Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That it's not a huge problem that needs rectifying. It should have been the number one priority along with a new striker.

I never said it not a huge problem.

The issue is we are always fire fight as we are always a player short as we jut don't have the budget.

It's easy to think Soumare is a luxury, but I've got a feeling that was done with a view there is or was a chance we lose Youri.

Ideal we need a RW and CB before the window closes. 

Just now, coolhandfox said:

The issue is we are always fire fight as we are always a player short as we jut don't have the budget.

It's easy to think Soumare is a luxury, but I've got a feeling that was done with a view there is or was a chance we lose Youri.

I disagree with Soumare. I think it has been done to add strength and depth. 

Youri was the only real creativity we had centrally, but now we have two. 

Just now, Pliskin said:

I disagree with Soumare. I think it has been done to add strength and depth. 

Youri was the only real creativity we had centrally, but now we have two. 

The issue is we needed a LB, CB, CM, CF, RW.

Just playing devils advocate, looking a KDH could we have used the soumare money elsewhere.

The issue is we alway seem to be 1 player short as we are always on the limit money wise.

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

None of Daka, Vardy or Nacho have played as those winger roles for more than 10 games in their entire careers

They may drift that way from their main position as a central striker, but it is completely different having to operate in that position as a main role

...Vardy started with us playing wide!!!

He is more than capable of playing in a wider role supporting the striker. If we had another player out wide who could supply as well as Vardy we would be in a better position. 

With the example that have been proffered,surely they would be a narrow set up, as opposed to players playing wide.

Agree that RW should’ve been the biggest priority this year. Been the most obvious weakness in our starting XI for the last couple of seasons.

Wonder if part of the reason for Soumaré and Daka was with one eye on Kel and Ndidi and to a lesser extent Mendy having AFCON this year. As well as the obvious, Vardy slowing down and providing more squad depth/ potential Youri replacement at some point etc 

With no obvious links to a RW doesn’t mean we won’t get one of course. But along the lines of creative formations wonder if we’ll see more of a creative/ lopsided line up. 

ie. Bertrand/ Thomas behind Barnes on the left. With a more attacking full back (Ricardo/ Castagne) providing the width on the right with Maddison/ Kelechi tucking in as an inside Right forward with a midfield trio of Soumaré, Youri and Ndidi. No clue how it would work and Maddison has looked lost when played out wide previously. But when defending Maddison/ Iheanacho tuck in the 10 position and Soumaré covers across to support the RB. Although a more natural RW seems the most logical solution to all this and keeping square pegs in square holes.

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Vardy started with us playing wide!!!

He is more than capable of playing in a wider role supporting the striker. If we had another player out wide who could supply as well as Vardy we would be in a better position. 

With the example that have been proffered,surely they would be a narrow set up, as opposed to players playing wide.

He may have played wide for us a few times but not often enough to say he could be capable playing there regularly

Vast majority of his appearances for us in the Championship were as part of a 2 man partnership with Nugent, then he had a few appearances in the great escape season as a left winger, he is a central striker who drifts wide, not the opposite

I mentioned this before but a narrow set up would suck as all 3 players excel when able to play into space and in the box, you start using the wing backs for width and bringing the wide forwards in it starts to become cramped especially when none of our forwards (except possibly Nacho) are particularly the best at dropping back and playing on the edge of the box, completely nullifies what Daka and Vardy are good at

Edited by moore_94

Going into this transfer window BR was confident of getting 5 players. We have been especially light on CB's, strikers and a Right Winger. I'm glad we've strengthened in CM, but I personally think that that was the wrong decision. We should've used those funds for a RW.

That said I do believe there is money to spend. BR is well known to tell it how it is if we have no transfer funds left so for him to leave that comment open ended tells me that there is enough for a RW, but that we need to start shifting players on quickly. 

If we don't get a RW then we must keep Praet. I'd rather have a combo of Praet at CRM and RP as our RW than Perez. And for peice of mind so that Perez doesn't even feel a blade of grass on the pitch for us then play Maddison at No.10.

23 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I wasn't specifically targeting you when I said fans want to argue it. There's been quite a few on here who don't think we need one as a priority!!! 

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Liverpool are a team who do not stick to a rigid pattern up front although Firmino usually stays central . Salah, Mané  and Jota will combine with Robertson and TAA in wide positions but are usually found on the edge of the box. If Vardy remains our central striker, Barnes , Daka and Iheanacho can do something similar with Pereira and Bertrand. They will score their goals in central positions usually and need to get into the box as often as possible. Too often in the past Vardy has been isolated and now  he has lost a little pace he needs support from the others.

There was me thinking that it was Vardy's job to be isolated 🤔

Maybe Rachid Ghezzal is genuinely the winger. I mean I know people joked about earlier on but it might not be that crazy. He looked very likely to be shipped back to Turkey but instead has had a full preseason. He had a brilliant year last year, 8 goals and 17 assists in 31 games is unbelievable even if it is only the Super Lig. Strong possibility that Brendan has seen something in him and has decided to give him another go rather than risking spending a load of money on someone who doesn't work out. Not sure personally if it's a good idea, but just my latest theory!

Edited by peach0000
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would you rather the right side as

• Perez
  • Ricardo

Or

• Ricardo
  • Castagne

And, no, don’t change the options please?  lol

These aren't the only options though are they? 

Personally, if we play a formation that needs a wide man I'd have Marc in front of Ricky. But I'd suggest the formation that suits our current options best is a diamond, with 2 strikers. Means we struggle to fit Barnes in sadly unless he's an option in the front 2.

16 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Maybe Rachid Ghezzal is genuinely the winger. I mean I know people joked about earlier on but it might not be that crazy. He looked very likely to be shipped back to Turkey but instead has had a full preseason. He had a brilliant year last year, 8 goals and 17 assists in 31 games is unbelievable even if it is only the Super Lig. Strong possibility that Brendan has seen something in him and has decided to give him another go rather than risking spending a load of money on someone who doesn't work out. Not sure personally if it's a good idea, but just my latest theory!

Technically brilliant but I think his lack of strength and pace limits him in the PL, but if he does stay then I'd be willing to see if he could adapt here in his final year. Can't be much worse than AP17.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Technically brilliant but I think his lack of strength and pace limits him in the PL, but if he does stay then I'd be willing to see if he could adapt here in his final year. Can't be much worse than AP17.

I wouldn't be against giving him a chance. He was pretty shocking a couple of years ago but people develop at different times and he seems to of taken a big step up last season. Also I may be wrong but this might of been the first time Rogers has got to work with him. May well have seen something in him, we know Brendan likes a project after all.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Honestly? He’d make Ünder look good, and Perez look magnificent, 

He’s nowhere near suited to the game in the PL…

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

...watching him in his last game, he was afraid to get involved, he lacks courage and shies away in open paly!!!

Very much a player who appears unwilling or unable to handle the Premiership and lacks the courage to try!!!

Edited by sacreblueits442

They don't even really have to score goals, as long as they can beat their man and play creatively without losing the ball overly much it would be a big improvement. Someone like Saint-Maximin (obviously not worth signing from Newcastle because of how much he would cost) who doesn't really score much would still be a big help

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

They don't even really have to score goals, as long as they can beat their man and play creatively without losing the ball overly much it would be a big improvement. Someone like Saint-Maximin (obviously not worth signing from Newcastle because of how much he would cost) who doesn't really score much would still be a big help

This. 

If Barnes is gonna chip in, Vardy, Daka and Iheanacho are all going to score, Madders and Tielemans are going to contribute from the middle then we've got goals in the side. 

What we lack is creativity. We need a bit of X factor to help break things down, a bit of either devastating pace, genuine trickery or some extremely good footballing vision. 

Currently nothing out of the ordinary comes from our right. Albrighton and Perez are both extremely predictable in different ways. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

I think if Brendan was going to use Ghezzal he would've played some part yesterday. He was one of only 1 or 2 who didn't get off the bench wasn't he? Transfer must be close. 

I'm just hoping that he's played Ghezzal in terms of one of the team formations we may use i.e a left footed right winger. 

Ghezzal's the strangest winger I've seen as his nature instinct is to either go sideways or backwards. 

Gerrimout ASAP

I think Kamal Sowah is the available option, he won't start too often but carefully handled he could be making a real impact by the end of the season.All the other options are expensive and there is no sign we want to spend the money.

I’m sure we’ll just buy a fantastic traditional winger after I argue all this but whatever. I reckon we won’t buy one and we’ll do this:

Attacking formation against weak teams:

Barnes Daka Ian

Thms Tiele Madd Ric

Soy Ndidi Fofa

Kasper

Against alright teams I think we’ll swap Maddison for Soumare. And take off a forward, bring on Marc and revert to 4141 if it’s really not working.

Formation against stronger teams:

Daka

Barnes Tiele Madd Marc

Ndidi

Bert Soy Fofa Ric

Players rotated/changed with Vardy, KDH, Evans, Justin, etc, etc.

So essentially a 433 with Ndidi dropping back and wing backs bombing forwards. Or 4141.