Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NYC Fox Fan

What do you do for a living?

3 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

This all resonates to me so much, especially the last sentence

Yeah absolutely it's certainly something I will do when I'm closer to retirement.

Its also probably the fact I've just finished watching watching big timber on Netflix :D

Customer success manager for a leading Customer Experience SaaS provider 

been there 8 years. Worked from home throughout 

I’m the only person in Europe for our team which is focussed on US Market

could be worse / could be better 

I work in financial services software, based in Leicester. Role of business analyst. Fell into it via a graduate programme, never looked back and worked my way up. Will be 10 years in a few months. Studied Accountancy at DMU then went straight into this. 7 years at the first company, now nearly 3 (and counting) at this one.

It gives me and my family a good life, it is challenging and pretty varied. It has also helped me understand the mortgage/insurance/wealth market and I learn every day.

Having said that, I have had moments where I doubt myself and wish I did a job that was more rewarding in regard to helping other people or communities. However, I know that what I do is a small part that helps financial advisors do their job well and look after people (get them on the housing ladder, key insurances, retirement planning etc.). I count myself very lucky to have hit this path and would never moan or take it for granted.

I remember talking to a relative of a patient I went to a few years ago and I asked what he did as a job. He said he was a sportswear analyst and advisor. I was quite impressed until he told me he worked in Sports Direct at Fosse Park. Nice guy and an amusing bloke.

Edited by Parafox

43 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I remember talking to a relative of a patient I went to a few years ago and I asked what he did as a job. He said he was a sportswear analyst and advisor. I was quite impressed until he told me he worked in Sports Direct at Fosse Park. Nice guy and an amusing bloke.

Reminds me of an old friend of mine who when he was asked what he liked to do in his spare time always used to say "I'm an unpaid self-employed product tester for beer and wine companies." :D

Edited by Sampson

I work in medical IT industry currently as an Application Systems Analyst. Definitely pays the bills but after working in "IT" for about 19 years i am very interested in a career change.  No bloody idea how to go about that and what to do. There are some things I love doing that have nothing to do with IT. However, I'd likely be able to make decent or better money if I worked in a field that could use my background. 

At 41 I think that I am approaching the "do I really want to do this till I am 65" phase of my life.

I would love being a detective or something related.  A step up from Johnny English though lol

Edited by Jattdogg

I was rubbish as a sales rep. Then I was rubbish as a teacher. Then I got ill. When I got better, it turned out I’d somehow managed to forge a role as a niche writer. No idea how that happened. People pay me twice as much as they should to do something they could do themselves. Means I get to spend afternoons dicking about with the dogs in fields or flying off to drink and eat at conferences. For some reason, these people are now paying me to talk to them too. I’d not listen to me, let alone pay me for the privilege. 

Learn how to spell and punctuate, kids. The grammar nazis were right after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I run my own recruitment agency, mainly dealing with temp driving staff. It's fast paced and you either have a fantastic day or a terrible day, there is never any middle ground.

Love being my own boss, although I put in far too many hours (according to my wife) but wouldn't change anything about it really. Can't ever imagine being an empolyee again.

• Like 1

Finance Director for a podcast company. I have so many ideas on what I could be doing, ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous. I came into accounting relatively late, and absolutely love it so in the end I wouldn't change it.

Great thread! Really interesting to read what you all do! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wakeyfox said:

I run my own recruitment agency, mainly dealing with temp driving staff. It's fast paced and you either have a fantastic day or a terrible day, there is never any middle ground.

Love being my own boss, although I put in far too many hours (according to my wife) but wouldn't change anything about it really. Can't ever imagine being an empolyee again.

Shout out to the driving recruitment crew :trumpet:

• Like 1

I work for a sustainability consultancy. Basically advise businesses or financial institutions (mainly PE firms) on how to embed sustainability in their organisation, from strategy down. I have wanted to work in this sector for a long time and finally made the move last month (from more general management consultancy).

Would like to work for myself in a few years: would like my own consultancy and have a few other ideas to help small businesses with sustainability issues. May end up moving to a finance company to do ESG though (for the money).

Edited by bmt
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Parafox said:

I met a bloke once who told me he was a Garbiologist. Turns out he was a bin man lol

• Haha 2

IT, for a big company. Effectively still in my first job out of uni, just 15 years later.

Should really move and try something else, but the conditions are comfortable, colleagues are decent and I can never quite believe the grass is actually greener elsewhere.