Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

You know what, I'm also glad to hear that if that's the case. I want to have the confidence our manager thinks he has the right squad. If he thinks Sowah is ready then great. 1 more would do but if Sowah is ready and he actually uses him then I'll be happy. My suspicions are he won't be used much and we will have the same problems as before.

Not convinced a back 4 will be the go to this season tbh Ric so I reckon you might be right regarding game time. 

We seem to be damned if we do and damned if we don't. Think of it another way I.e. we have progression players for most positions with backup players for them. We don't even have a back up for Perez which is disastrous initself. There is simply no natural evolution in the RW slot and that will cost money. The longer it gets though the worse it will get.

Just now, UHDrive said:

How many times in that championship season was he able to get around top top PL RB players and whip the ball into the box.

You and me remember Albrington very differently from that season.

He got 7 assist that season and didn't beat a single RB for pace on any of them. 

2 against Sunderland (H), 1 free kick and the other a cross for the 18 yeard cutting back before delivering.

1 against West Ham (A)    pull cross back in the box

2 West Brom (A)                2 crosses from deep deep cutting in field 

1 Swansea (A).                  corner

1 Chelsea (H)                    cross from deep cutting in field 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You know what, I'm also glad to hear that if that's the case. I want to have the confidence our manager thinks he has the right squad. If he thinks Sowah is ready then great. 1 more would do but if Sowah is ready and he actually uses him then I'll be happy. My suspicions are he won't be used much and we will have the same problems as before.

That might well be the case but my suspicion is that had we seen this lad playing in the euro leagues and signed him for £20m we'd be more than happy. 

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Agreed, Much prefer signing a player in the mould of Soumare over a right winger tbh. Flair players aren’t a necessity. Our attack is strong as it is 

....flair players!!!

Do you see the work rate of Mane or Son....players with talent in their feet and tireless workers. Rodgers will not be looking at some player who now and again gets involved when he doesn't have to move to get the ball, but putting in a shift is what our team's ethos is based on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Not convinced a back 4 will be the go to this season tbh Ric so I reckon you might be right regarding game time. 

We don't have the players for a back 3 though, I'm confident we go back to our preferred formation barring injuries.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

I’ve been told Brendan is very happy with Sowah, I reckon we are done transfer wise. 

And so he should be. The boy is a very decent prospect. But the nature of your average Leicester fan won't be happy with this.

If we signed someone with similar stats to him for a few million quid, we'd be happy with it, but somehow because he's already ours and come back from loan, many will see it as underwhelming.

Sowah on the right, Barnes on the left and our attacking play will be very pacey and direct 

Edited by Jimbo

Guest Chocolate Teapot
15 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

I’ve been told Brendan is very happy with Sowah, I reckon we are done transfer wise. 

If true thats great news. I'd figured he'd be sent on loan again to the championship this time.

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

You and me remember Albrington very differently from that season.

He got 7 assist that season and didn't beat a single RB for pace on any of them. 

2 against Sunderland (H), 1 free kick and the other a cross for the 18 yeard cutting back before delivering.

1 against West Ham (A)    pull cross back in the box

2 West Brom (A)                2 crosses from deep deep cutting in field 

1 Swansea (A).                  corner

1 Chelsea (H)                    cross from deep cutting in field 

You can throw as many stats as you want and I'm not even sure which wing you are talking about because during that season he operated on both.

My point is that he wasn't slow, and I'm sure every city fan knows how Albrighton is good at bending that leg around a player sometimes with an inch to spare to get that ball into the 18 yard box, or mainly crossing balls from midway though the opposition half for vardy to run onto.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, teblin said:

I guess if we go with what we’ve got, the options aren’t ideal but not terrible either.

sowah

perez

ricardo

daka?

For a team looking to be top 4, that is not good enough. Therefore we still are relying on the wonderful Albrighton to try to fill a Mahez sized hole.  

Sowah, I am unable to comment on, other than it is a huge ask, for anyone who has played 1 season of Belgian top division football.

Perez isnt up to the job, he is equally poor at every other position we are told he can play.

Ricky has the potential if he can be the player he was before the ACL, that is our best hope.

Daka is striker, not right winger!

We need a new quality winger!

11 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t think it’s arguing against our wingers being the weakest area in terms of quality depth, it’s just that there are other ways to configure the attack with the quality options we already have rather than splash the cash on a winger which isn’t a necessity. 

Can you give me answers to the 2 following scenarios on how you configure our attack without signing a right winger that is the calibre of player we require.

1) with our entire squad available what system and personnel do you deploy. I don't need the XI just the system and the midfield and attack.

2) if Barnes is unavailable what system and personnel do you deploy?

8 minutes ago, teblin said:

I guess if we go with what we’ve got, the options aren’t ideal but not terrible either.

sowah

perez

ricardo

daka?

Daka is a striker, Ricardo is a full back, Perez is better centrally and Sowah has no PL experience. Not what you would hope for in a team chasing 4th place.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

And so he should be. The boy is a very decent prospect. But the nature of your average Leicester fan won't be happy with this.

If we signed someone with similar stats to him for a few million quid, we'd be happy with it, but somehow because he's already ours and come back from loan, many will see it as underwhelming.

Sowah on the right, Barnes on the left and our attacking play will be very pacey and direct 

Plenty of people are very excited for the return of Sowah, like they are with the return of KDH. Yet getting another central midfielder was a bigger priority than getting a winger in? People also don't want to put all their hopes and expectations on a 21 year old with 1 seasons experience in a decent league. I'm confident he will make an impact bit I'm not so sure he is going to play 30+ league games and dominate like we hope to have from a right winger.

8 minutes ago, teblin said:

sowah

perez

ricardo

daka?

....just one of those players could loosely be classed as a Right Winger!!!

Sowah ~ has played the position, likes to drift inside.

Perez ~ not his normal position and has not the instinct , pace or ability to play this role.

Ricardo ~ good going forward but only as part of his Right Back duties, hasn't the mindset for the role.

Daka ~ stated that he is a Striker, better in a wo upfront, no reason why he should be included in this list.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can you give me answers to the 2 following scenarios on how you configure our attack without signing a right winger that is the calibre of player we require.

1) with our entire squad available what system and personnel do you deploy. I don't need the XI just the system and the midfield and attack.

This is a point I argued about who we need to sign, when Barnes wasn't available we almost always started with 5 atb so we have no back up for Barnes. No Barnes last season meant 5 atb

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The second point is key for me there. It is good to have perez, sowah and Albrighton as options but it puts such a pressure on barnes to deliver and we have to change so much when he is unavailable. Basically we are going to need him to play 50+ games, play through knocks etc which could have a negative impact on his performances towards the end of the season. Hopefully sowah steps up but that is such a risk for a young lad in his first year in the premier league. 

I am sure we will get a winger as prices drop towards the end of the window, especially from abroad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Plenty of people are very excited for the return of Sowah, like they are with the return of KDH. Yet getting another central midfielder was a bigger priority than getting a winger in? People also don't want to put all their hopes and expectations on a 21 year old with 1 seasons experience in a decent league. I'm confident he will make an impact bit I'm not so sure he is going to play 30+ league games and dominate like we hope to have from a right winger.

Who says it was, just because we brought Soumare doesn't mean its a bigger priority?

The club are working on muliptule deals at once, we can't just put them on hold until we have a RW.

If they come out an say we didn't buy a RW because we spent all our money on Daka and Soumare that's different.

I just don't think they are willing to pay over the odds for someone.

It's a buyers market we have to play the long game 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

And we’re not signing a Mane or Son. They cost £60m+ a piece and want to play for the bigger clubs. Clubs like us can’t attract a wide forward who gets 20+ goal contributions and puts in the hard yards.

There are some totally ridiculous levels of expectations behind this mystery right winger that a lot of people on here are demanding. 

...it is strange that you chose to look at what I was saying and decided to go down this route!!!

No one is saying go and get these players. The fact that we can bring in players from League One if we have to, who meets the criteria of hard work along with ability is the request. 

Your inference is that you would choose to call Mane and Son flair players, I am saying they graft as much as the £15m player in the Championship does. If you have to equate flair with no substance then take a look at Ozil.

Many fans seem to think we’ll simply revert back to 4-2-3-1, I wouldn’t be surprised if we stay flexible, Iheanacho’s form threw a spanner in the works last season, with Daka now in as well, it wouldn’t surprise me if we opt for two up front again or push Iheanacho or Daka out on the right.

I just don’t see us signing a top quality right winger, if we are to sign somebody, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are similar and an upgrade on Perez, a type of player who will give us flexibility, with the ability of playing on the wing, attacking midfield and possibly up front.

Pereira or Madueke would make the most sense.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

And 2 seasons ago Barnes wasn't going to be that player. But we found ourselves in a situation where we were literally lost without him last season.

We are still, unfortunately, a club that has to be careful with our budget. This could be (hopefully) the 1st summer we make it through without one of our "star names" making it through the exit door. 

For what it's worth I'm fully behind you and many others, crying out for a right winger with a left foot. But as it stands, our squad it in much better shape than it was 12 months ago. You rightly argue that our lack of depth in attacking areas cost us, which made us change shape. But it was not having the players to fully adapt to that shape that cost us. With the signings made, so far, we've strengthened if we go 4-3-3, 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 without a new winger the only formation we haven't strengthened is 4-2-3-1.

I'd like 2 more signings, a right winger and a centre back. If we're done in the transfer market then we're done. If we sign 1 more player, then personally, with the players we have available, I hope it's a centre back because we're desperately short in that area, unless Benkovic has reinforced his entire body.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I didn’t call them flair players, I called them £60m+ players. What I think is that if we were signing a right winger we would have to take a chance on someone like Gray, Under, Diabate or Ghezzal again - all of whom are talented, flair players but don’t have the end product or the graft going the other way that you mention.  

I’m not the one jumping from A to Z. 

...so what do you cast Matheus Pereira as!!!

31 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Either 3412 or 4312 

Timmy/Ricky

Youri 

Ndidi 

Thomas/Bertrand 

Maddison/Perez/Barnes

Kel 

Vardy/Daka/Barnes 

Youri 

Ndidi 

Soumare/KDH

Maddison/Perez/Barnes 

Kel 

Vardy/Daka/Barnes 

Great.

In a 3 at the back we don't have a a left wing back that's good enough to play that role and Maddison has not had a SINGLE decent game for us in that system. Perez flopped massively playing behind the strikers too, supposedly in his best position.

4-3-1-2 might be better, it would require Maddison to have a positive impact though which he seems to struggle to when not in the space off the main striker. Hopefully this can be fine tuned otherwise as I've argued to high heaven, we don't have any alternatives to our best system when Barnes is injured and why it is essential we get another winger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, messerschmitt said:

I've learned not to use pre season games to judge players at all, Perez looked excellent when he played his first pre season games

I second this. I remember going to Notts County in pre season and watched Johnny Evans get turned and done for pace by John bloomin Stead.

I remember sitting there thinking to myself why the hell have we bought this donkey and its no wonder WBA let him go for so little

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....just one of those players could loosely be classed as a Right Winger!!!

Sowah ~ has played the position, likes to drift inside.

Perez ~ not his normal position and has not the instinct , pace or ability to play this role.

Ricardo ~ good going forward but only as part of his Right Back duties, hasn't the mindset for the role.

Daka ~ stated that he is a Striker, better in a wo upfront, no reason why he should be included in this list.

Ricardo started as a winger if memory serves me correctly. 

but I was just playing devils advocate, it’s not ideal. But no where no as a horrific situation as some make out.

id argue it’s not that position that cost us last season(if you can call 5th and the FA Cup costing us) it’s the lack of physical presence when wilf is out or he has to stand in for a CB.