Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NYC Fox Fan

What do you do for a living?

As the title implies, what do you do for a living? Are you happy with your job? What could you be doing instead? Interested in learning about other Leicester fans around the world. As a starter, I’m a civil engineer in New York City. I used to help design some of the Hudson Yards buildings, but now work on upgrading wastewater treatment plants in the City. I’m happy in terms of stress and work/life balance, but it’s too expensive where I live. Contemplating relocating to New Zealand.

• Like 3

Translator / project manager at a translation agency. Living the dream... :rolleyes:

In terms of dream job, working on and living off my own farm, somewhere in rural South America would do me nicely, but thats a pipe dream. Anything that doesn't involve being in front of the computer for long periods every day and pays the mortgage would do, to be honest.

I'm a CAD Technician for an M&E Company in Doncaster. About to start training courses in BIM/Revit and Electrical Design in the next few months too, as that will help with the long term plan: I hope to emigrate to Australia by the time I'm 40 (7 Years).

That being said, i love my current job and the company i work for, so if the Australia move doesn't happen then it wouldn't be the end of the world

Edited by TiffToff88

9 minutes ago, NYC Fox Fan said:

As the title implies, what do you do for a living? Are you happy with your job? What could you be doing instead? Interested in learning about other Leicester fans around the world. As a starter, I’m a civil engineer in New York City. I used to help design some of the Hudson Yards buildings, but now work on upgrading wastewater treatment plants in the City. I’m happy in terms of stress and work/life balance, but it’s too expensive where I live. Contemplating relocating to New Zealand.

My Dad was a civil engineer. Apparently when I was a bout 5 years old, the teacher asked us what our parents did for a living, and I said my Dad was a "silly engineer" - which was highly amusing :rolleyes:

I work for myself as an executive coach, management consultant, and trainer, in the corporate world. I couldn't think of doing anything else and I mainly enjoy it. Only 9 years left until I stop and retire :unsure:

We went on our honeymoon to NZ and if there's one place in the world I would relocate to it would be there. Absolutely amazing part of the world.

• Like 1

SHEQ Co-ordinator (Safety, Health, Environmental, Quality) for a warehouse/distribution centre

Started 4 weeks before the 1st lockdown, furloughed for 6 months, came back for 2 months with no manager and no real direction, loaned to another department for another 2 months, now I am FINALLY getting stuck in to what I should be doing

Not what I planned to be doing after graduating from Uni with a Geography degree but good pay and a good company to work for sure make it a lot easier!

Quality Administartor for a worldwide branded pharmaceutical  carton manufacturer.

Fecking living the dream.

Would have loved to be a PE teacher(Realistically)

DJ (Unrealistically, especially  as I'm in bed by 9.30 most nights!!!!)

Teacher. 

Was in TEFL for 10 years happily making very little money but enjoying a nice lifestyle and lots of travel. 

Brexit cimbined with what I'd already observed as the slow death of the industry convinced me to make some changes and I'm now I'm back in UK in academia. 

Good job too because Covid and this government have finished off ELT in the UK for good. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Project manager for a cardboard company - yep we make boxes.... 

project I am on is alright working for one of the big discount supermarkets but all in all its a job that pays the bills. 

I really would love to work outside something with the forestry commission but wouldn't even know where to start

• Like 1

Cardiac rehab instructor, I love it, only started 3 months ago but I stepped away from what I always thought was my dream job as a sport scientist for a championship football club for better pay and work/life balance and haven't looked back since. The dream is to open up a physical performance consultancy further down the line, how that will work who knows!

• Like 1

I’m a programme manager for a large holiday company. I was a support manager which was quite operations based and I loved it but after a restructure due to covid my job changed and it is a bit dull now. Pays the bills though. 

Now retired... Dropped out 3 times to have Real Time to travel....und

# M/c Builder & toolMaker ( Good old Bentleys when it was Top Dog W.Wide),

Took on various projects Europe through to Africa.S.America... Including Instructor & group-leader.

# Gastronomy...Cellar-man,support landlord..learnt the wine-trade to Sommelier..Club-steward.

# Finished as IT-Telecommunications-network & cables. Technician.upto  Instructor & Management

dropped deliberately down to do customer tech-support & consultancy....

In all 3 had my own businesses,but due to Adventure-world-traveller enjoying delibrately  getting lost or away, Management career didnt  interest me...

Courted in London suburbs,married in Mexico After hard gruelling 16 day trek..

Then With Wife & kids enjoyed far lost corners of Indian-continent & adventure

trekking using own Expedition-truck.go get around....

Work was just a Platform for Collecting budget & monies for travel,eventuell owning own House

...I Met the right girls,then the Diamond of the pack,now my wife,who like me loved to travel

the insecure & unknown...but still doing most world-adventure tourist locations...Though Today is a different world to our period..!!

So the Work was a Platform for other aspirations...

PS...some humble & life Experience Building was also doing VSO for developement agencies, & Light-services to

support Docteur sans Frontier..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

Project manager for a cardboard company - yep we make boxes.... 

project I am on is alright working for one of the big discount supermarkets but all in all its a job that pays the bills. 

I really would love to work outside something with the forestry commission but wouldn't even know where to start

This all resonates to me so much, especially the last sentence

2 hours ago, Adster said:

IT Service Desk Manager - started the role 2 years ago as a trainee but now fully fledged. Love it. Every day is different. 

Opportunity to switch nicely in to service management there too, which I find really interesting - I completed my ITIL foundation last year on furlough as well as my Prince 2 Agile and both were really interesting - I don’t really need either for the job that I do, but Id like to move in to Service Management, maybe more specifically process management, at some point. 

Just now, The People's Hero said:

I sell insurance.

I did that way back in about 1980. Turned out to be a pyramid selling organisation based in America. I ended up owing them my commission and having to sell my car.