Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

33 minutes ago, enmac said:

Brennan Johnson, anybody? Forest player, who impressed me in play off final, on loan with Lincoln City. Can play either wing and seems to have a good end product. 

Brennan Johnson contract talks stall but Forest and player keen to strike deal - The Athletic

Sounds like he might sign a new deal. Need to gerrimin asap before he destroys the championship and is worth 25million+ next summer. 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shane said:

Brennan Johnson contract talks stall but Forest and player keen to strike deal - The Athletic

Sounds like he might sign a new deal. Need to gerrimin asap before he destroys the championship and is worth 25million+ next summer. 

He does look like he's destined for a very good season and will be one of the hottest properties then. Not sure he immateditely makes us any better though and we have Sowah and Maswhanise who are hugely talented here to bring through.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Matheus Pereira was a creative play maker of an attacking midfielder, in the mould of Mahrez but was better as a 10 than Mahrez. 

The point I was making is, the type of player we need will likely be classed as a winger by name but the type of player that comes under that position has completely changed. We want a left footed player to play wide right who can press well, defend and be creative in terms of goals and assists. 

I think we may buy an attacker who can play on the right and gets out of the way of the full back rather than deeming the right wing as his. I’m not sure if this fills the definition of an inverted winger tbh.

Nonetheless it seems clear Bren wants that kind of player that lets the full backs maraud freely. And if we can find an attacking forward that not only gets out the way of the wing back, but also intercepts the ball, all the better. And that’s why Bren loves Perez.

When Ricardo shines this season the reason he’s been allowed to shine in attack will be Perez. He’s Shinji for me: doing an unconventional and dirty job for the rest of team.

Hard truths for this season: 1) we ain’t buying a winger 2) Perez will be an essential part of the first team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, enmac said:

Brennan Johnson, anybody? Forest player, who impressed me in play off final, on loan with Lincoln City. Can play either wing and seems to have a good end product. 

Yes please. Thought of as a big prospect in these parts. Son of David Johnson. Assist for Forests goal at Cov at the weekend 

Edited by FoxinNotts
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I think we may buy an attacker who can play on the right and gets out of the way of the full back rather than deeming the right wing as his. I’m not sure if this fills the definition of an inverted winger tbh.

Nonetheless it seems clear Bren wants that kind of player that lets the full backs maraud freely. And if we can find an attacking forward that not only gets out the way of the wing back, but also intercepts the ball, all the better. And that’s why Bren loves Perez.

When Ricardo shines this season the reason he’s been allowed to shine in attack will be Perez. He’s Shinji for me: doing an unconventional and dirty job for the rest of team.

Hard truths for this season: 1) we ain’t buying a winger 2) Perez will be an essential part of the first team.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

If Rodgers was happy with the Ricardo and Perez partnership then the club wouldn't have been willing to part with £40m for Trincao like they offered by a way of a 2 year loan + £40m at the end of it for a permanent deal.

Now before you say that was perhaps because Ricardo was out for several months then let's just have a think about how this club is ran. It doesn't do reactive amd expensive short term fixes.

What we do know is Rodgers demands goals and assists from the 3 attacking and creative players he deploys behind the central striker. He didn't sign Perez to run about and provide a foil for Ricardo whose goals and assists whilst good for a full back aren't up there with the best wingers and fully understandable. Therefore this assumption that Rodgers would turn a blind eye to Perez's failure at providing goals is folly. It also was quite telling when Barnes got injured and also Maddison just how bad Perez and others in such positions were at bringing us goals and it cost us.

Whether we have the money this summer to get an upgrade on Perez remains to be seen. Maybe Ayo can finally add some worth going forward or maybe we strike lucky with Sowah or Maswanhise but if not then there can be very little sympathy offered to us if we come undone again.

When Barnes and Maddison are fit and Ricardo or Castagne are on form then we can probably carry Perez bringing filth like 2 goals and 1 assist of a season but its pretty unnecessary when it's the obvious weak link and there's an argument Albrighton brings more but it's a much of a muchness I suppose between them pair when measuring against what Barnes brings. 

I'm equally as concerned about the lack of cover for Barnes, it's now become clear that we cannot play our most fluent and dangerous football without him and given our horror portfolio of injuries in the past and present what's the likelihood of more happening and Barnes being vulnerable again? It's really hard to stomach seeing us in the same situations time and time again when we are so good but for just a few tweaks and possibly having to push the finances a bit more.

• Like 3

The sort of player that would make a real difference to our wide attacking threat is always going to be desirable and expensive. Sancho has fetched over 70 million and if Barnes was for sale probably 60 million. We are not going to get a cheap deal. The club appears to not be in that market. We will have to look for answers with the players we have. Sowah seems to be our best hope and Rodgers needs to give him all the encouragement he can to bring him up to the standard we need.

43 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

The sort of player that would make a real difference to our wide attacking threat is always going to be desirable and expensive. Sancho has fetched over 70 million and if Barnes was for sale probably 60 million. We are not going to get a cheap deal. The club appears to not be in that market. We will have to look for answers with the players we have. Sowah seems to be our best hope and Rodgers needs to give him all the encouragement he can to bring him up to the standard we need.

Yeh I’m now consigned to feeling like we have who we have now. Had lil Wes not got injured something exciting could have happened. So no right winger happening and we continue with Perez. Deep sigh..,

8 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I agree he's probably the weakest player. But I don't think we're carrying him. I think his interception stats, defensive contribution and willingness to cut inside and get out of Ricardo's way is helping Ricardo break down defenses in a way that Barnes doesn't on the left. I believe this is why Bren prioritised other positions in the transfer market and continues to play Perez.

Matheus Pereira would have been near perfect in that role of course. Just not prepared to pay for him. The two Pereira's could have been a famous pairing. Oh well!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

.. a player who would have fetched £25-30m, went off to a league so far removed from a top league he previously excelled in!!!

An ideal candidate for the position we wanted so desperately to fill and we failed to pick him up.

We do not need to spend lavishly to improve a very weak part of the team.

11 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I agree he's probably the weakest player. But I don't think we're carrying him. I think his interception stats, defensive contribution and willingness to cut inside and get out of Ricardo's way is helping Ricardo break down defenses in a way that Barnes doesn't on the left. I believe this is why Bren prioritised other positions in the transfer market and continues to play Perez.

I agree that he's placed the priority of a right winger below the capture of a new striker and sadly our finances don't seem to allow us to pay a large fee for a right winger but Rodgers isn't happy with Perez, he knows that's the area to improve if possible. He tried to do it last summer and it failed, he told Perez to buck his ideas up and dropped him entirely from the squad. He hasn't improved his end product but in this system he plays a part but long term that won't be enough for Rodgers, at some point he will publicly namecheck Perez as not providing enough goals and assists, he's done it before and he'll do it again.

Perez may allow for Ricardo to overlap and get forward but it still produces significantly less amount of goals than Barnes will provide on his own and Bertrand or Thomas might produce less than Ricardo or Castagne will be it will still be more combined and those fine margins are what the club look at when trying to improve. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

Said it most of this window but really can't see a right winger coming in now. Perez, Albrighton and Sowah might not be enough for some in terms of goals and assist output but can't see us having 4 players for one position, especially when Ricardo and Castagne could also play there.

There's plenty of quality depth around the squad for us to be flexible in our choice of system if none of those 3 are in form so I think it's a centre back and we're done. 

You are comfortably odds on to be right, 1-6 probably.

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Said it most of this window but really can't see a right winger coming in now. Perez, Albrighton and Sowah might not be enough for some in terms of goals and assist output but can't see us having 4 players for one position, especially when Ricardo and Castagne could also play there.

Could be right, although we had 4/5 of those options last season and still got Under in. 

I actually think we will be looking for a winger who can play comfortably left or right wing as losing Barnes could be costly without a decent alternative on the left. 

Dan James is in that mould, but I know some would want better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Last year the inverted play was with Barnes and we'd inevitably have Tielemans to fill the role that perez does on the opposite side by pressing forward. Or maddison would drop inside left to support Barnes and tielemans in the final third. Thomas plays in the same way as Chillwell did by venturing up the field from fullback and transitioning effectively as a wingback, cutting inside Barnes and running to the byline for crosses into the box, at the same time being utilised as a left footed set peice taker.

On the right side at the minute we've been having Castagna (even though he's double footed) doing the traditional Thomas role with running down the flanks and either cutting inside or getting to the byline and whipping balls in with his right foot. We've got RP as a temp right winger and right footed playing as an right winger although he can't play as an inverted winger because he's not left footed. We've had on occasion Praet making play where the interchange of play happens with the fullbacks and wingbacks or usually Perez who takes the balls (but again he's right footed)

In recent years since mahrez we've conceded more goals in counter attacks from the right side than we have the left. We've shored up in RCM with Soumare and KDH so I think that will help immensely. 

But if you factor all of this in its simple: We don't have any left footed players on the right side in the squad that could make a massive difference to our final third play by moving the ball around.

Edited by UHDrive
Factual
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Matheus Pereira would have been near perfect in that role of course. Just not prepared to pay for him. The two Pereira's could have been a famous pairing. Oh well!

He wasn’t worth what they were reportedly asking for him.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Dreading Vestergaard being confirmed and then Rodgers being asked if there will be any further incoming, such as a new right winger and he says that's us done for the window.

If we sign Vestegaard for 15m + add ons we might have a few million left over to pay for a loan fee, or sign a young talent like Brennan Johnson. 

We need to sell fringe players like Praet & Hamza first though. 

• Like 1