Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

FIFA Considering rule change.

Two 30 mins halves the only one with any value. All the others seem pretty pointless.

You can't just play 45 then add the time below 30 minutes played. We've all been to games when it feels like little to no football has actually been played. Allowing 45 minutes to pass and then adding on the amount of time actually required would take too long, and football would become less of a spectacle. Bear in mind first halves always seem to default to 1 minute regardless of what happened in the first half, barring major injuries.

The reason for trialling is surely to see whether 30 minutes of stopwatch play roughly matches the average 45 plus stoppage half. If it doesn't, tweak up or down.

I fail to understand any reason other than inertia as to why people could be against this.

Removes the complete guesswork, inconsistency and unconscious bias allowed by added time, and limits the extent to which sh*thousing can be allowed to work. 

It can only be pro football.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, okie fox said:

Years ago in the US they had a clock on the big screen, which was stopped for injuries and counted down the seconds like in American (gridiron) football.  It ruined the end of the game as the side in the lead knew exactly how many seconds to waste and the crowd would count it down for the home team.  I am opposed to anything that Americanises the game!

Don't put it on a big screen then.

4 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

45 min half with stop watch. Fook off with this 30 min bollox.

Will fans pay less for a match ticket and tv subscriptions then seeing as we are getting less entertainment? No? Well fook off then! Lol

Sin bins and an implementation of this i wouldnt mind seeing how it works. The kick in thing doesnt change time wasting but I'm not 100% against it.

Having said that, How about we just focus on the cheating/time wasting/fake injuries and punish players for it (during or after the game) Surely thats all we need? And yes, that means yellow cards can be retroactively upgraded and both yellows/red can be rescinded etc. Perhaps fine people for yellows and reds too..

The goal has to be to make people accountable so that we get flowing, attacking, exciting football with limited cheating.

Soft and hard Salary cap would be good too!

It isn't that hard to understand. 

30 minutes of football does not equal 30 minutes of time. Fans would still experience 45 minutes of on field action per half. Including all of the stoppages. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

It isn't that hard to understand. 

30 minutes of football does not equal 30 minutes of time. Fans would still experience 45 minutes of on field action per half. Including all of the stoppages. 

I want 45 minutes of football though not 30+15 minutes of neymar 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trabuch said:

30 min halves and stopped clocks would change the dynamic of the game. I like the fact that teams that are behind rush to take throw ins and free kicks. And teams with a lead push, as far as the ref will allow, to slow the game down. It's part of football. It's up to the referees to stop time wasting within the current rules of the game. 

Time wasting has not always been part of football started creeping in the 70's and and has got significantly worse since then. 

We all I'm sure want to improve refereeing,  one way of helping to achieve that would be to make it easier to referee a game.    Take the responsibility for time keeping off the ref and I'm am sure we will see a improvement,  if only marginal, in standards.

Kick ins - basically any time in the attacking third will be like a corner. Unlimited subs, well this has been well covered so no need to go on. The 30 min thing I'm ambivalent about but then the whole, "pi55 off there was much more time than that" comes about. My point is.... If it ain't broke them don't fix it! What they do need to fix is all the cheating. A straight red for a dive, zero tolerance. That part of the game is really annoying me! 

In theory, I get all these changes and if they were proposed by grass roots or the EFL, I'd be more open. 

But they're not. It's FIFA. Fuching FIFA. So they're doing this to appeal to Americans and get the youth interested in the game. 

Want to know how to get young people into football and away from videogames, etc. Here -

MAKE IT CHEAPER FOR THEM TO GO TO GAMES

• Like 1

These ideas are looking at ways to improve the game based on things that most fans find frustrating.

Time wasting at the end of the game is one of the worst things, when the last 10 minutes of the game just peter out to nothing as a team just sit back, slow it down and foul every time an attack comes in. There are a few ways to address it, one the ref already has, but doesn't use nearly enough, book players for time wasting we can all see it happening, but refs don't.

I don't know if 30 minute halves would change it dramatically, but it's worth looking into and it gives everyone involved full transparency and consistent application of a simple rule. The down side is it will be a pain in the arse for Sunday league refs having to constantly stop and start the watch.

Another approach is a 10/20 second timer to get the ball back in play, fail to get it in play then you lose possession and the opposition get the set-piece. This may work better than booking a player for time wasting.

Unlimited subs is just a no

Kick ins - will probably create longer stoppages as they will be used like corners, everyone goes up the left footer walks across the pitch for the in swinging kick in, it's a no unless players are allowed the choice to do a quick kick in, ie one step kick, or a throw depending on circumstances. 

Dribble from corners, you can do that now you just need the corner taker to tap it to you, then you can dribble, teams don't do that because it offers very little.

Sin bins, this is the one I'm most interested in, I can see it cutting down on fouls, but I can also see it just leading to 5 minutes of shit football. I would rather that any cynical deliberate foul with 0 attempt to play the ball to break up an attack is a straight red. Chiellini being the perfect example. Whilst that sort of foul is only punished with a yellow it will continue to happen and it's not what anyone wants to see.

Just now, filbertway said:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/var-premier-league-stop-clock-132838

In the premier league 17/18 season the ball was in play for just under 60 minutes. Stoke vs Watford, the crowd actually saw the ball off the pitch more than they saw it on the pitch lol

So in that Stoke Watford game it would take more than hour to complete each half. That is the downside, it would be better to find ways to encourage and facilitate teams to get on with it and punish them if they don't.

The multiball system for the Euros worked well, the balls are just sat there waiting, no ball boys or anything else, just get the ball and get on with it.

They also need to look at the amount of time it takes to take a direct free kick, from foul to Maddison inevitably smashing it over the bar can take 2-3 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

So in that Stoke Watford game it would take more than hour to complete each half. That is the downside, it would be better to find ways to encourage and facilitate teams to get on with it and punish them if they don't.

The multiball system for the Euros worked well, the balls are just sat there waiting, no ball boys or anything else, just get the ball and get on with it.

They also need to look at the amount of time it takes to take a direct free kick, from foul to Maddison inevitably smashing it over the bar can take 2-3 minutes.

I suppose the thinking is that they wouldn't waste as much time, because...what's the point?

Just now, filbertway said:

I suppose the thinking is that they wouldn't waste as much time, because...what's the point?

It doesn't necessarily mean Stoke Watford were deliberately wasting time, it was probably just a niggly game of football with lots of fouls, maybe a couple of injuries, lots of set pieces. Just 2 shit teams lumping the ball about.

The change I would want to see is to let the game continue if a player is injured & the trainer can come on & treat him. It would only be necessary to stop play if the action went anywhere near the player.

This works fine in Rugby Union & League & would stop players going down as if a sniper has hit them & cut out the play-acting

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It doesn't necessarily mean Stoke Watford were deliberately wasting time, it was probably just a niggly game of football with lots of fouls, maybe a couple of injuries, lots of set pieces. Just 2 shit teams lumping the ball about.

True true. You've won me round to be fair haha

You know what, if everyone is happy with how it is then there's not much point changing it. I do wish the 4th official was in charge of keeping track of stoppages. The refs are clearly rubbish at it generally. I think any time the ball is out of play for longer than x amount of seconds, they should add the excess of the x seconds onto the time.

They'd probably have to look at the stats to see what the average is, but I would image around 15-20 seconds.

• Like 1

Guest Manley Farrington-Brown
6 hours ago, filbertway said:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/var-premier-league-stop-clock-132838

In the premier league 17/18 season the ball was in play for just under 60 minutes. Stoke vs Watford, the crowd actually saw the ball off the pitch more than they saw it on the pitch lol

60 minutes is a very small amount of actual football for a whole premier league season. When you think how many matches there were, you’d be looking at only a few seconds for each match… 😉

43 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

60 minutes is a very small amount of actual football for a whole premier league season. When you think how many matches there were, you’d be looking at only a few seconds for each match… 😉

I'm unhappy with the large swathes of pedants that have infiltrated this forum :D

On 20/07/2021 at 23:58, STUHILL said:

Don't like any of those changes apart from maybe yellow card sin bins.

It would stop those awful professional fouls, e.g Chiellini on Saka 

But would probably make players less likely than ever to be aggressive in the challenge.

Only thing I really want ditching, is extra time. Straight to pens in all comps! 

....you watch the refs clamp down at the start and start backing off through the season in regards to yellow Card sin bins!!!

It always will be subjective, and referees will be bowing to the big boys as usual. We see it happening every week, the inconsistency of the officials will not make this rule any different.

• Like 1

Guest Manley Farrington-Brown
3 hours ago, filbertway said:

I'm unhappy with the large swathes of pedants that have infiltrated this forum :D

I wouldn’t say I was a pedant, exactly…

On 21/07/2021 at 08:25, KrefelderFox666 said:

Exactly, referees need to be wiser and more consistent when adding time on. Why can't one official somewhere keep a check on how much the ball was in play and advise the referee how much to add on.

....a bit like having a VAR official, and we know how incompetent they are!!!

On 21/07/2021 at 12:51, Webbo said:

I knew someone would try and squeeze some English nationalism narrative into this.

I mean ours, the fans, the people across the world who pour their money, time and emotion into it. 

A few tweaks in the offside rule, change what you can get carded for, fair enough. Fundamental changes like the length of the game, throw ins to kick ins, unlimited subs? No way. 

...do you think this could be a move to cater for the American market!!!

The only reason why that question may be moot would be the games like Baseball and NFL games are long drawn out events, I can't imagine them looking to adapt those games as it is so much part of their culture.

But it does sound like a move to a more instant gratification sort world.

20 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

Do they mean the watch will stop similar to Rugby? If so I'm cool with that. I've always wanted some sort of sin-bin for intentional dangerous play that's not considered a red, not sure I want it attached to all yellows tbh. All this though needs to be in conjunction with better refereeing and a complete change in on-pitch culture between referees and players. And we know that wont happen. I would have ALL communication go between the captain and ref' unless the ref specifically pulls a player aside to warn them (and even then the captain is present and is the only representative of the team who can talk). If players do chat in any way (and I mean in any way) that would be a warning to the captain followed by yellow card offenses. That combative and niggling nature between refs and players has to go for a more healthy relationship to officiate a match. 

The rest are all BS and unneeded but unlimited changes is literally the worse idea of the lot. Just more pandering to the big clubs. But my guess is the whole lot will be binned with the subs staying as they are (5) so they can call it a compromise (almost as if it was all planned). 

...very much what is happening in Rugby Union at the present and it works!!!

The relationship between Captains and referee is a bit of an artform, as, if you know how to get on the refs good side, it bears result throughout the match.