather than e.g. genuinely trying to tackle but mistiming it.  

5.  Take timekeeping off referees, like they do in rugby, and have it on a big screen for everyone to see.  With the clock automatically stopped for substitutions and injuries, to stop the timewasting at the end of the match.  And any other time that the ref indicates to the time keeper. 

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of most American sports but football isn't American and these rule changes seem to be dragging it that way. Can't say I'm a fan of any of these rules. 

Stopwatch - Seems like a good idea on the face of it but how long before advertising companies take advantage and we start taking ad breaks mid game whilst the clock is stopped anyway? Similar to American Football. 

30 min half's - Doesn't work without stopwatch rule. 

Sin bins - will just encourage teams to park the bus for 5 minutes which could slow the game down. 

Unlimited subs - puts smaller teams at a massive disadvantage. 

Corner/throw ins - I'm less adverse to these.