Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

36 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Who says it was, just because we brought Soumare doesn't mean its a bigger priority?

The club are working on muliptule deals at once, we can't just put them on hold until we have a RW.

If they come out an say we didn't buy a RW because we spent all our money on Daka and Soumare that's different.

I just don't think they are willing to pay over the odds for someone.

It's a buyers market we have to play the long game 

Well plenty are speculating we can't bring a right winger in without raising significant funds so that's likely to be the case then?

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Either 3412 or 4312 

Timmy/Ricky

Youri 

Ndidi 

Thomas/Bertrand 

Maddison/Perez/Barnes

Kel 

Vardy/Daka/Barnes 

Youri 

Ndidi 

Soumare/KDH

Maddison/Perez/Barnes 

Kel 

Vardy/Daka/Barnes 

The problem I think we'll face with a back 3 is that a) We don't have enough defenders should injuries occur, b) We need more width and the main expectation for goal chances will end up coming from the full backs in assists. It's better than what we had last year as we have more strength in CM with Soumare and KDH which will help with stopping conceding goals and strengthening defence.

3 at the back;

Schmeichel 

Fofana/Evans/Cags

Castagne/Soumare/Tielemans/Bertrand

Maddison 

Daka/Vardy 

4 at the back;

Schmeichel 

Castagne/Fofana/Evans/Bertrand 

Ndidi 

RP/Soumare/Tielemans/Barnes

Vardy or Daka

4 at the back is a lot better and more compact than what we can field as a back 3. The same applies though and for a top 6 team we don't have a recognised right winger. RP isn't the answer and If Castagne is needed to cover for Thomas or JJ at LB then RP will be back in his natural RB position. 

3 at the back would be perfect.

At the moment we seem to be trying to fill in for the RW position whether it's Maddison opposite Barnes, or Perez opposite Barnes. It isn't a situation that can be fixed for example say we stick Maddison out wide then what? He loses the ball tracking back (which he can often to) and the opposition are flooding the spaces behind and we've seen all to often that once they've got through Ndidi the defence looks shaky. That applies exactly to Perez. Wingers are there for a reason, to go forward and track back quickly. How ofter on the right wing did perez do that or anyone else for that matter. Barnes has always, and Thomas has made last gasp yellow card tackles before conceding surefire goals. 

For a top 6 club we need a winger, we can't afford for those areas behind RW into CM to become saturated any longer and having opposition players break through. It was one way traffic through CM from RW as opposed to LW through CM. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....it becomes a diamond, with two up top!!!

Its wing backs again then. In the end that is probably what will happen , with Justin and Pereira as wing backs. Castagne,and Fofana will be benched and Barnes and Daka will rotate with Vardy and Iheanacho.

20 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

We are going to struggle to put Maddison, Tielemans, Ndidi and Soumaré into the same midfield and we can no longer play with one striker so where a winger fits in I have no idea.

Don't think the plan is to play them all at the same time! Though it could work with N'didi at the base and Madison at the top of the diamond. 

Barnes would have to be shoe horned into the team too along with a striker.

4-1-3-1-1 formation?

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Don't think the plan is to play them all at the same time! Though it could work with N'didi at the base and Madison at the top of the diamond. 

4-1-3-1-1 formation?

I don't expect Vardy,Iheanacho, Daka and probably Barnes to do the full 90 mins. this season. Rodgers will switch them around to keep them fresh and present the opposition with differing problems. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Well plenty are speculating we can't bring a right winger in without raising significant funds so that's likely to be the case then?

Key word, no one knows.

I think it more we will not pay over the odd, like when Celtic want to much for Eduardo

21 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

4-1-3-1-1 formation?

...Barnes does not have to be!!!

It is all about horses for courses, there are times when you do not have to have Barnes playing two games in five days when the opposition is a European Leg.

50 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

We are going to struggle to put Maddison, Tielemans, Ndidi and Soumaré into the same midfield and we can no longer play with one striker so where a winger fits in I have no idea.

I would imagine Rodgers is not going to be one dimensional and stick to a formation that just requires one set up.

Some games he will play wingers and some games he won’t.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Key word, no one knows.

I think it more we will not pay over the odd, like when Celtic want to much for Eduardo

Quality costs money and there is no escaping that, however the club will not want to make another catastrophic mistake like Perez , so they will be very cautious.

• Like 1

I believe this right winger position is the final piece in the jigsaw. We simply have to get the right guy in for this role. Bailey looks really good but Villa seem to be really hot on him and will probably throw more money at his club this week to seal the deal unless we are serious enough to meet the asking price of 30 mill. we might end up with Perreira. My fear is if we leave it late it turns into a bidding war or we end up with nothing. Can't risk expensive duds either and the loan move for this position is a crap shoot as we've learnt already. I've some sympathy for our recruiting dept. they have the golden noose of mahrez still wrapped around their neck. Oh not sure if this is BS (probably) man city may consider Mahrez in a swap deal sweetener + cash with spuds to get Kane. I can only imagine airport lounges are starting to fill up inside Mahrez's head if he's heard this rumour lol. 

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Disagree on the 3 at the back. This could be the year Thomas explodes and Bertrand is more than capable, as is Castagne also, but we all know he is better on the right. Furthermore, Sowah is also able to play there, but would be very surprised to see that. 

Perez didn’t “flop massively” in the number 10 role in the 3412 either. 

With regard to Maddison, I don’t think he was underperforming due to the system but more due to the niggling injury, hopefully a good pre season and that will be resolved. 

Thomas is quality but the one thing you have to have as a wing back us explosive pace. Not all good full backs can play as well as a wing back. Thomas and Barnes last season were such a handful together, Thomas is so intelligent on the ball but he needs that help down the flank.

Castagne, Justin and Ricardo are a bit more suited to being a wing back.

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Yeah probably true for the immediate future, but I’m sure as he develops he’ll become a decent wing back, if you look at the likes of Shaw and Trippier, both did well at wing back in the Euros and that was more down to timing of their runs and quality of delivery rather than explosive pace, but having that speed certainly does help in the wing back position. 

Like you say, his link up with Barnes is impressive, so might work in a 343 with him and Barnes linking up down that flank. 

I don't think Thomas would make a good wing back. It isn't just his pace but he needs that forward thinking Flair and ability and I'm not sure he has that. Speed is no.1 but like what Ric said, wing backs need explosive power because there is no safe haven behind them, only opposition runners who have caught you napping and we had too much of that last year. 

Numbers wise we couldn't add Barnes as a natural winger into a 3 at the back system so he'd have to be considered as a striking option operating in between the flanks and the middle of the park. 

Castagna has been known to play RWB & LWB so he could in theory help out if needed along with Bertrand on the left.

This all boils down to playing a 3 at the back with a RW playing off of right mid. With the pace and running when defending in a back 3 formation the winger for me is the trickiest buy.

Edited by UHDrive
Factual

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

I don't think Thomas would make a good wing back. It isn't just his pace but he needs that forward thinking Flair and ability and I'm not sure he has that. Speed is no.1 but like what Ric said, wing backs need explosive power because there is no safe haven behind them, only opposition runners who have caught you napping and we had too much of that last year. 

Numbers wise we couldn't add Barnes as a natural winger into a 3 at the back system so he'd have to be considered as a striking option operating in between the flanks and the middle of the park. 

Castagna has been known to play RWB & LWB so he could in theory help out if needed along with Bertrand on the left.

This all boils down to playing a 3 at the back with a RW playing off of right mid. With the pace and running when defending in a back 3 formation the winger for me is the trickiest buy.

...do we need to play a back 3 for this to happen!!!

No reason why Thomas cannot link with Barnes in a 4-3-3.

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...do we need to play a back 3 for this to happen!!!

No reason why Thomas cannot link with Barnes in a 4-3-3.

I've already covered that earlier today in this thread mr wizzard 😉

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Good article in the Mercury by Jordan Blackwell that demonstrates we need to sell players or trim the squad before we get anyone in. Currently we have 34 players to choose from.

Sounds like it may be a toss up between Sowah or a new winger and Amartey or a new defender.

10 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Good article in the Mercury by Jordan Blackwell that demonstrates we need to sell players or trim the squad before we get anyone in. Currently we have 34 players to choose from.

Sounds like it may be a toss up between Sowah or a new winger and Amartey or a new defender.

It is a good article except for the complete conjecture that Rodgers will name 2 under 21 players as part of his 25 man squad essentially opting against using 2 more, I'd be surprised if he does that in an AFCON year. We need to move at least 3 or 4 on which he describes (Hamza or Mendy, Praet, Amartey or Benkovic, Ghezzal, Iversen on loan + some academy youngsters).

The real issue is the EL squad, there'll be some big decisions to make.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It is a good article except for the complete conjecture that Rodgers will name 2 under 21 players as part of his 25 man squad essentially opting against using 2 more, I'd be surprised if he does that in an AFCON year. We need to move at least 3 or 4 on which he describes (Hamza or Mendy, Praet, Amartey or Benkovic, Ghezzal, Iversen on loan + some academy youngsters).

The real issue is the EL squad, there'll be some big decisions to make.

Theyre are still 27 players in his squad. Either way the same point stands.

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Theyre are still 27 players in his squad. Either way the same point stands.

Kasper, Ward, Jak

Perreira, Castagne, Justin, Amartey, Cags, Evans, Bertrand

Youri, Madders, Albrighton, Barnes, Choudhury, Mendy, Praet, Soumare, Ndidi, KDH

Vardy, Kelechi, Ayoze, Daka, Sowah.

These are the only players that appear to have a realistic chance of getting registered for the prem squad, that need to be registered. thats 25. who are the other 2 youre thinking of?

Guest Chocolate Teapot
8 minutes ago, JamesfromlondonLCFC said:

Kasper, Ward, Jak

Perreira, Castagne, Justin, Amartey, Cags, Evans, Bertrand

Youri, Madders, Albrighton, Barnes, Choudhury, Mendy, Praet, Soumare, Ndidi, KDH

Vardy, Kelechi, Ayoze, Daka, Sowah.

These are the only players that appear to have a realistic chance of getting registered for the prem squad, that need to be registered. thats 25. who are the other 2 youre thinking of?

That's what I meant 25 + Fofana and Thomas. So still at our limit currently unless we sell or if we leave out a first team player earning 40k plus a week.....

Under 21's don't need to be named in the 25 man squad. For last season, Premier League website says this

For the 2020/21 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 1999.

So I assume for this season, it's 1st Jan 2000 as the cutoff. Wikipedia has the following birthdays:

Fofana: 17/12/2000

Thomas: 10/06/2001

Sowah: 09/01/2000 (just sneaks in)

So none of those 3 would need registering.

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

That's what I meant 25 + Fofana and Thomas. So still at our limit currently unless we sell or if we leave out a first team player earning 40k plus a week.....

oooh that makes sense. apologies i misread. tbf, im almost certain at least one of Praet, Mendy and Choudhury will leave. probably 2. we do have 8 centre mids for some reason. 

Just now, orangecity23 said:

Under 21's don't need to be named in the 25 man squad. For last season, Premier League website says this

So I assume for this season, it's 1st Jan 2000 as the cutoff. Wikipedia has the following birthdays:

Fofana: 17/12/2000

Thomas: 10/06/2001

Sowah: 09/01/2000 (just sneaks in)

So none of those 3 would need registering.

wait are you sure Sowah avoids needing to be registered?