Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Match Thread vs Burton Albion (A) - Youtube/LCFC TV

A meaningless game that was primarily for match-sharpness. But, my word, we need

to find some. Quickly. Man City are two weeks away and, rustiness or no, the quality was poor and we are nowhere near ready for the test that they will provide. Great to see some new names and get a close-up of what they are all about. Also, reassuring to know the close-season hasn’t dented our ability to sling it aimlessly from side to side in our own half. 😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guest Manley Farrington-Brown
Just now, TrentFox said:

A meaningless game that was primarily for match-sharpness. But, my word, we need

to find some. Quickly. Man City are two weeks away and, rustiness or no, the quality was poor and we are nowhere near ready for the test that they will provide. Great to see some new names and get a close-up of what they are all about. Also, reassuring to know the close-season hasn’t dented our ability to sling it aimlessly from side to side in our own half. 😂

It’s ok, that Man City game isn’t a proper match. We have a whole three weeks to sort everything out.

But yes, friendlies are meaningless in any real sense. The manager and players will have had some aims today. We have no idea what they were; no point us getting either excited or downhearted until 14th August!

The fact that we were able to field a different 11 in each half and still have players from the Euro`s, Harvey, Jonny and JJ to come in certainly shows we have what looks like a very strong squad, it was a warm up match and I thought there was plenty to be optimistic about.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Anyone got any ideas on what was going on with the formation 2nd half? Looked like a lopsided 4-3-3 with no one out on the left wing. kDH a few times opened up for that diagonal and there was no one out there 

Noticed this. Looked strange tbh. That thai lad looks a good player though 

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Anyone got any ideas on what was going on with the formation 2nd half? Looked like a lopsided 4-3-3 with no one out on the left wing. kDH a few times opened up for that diagonal and there was no one out there 

Pretty sure Suengchitthawon was left wing 2nd half, but he is more of an attacking mid than a winger and was drifting inside, with Thomas at times overlapping him - led to a couple of decent chances as well

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Pretty sure Suengchitthawon was left wing 2nd half, but he is more of an attacking mid than a winger and was drifting inside, with Thomas at times overlapping him - led to a couple of decent chances as well

He looked more like a #10 and certainly offered no width like Sowah did on the other side. Left Thomas very isolated in possession and forced the ball inside. Like we say it was all about the fitness but to me looked very incoherent

We do need to improve the service into the strikers this season. Vardy hasn't necessarily carried us for years but maybe we've become complacent and thinking "he doesn't need many touches, not many opportunities and he'll drag us through"? We've no idea how Daka will perform- he may need several chances to score- and we really need to provide clear goalscoring opportunities for our strikers.

Our pedestrian build-up does blunt us at times.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Exactly. We’ll have three league games under our belt by then and will be starting to have an idea of how it might all fit together this season.

....Villareal should give us a good pointer to the shape we will be taking!!!

The Charity Shield (against Man. City) should be interesting as we will more likely go to a back three, but that won't be our natural setup.

19 minutes ago, Corky said:

We do need to improve the service into the strikers this season. Vardy hasn't necessarily carried us for years but maybe we've become complacent and thinking "he doesn't need many touches, not many opportunities and he'll drag us through"? We've no idea how Daka will perform- he may need several chances to score- and we really need to provide clear goalscoring opportunities for our strikers.

Our pedestrian build-up does blunt us at times.

Yes, playing it out from the back every time is killing me.

I'm not against playing out from the back, we don't play with two up top including a big man so hitting it long for flick-ons won't work. I just think we take too long and allow the opposition to get settled thus we don't have the room to create.

We're probably going to have to open the game up a lot more and take risks. We should be looking at creating at least 5 or 6 good chances in the area per match.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Corky said:

I'm not against playing out from the back, we don't play with two up top including a big man so hitting it long for flick-ons won't work. I just think we take too long and allow the opposition to get settled thus we don't have the room to create.

We're probably going to have to open the game up a lot more and take risks. We should be looking at creating at least 5 or 6 good chances in the area per match.

...todays game was not a good example to judge the team by!!!

We were half pace and very deliberate in our play. There were incidents where Maddison went centrally and was looking for the ball, but was not receiving it, as he had  opposition players a few yards away from him. This is the time where the risky pass could pay dividend where he could play a pass first time with a third man on the move, or making a backfoot turn to breach the line infront of the defence.

Several times where the player just needed to come short, to pull us out of a predicament, but they held their position, got closed down and the keeper had to hoof the ball up the pitch to alleviate pressure.

When we are fully up to speed, we will take this out of our make with more movement and being braver in possession.

34 minutes ago, Corky said:

I think the whole debate around this is proven when for once Ricardo just hit one into the channel, Daka had a sniff and the young Zimbabwean lad nearly scored a great goal. 

9 hours ago, Corky said:

Soumare looked good, Bertrand made one block and looked ok on the ball, Daka barely had a touch.

Daka was probably surprised at the fitness and quality of the opposition in the first friendly. In Austria the Bundesliga Teams tend start off playing some 'village' Team and whack them 10-0.  (The playing surfaces here for teams at this level are usually fine and safe).

So the forwards get their shooting boots on early before stepping up the quality of the opposition in the following Friendlies.

9 hours ago, TrentFox said:

In fairness, that too is a fairly meaningless game albeit a good hiding could dent confidence somewhat. Still a game for fitness and full use of the squad, not a game to risk injury through fatigue or playing through twinges. Likewise Villareal, though I'm far more interested in that one tbh.

Was never going to be anywhere near our fluid best, 2 different sides getting 45 minutes each was purely about getting fitness and match sharpness.

But a lot of positives for me, I thought Soumare looked quality,  Daka will be a real threat but we couldn’t give him the quality service also from the 1st half line up I thought Hamza looked decent as the CDM a lot more composed in possession and more disciplined when out of possession, could be a real bonus if we can retain him as cover for that role and maybe move on Mendy. 

2nd half we definitely seemed to play with a higher tempo, Vardy looked fit and sharp, KDH like Hamza could give us that vital homegrown quality cover in midfield which could be critical when naming our PL and EL squads. Also thought Benko looked fit and comfortable at the back, Daley-Campbell had good energy and got forward well whilst Luke Thomas was arguably our best player. 

Penalties were honking but overall decent run out for 22 players and plenty of younger players given opportunities. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Elliot Mackness (@ElliotMackness) Tweeted: 🦊 #LCFC #BAFC #Match🦊

My team versus #BAFC

Focusing on debutants and young players, the aim of this is to play the match, get some unfit senior players game time off the bench, and provide an opportunity to impress.
💙🦊💙

Read more below⬇️ https://t.co/t3XhMwPHdR

This lad claims to be itk....

Picked a player that's still on holiday and used fitzhughs pic for Nelson.

Don't believe a word of him.