Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The annoying thing is, it was absolutely the priority this summer. We didn't need Soumare and we needed a RW before a striker. I'm very pleased we got Soumare and most certainly Daka but from an XI point of view its the one position we so badly needed a much better player in and as of yet we haven't got it.

We will sign another right winger, like we did last summer and like we appeared to do the summer before with Perez. The issue is getting the right player, not easy but quite frustrating given our capabilities at recruitment.

The positives are that if Barnes stays fit next season we likely have a winger who will score and assists sub 20 goals which is rare and with Maddison capable of scoring and assisting decent numbers, any right winger bringing goals and assists is what will be the difference in improvement year on year. Even a right winger who could score half a dozen and assists a similar amount would be a huge improvement on last season.

I wouldn't want us thinking " oh well, we don't need this winger to be that good " but there's a view that because wingers that score and assists in double figures are rare that we therefore probably can't find one and so we shouldn't prioritise it. Get this missing piece and I'm confident we can fight off the inevitable surge from the big 6 and the likes of Villa, Leeds etc.

I'm going to play devils advocate when Vardy has been fit and firing the RW has never been a massive issue, so having Daka give the option to use Vardy better and keep him fresher. 

We lost games from being a little light weigh and easy to play against, team playing thougth the middle to easy, Soumare can give us a more solid base and allows the fullback to be more attacking. 

Soumare was needed for me, we need the physically he can bring to the team.

7 of the 12 games we lost we concided 3 or more, what does a RW change in those games?

Unless we get a RW who going to chuck out Mahrez type numbers, it doesn't make that much of a difference, Under/Marc got 1 goal, 8 assist combined from RM

Edited by coolhandfox

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Soumare is not a defensive midfielder, if Ndidi doesn't play then you'd need a combination of Soumare and KDH + Youri to make up for what Ndidi brings. Soumare doesn't screen and tackle and intercept like Ndidi, he doesn't have the sixth sense that destroyers like Ndidi have. What he does have is incredible ability to get on the ball in defensive midfield areas and get us on the attack.

....I am not saying he is the Ndidi backup or stand in, I am saying what he brings!!!

Playing a 4-3-3 is where he so perfectly sits with us.

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....we definitely needed a striker this window!!!

But it is not that we have not prioritise a Right Winger this window, we did not last year, we did not the previous year to that and we did not prioritise the year before that. When do we make it or priority??

I believe it will be 4-3-3 next season which omits Maddison in a conventional role, but going by previous decisions by Rodgers he could choose to play him on the right of the front three.

I don't think it's about prioritising or not. Young promising wingers with good resale value are hard to come by. I think it's hard to find true value in the market, for this position - i.e look at Perez and Under....

16 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Anyone think we could be potentially going without wingers as our main system this season and moving more towards a narrow diamond with full backs providing width?

Such as:

Ndidi

Soumare                 Tielemans

Maddison

Daka/Kel      Vardy

Be a shame as this would obviously mean sacrificing Barnes, but it would make sense as to why we haven't gone gung-ho for a RM so far?

No chance. Barnes will come straight in and we'll carry on making do on the right side imo

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He wasn't essential, if and when he plays it'll be even more important we have a strong right winger as he will play instead of a creative midfielder like Maddison or Tielemans. He's a 4-3-3 midfielder alongside a DCM like Ndidi and a deep lying playmaker like Tielemans or KDH, therefore in order to not lose attacking ability the front 3 have to all be capable of goals. Right now we are relying and praying on Sowah being able to do that or playing Iheanacho or Daka on the wing.

I agree a big midfielder like Soumare was something this squad needed but in the list of priorities it was behind a right winger and a striker. 

We lost 7 games conciding 3 or more, we can't be newcastle and try and out scored the teams.

Rewatch the game we lost and watch how may time we were cut open thought the middle or physically dominated at set peices, we needed soumare. 

5 of the 12 game we lost, was when Ndidi was unavailable, 2 others when he had to play CB (Everton (A), Spurs (H after 30mins).

So 7 games lost when Ndidi didnt play or was not a DM

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I am not saying he is the Ndidi backup or stand in, I am saying what he brings!!!

Playing a 4-3-3 is where he so perfectly sits with us.

Soumare is a classic CM, not an ACM or a DM. He doesn't possess the movement with his legs to intercept balls like Ndidi does and he has that forward thinking and quite often has a good eye for forward play.

11 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Soumare is a classic CM, not an ACM or a DM. He doesn't possess the movement with his legs to intercept balls like Ndidi does and he has that forward thinking and quite often has a good eye for forward play.

...once again, I am not saying he is a Ndidi replacement or stand in!!!

38 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I'm going to play devils advocate when Vardy has been fit and firing the RW has never been a massive issue, so having Daka give the option to use Vardy better and keep him fresher. 

We lost games from being a little light weigh and easy to play against, team playing thougth the middle to easy, Soumare can give us a more solid base and allows the fullback to be more attacking. 

Soumare was needed for me, we need the physically he can bring to the team.

7 of the 12 games we lost we concided 3 or more, what does a RW change in those games?

Unless we get a RW who going to chuck out Mahrez type numbers, it doesn't make that much of a difference, Under/Marc got 1 goal, 8 assist combined from RM

A lot of those losses were against mediocre sides at home, Soumare isn't going to be deployed in those games at the expense of Maddison without a new right winger, people would go wild if so.

Sounare is a good signing, but to utilise him for the purpose we want him for makes it even more essential we get a right winger in.

I agree with you that when everyone is fit and firing we've Barnes, Maddison and Vardy scoring enough goals so the right winger doing the same isn't quite as essential but it is if we want to improve. We've hit our ceiling 2 seasons on the spin and then come undone due to varying factors. We now have a better squad but we still lack the key player our starting XI badly needed and as it stands even with everyone fit its a weakness. It's telling when that position has better players from the majority of the league than our right wingers. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

It's been sorted for ages lol 

New contract?

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think because we bought Perez that we won't be interested in paying for another right winger. Rodgers knows Ayo has flopped and he's not a samaritan, he wants to be successful. We were on the verge of paying £24m for Ünder but Rudkin played a blinder in changing it from an obligation to an option. Likewise Rodgers only said he'd considered Ricardo for on the wing due to our lack of options there and us having Justin, Castagne and Thomas available at full back (that quickly changed).

To go 4-3-3 with Soumare, Ndidi and Tielemans means even more than ever we need a quality right winger otherwise it's one less attack minded player being utilised which we saw hamper us when we had to change formations last season. We need to prioritise solving the right wing issue at some point, hopefully this summer and that we can maintain our fight in the top 6.

Rodgers said “It’s been something I’ve been waiting to do for quite a long time, but this is the first period where both of those boys were fit to play,”. That was his plan, not something he had to do with injuries.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

A lot of those losses were against mediocre sides at home, Soumare isn't going to be deployed in those games at the expense of Maddison without a new right winger, people would go wild if so.

Sounare is a good signing, but to utilise him for the purpose we want him for makes it even more essential we get a right winger in.

I agree with you that when everyone is fit and firing we've Barnes, Maddison and Vardy scoring enough goals so the right winger doing the same isn't quite as essential but it is if we want to improve. We've hit our ceiling 2 seasons on the spin and then come undone due to varying factors. We now have a better squad but we still lack the key player our starting XI badly needed and as it stands even with everyone fit its a weakness. It's telling when that position has better players from the majority of the league than our right wingers. 

We lost too these team, if we had Soumare last season he would have played against, everyone in pot 1 and maybe Villa and Leeds in pot 2

Pot 1)  Chelsea (A), Liverpool (A), West Ham (A), Everton (A), West Ham (H), Man City (H), Spurs (H), Arsenal (H)

Pot 2) Newcastle (H), Fulham (H), Villa (H) Leeds (H)

4-3-3 isnt the only formation you can play a 3 man midfield in.

I'm not say we don't need a RW, but I think it was on equal par with, the postions we have filled in Daka and Soumare

1 injury to Vardy and we just had Nacho or visa versa 

1 injury to Ndidi and we had no physicality in the middle of the park.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

People crying like babies about a right winger are forgetting 2 things. 

1. Brendan is extremely fluid in his tactical approach and we hardly played a 4 3 3 with a pure right winger at all last season to the point where under who was signed to that end barely started a game. 

2. We still have one of the top 3 most highly decorated players in the clubs history knocking around who is still in his prime. 

0_Marc-Albrighton-of-Leicester-City-lifts-the-Emirates-FA-Cup-Trophy.jpg

download (3).jpeg

We also looked appalling at times in the final third of the season and it was because our attacking options were just not good enough

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

We also looked appalling at times in the final third of the season and it was because our attacking options were just not good enough

You do realise we were joint 3rd highest scores in the league......

Man City 83

Man U     73

Liverpool 68

Spurs      68

LCFC      68

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Rodgers said “It’s been something I’ve been waiting to do for quite a long time, but this is the first period where both of those boys were fit to play,”. That was his plan, not something he had to do with injuries.

Yes, as in because of our options at right wing he was considering Ricardo. He could have tried this I previous seasons but didn't. Maybe he liked the blend of Castagne and Ricardo to enable him to do so, I'd certainly be intruiged to see it if they are ever both fit for long enough and if we struggle to get that new winger.

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We lost too these team, if we had Soumare last season he would have played against, everyone in pot 1 and maybe Villa and Leeds in pot 2

Pot 1)  Chelsea (A), Liverpool (A), West Ham (A), Everton (A), West Ham (H), Man City (H), Spurs (H), Arsenal (H)

Pot 2) Newcastle (H), Fulham (H), Villa (H) Leeds (H)

4-3-3 isnt the only formation you can play a 3 man midfield in.

I'm not say we don't need a RW, but I think it was on equal par with, the postions we have filled in Daka and Soumare

1 injury to Vardy and we just had Nacho or visa versa 

1 injury to Ndidi and we had no physicality in the middle of the park.

And yet even with no injuries our right wing options aren't good enough for an aspiring top 4 team, that's the long and short of it.

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Agreed, Much prefer signing a player in the mould of Soumare over a right winger tbh. Flair players aren’t a necessity. Our attack is strong as it is 

Was it a combative midfielder that we were lacking in that final third of last season? No it wasn't. 

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

And yet even with no injuries our right wing options aren't good enough for an aspiring top 4 team, that's the long and short of it.

No, but I don't think it the reason we have finish 5th two seasons running. 

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

"Looked appalling at times" we finished 5th and won the FA cup have a word with yourself. 

"our attacking options were just not good enough" don't agree with this bit but Harvey barnes is back from long term injury and we have just signed one of the most prolific strikers in Europe.... So that should help. 

• Like 2