Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

Tanner maintains we were in on the loan market only for a winger this summer, so if Vestergaard comes in in the next week or so we have the final 10-14 days to continue to have a look at loans.

Don't know if the club would stretch to loans with obligations because I think that's the only way we'd be able to bring in a Neres or similar. 

I've read Lazio were in for Josip Brekalo and Wolfsburg would be happy to let him go on loan with a €15m option. If we wanted Barnes cover to let Sowah go on loan I can see that sort of deal being one we'd look at.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jeffschlupp said:

Tanner maintains we were in on the loan market only for a winger this summer, so if Vestergaard comes in in the next week or so we have the final 10-14 days to continue to have a look at loans.

Don't know if the club would stretch to loans with obligations because I think that's the only way we'd be able to bring in a Neres or similar. 

I've read Lazio were in for Josip Brekalo and Wolfsburg would be happy to let him go on loan with a €15m option. If we wanted Barnes cover to let Sowah go on loan I can see that sort of deal being one we'd look at.

I'm not sure why we are taking this stance though. Either because we're waiting for a certain player to become available or develop (if one of our own) or because we are targeting next season as when we'll use a large chunk of our transfer budget for such a player, in which case loan with an obligation to buy would pretty much do that anyway.

Given FFP is relaxed is there much advantage to going for an obligation to buy next summer anyway, rather than take the hit now in the 2021/22 accounts?

All a bit of a mystery and I hope we don't rue how we've acted this summer around this blatant weakness, can't be much grounds for sympathy if Barnes gets another long lay off and/or we continue to produce the square root of fcuk all from the right.

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What obscure loanees are they?

Taking a player who is out of favour with his club , probably for good reasons, gets you another Under. If we can't afford the right player stick with what you have and know.

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not sure why we are taking this stance though. Either because we're waiting for a certain player to become available or develop (if one of our own) or because we are targeting next season as when we'll use a large chunk of our transfer budget for such a player, in which case loan with an obligation to buy would pretty much do that anyway.

Given FFP is relaxed is there much advantage to going for an obligation to buy next summer anyway, rather than take the hit now in the 2021/22 accounts?

All a bit of a mystery and I hope we don't rue how we've acted this summer around this blatant weakness, can't be much grounds for sympathy if Barnes gets another long lay off and/or we continue to produce the square root of fcuk all from the right.

I would hope that the explanation is that we are waiting for the right player to be available. I've said it before but the classic example was Jan 2017 - club could've had Acerbi or Hoedt but weren't 100% convinced on either, got a stopgap in the form of Wagué on loan, then got in early to sign their main target Maguire in the summer.

I just don't know who that winger they want is. Albrighton/Perez/Barnes and one more looks like what they'll settle with for the season, given they have 2 players in every other position plus a third keeper, striker and full-back. That makes 25.

Perhaps they think cover for Barnes in terms of raw pace is the more urgent and better use of funds - they have two system players (at best) in Pérez and Albrighton on the right. I dunno. RW will forever remain a mystery it seems

• Like 1

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

Taking a player who is out of favour with his club , probably for good reasons, gets you another Under. If we can't afford the right player stick with what you have and know.

No it doesn’t necessarily, it can get you a Tielemans lol

I’d like Sowah to be that player but I could only envisage the club saw his development was at most a squad player, the reason why there have been continued murmurings that the club are still after a player on the right. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I would hope that the explanation is that we are waiting for the right player to be available. I've said it before but the classic example was Jan 2017 - club could've had Acerbi or Hoedt but weren't 100% convinced on either, got a stopgap in the form of Wagué on loan, then got in early to sign their main target Maguire in the summer.

I just don't know who that winger they want is. Albrighton/Perez/Barnes and one more looks like what they'll settle with for the season, given they have 2 players in every other position plus a third keeper, striker and full-back. That makes 25.

Perhaps they think cover for Barnes in terms of raw pace is the more urgent and better use of funds - they have two system players (at best) in Pérez and Albrighton on the right. I dunno. RW will forever remain a mystery it seems

Yesh I don't know who it is either. We were convinced it was Trincao and therefore settled for Ünder where we could have a look at him before paying the £22m. To then see Trincao go on loan this summer with an OPTION to buy and we weren't thst club is pretty galling.

I'm genuinely none the wiser who it is, we've been linked with quite a lot of wingers and most of them have transferred clubs this summer. 

38 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yesh I don't know who it is either. We were convinced it was Trincao and therefore settled for Ünder where we could have a look at him before paying the £22m. To then see Trincao go on loan this summer with an OPTION to buy and we weren't thst club is pretty galling.

I'm genuinely none the wiser who it is, we've been linked with quite a lot of wingers and most of them have transferred clubs this summer. 

Missing out on Trincao was really frustrating, especially as it was the ideal type of deal.

Sadly, Mendes' connection with Wolves scuppered it for us. 

1 hour ago, lcfc_forever said:

Missing out on Trincao was really frustrating, especially as it was the ideal type of deal.

Sadly, Mendes' connection with Wolves scuppered it for us. 

Naw, Trincao will not prosper in the PL, dodged a bullet. He’ll have 2/3 good games in the league next season, no more.

I’ve been thinking, the prospect of a fit Castagne and Pereira could be a filthy combo.

Now about

On 07/08/2021 at 22:22, Babylon said:

Of course they do, the football club have to pay the loans back. The money they use to pay the loans back, could have been used on players wages, players fees or a 300ft statue of David Nugent chasing a squirrel.

How about a 300Ft Statue of the squirrel & with the the Dog, that G.Banks took out..

With Nugent & Banks, simulating the Currie-Birchenal smacker at the Bottom of the Plynth....:rolleyes:

Edited by fuchsntf

15 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Or it gets you an Albrighton.

I would be quite happy with Marc as our right side attacker , I expect he will play a big part this season. If Sowah starts to look good in training he should get his chance as well.  We all think the grass is greener , but unless you pay really big money it probably isn't.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

I would be quite happy with Marc as our right side attacker , I expect he will play a big part this season. If Sowah starts to look good in training he should get his chance as well.  We all think the grass is greener , but unless you pay really big money it probably isn't.

You are kidding aren't you? Towards the back end of last season Albrighton was struggling to finish games and struggling to track back. He most definitely shouldn't be first choice RW. I think RP will get that. I agree though that Albrighton will get a fair few games this season as always, Mr Dependable.

• Like 1

Looks like it will be a loan deal if we get anyone for the right-wing position. 

If not, it could well be Ricardo and Castagne teaming up on the right side, or Perez/Praet playing as inside forwards with either Ricardo and Castagne providing the width from full-back. 

Edited by lcfc_forever

I think CL was probably a pipe dream anyway, but without signing a wide attacker who can play on the right as an upgrade over who we have, I think you can forget about it.  It was our biggest need and despite a record net spend, we've done nothing to address it.

• Like 2