Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

On 12/08/2021 at 15:38, Finnegan said:

I definitely took it to mean we're still actively looking and someone almost certainly will come in. If it was more "probably not signing anyone, but could in extreme circumstances if we get lucky with a deal" he'd have said he was happy with the squad and wasn't expecting anything. By Rodgers and Leicester standards it was a pretty clear admission we're not finished.

I assume it'll be a right winger in and right now we'll have one or two potential loan options lined up and probably a couple of slightly better choices to pay for but we're likely to need to shift people on for the latter to happen.

I'm genuinely pretty surprised nobody (other than imminently Ghezzal) has gone at all yet really given how keen both Hamza and Praet seemed to be to go back in January, given we've ultimately got two more players in the first team squad ahead of them in their positions now as well. 

That looks to me that both Praet and Hamza have instructed their agents to find a club and not much interest. There have been hardly any news about them and Newcastle seem to have cooled on Hamza and looking elsewhere.

21 minutes ago, Gerard said:

That looks to me that both Praet and Hamza have instructed their agents to find a club and not much interest. There have been hardly any news about them and Newcastle seem to have cooled on Hamza and looking elsewhere.

Newcastle looked weak down the middle today. Outmuscled. Think Hamza would probably suit them. 

4 hours ago, Lichfieldfox. said:

Gray looked good yesterday.... But best bet would be Sarr from Watford

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I spent the summer ribbing my mate who’s a toffee fan, telling how shite he is, and he reckons he’s been tearing it up for them in pre-season and yesterday. 

Of course he looked good, he's got something to prove.

The moment he starts 2 or 3 games in a row he'll stop playing again like always. 

Gray looked great for us when he felt he had to fight his way into the squad, it was when he thought he'd made it in that he'd get complacent. 

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

Spends more time in an attacking role, at which he excels.

He may well do but there's a difference between pushing forwards into the space in front of him and starting in that space. Pretty much any decent team will have their full backs getting forwards but I doubt you'll see, for example, Andy Robertson starting as a left winger for Liverpool. It's the same logic as Ndidi does a lot of defending so let's put him at centre back and then he's nowhere near as effective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Verumex said:

Of course he looked good, he's got something to prove.

The moment he starts 2 or 3 games in a row he'll stop playing again like always. 

Gray looked great for us when he felt he had to fight his way into the squad, it was when he thought he'd made it in that he'd get complacent. 

Eventually he will get the right manager to keep him in this headspace for an extended period. I’m not sure he was managed that well with us tbh. The right type of man manager could probably turn him into a player.  

1 hour ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

If we fail to bring one in I’d go with Praet on the right ahead of Perez. 

Whoever plays on the right cuts infield anyway and his passing range is much better than AP. Remember him playing well there against Burnley last season at the KP. 

Praet isnt a winger. He's got good technical skills and is great in the right of CM but he's no use on the flanks 

Seeing Ricardo's skills on Saturday, I'm not to worried about this anymore, in the abscence of a RW, ricardo is as good as many wingers i've seen, playing him and castagne on the right with either thomas and barnes, or bertrand and barnes would be really decent.

• Like 1

But the player that plays there doesn't really need to be a winger. More an inside forward/playmaker. Ricardo has that whole wing to himself and only in the defensive phase does Perez push wide.

There are better players than Perez out there, sure. But I don't think Rodgers is looking for a right-sided Barnes as such, we need a different skill set. 

Playing Ricardo as a winger is a total loser mentality.  If you have a weakness, you bring in something to turn it into a strength.  You don't create two weaknesses by moving a player from his best position to one where he's nowhere near as good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we’ll see a lot of movement on deadline day, as we all know that half of the Spanish clubs need to shed finances. 

The likes of Braithwaite, Pjanic, Coutinho etc will be offloaded for a fraction of the asking price they’re after at the moment, as the fire sale / panic sets in. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Seeing Ricardo's skills on Saturday, I'm not to worried about this anymore, in the abscence of a RW, ricardo is as good as many wingers i've seen, playing him and castagne on the right with either thomas and barnes, or bertrand and barnes would be really decent.

Ricardo is at his best when he's running from deep and has time and space to get up to top speed. I've yet to see him play well when playing as a RW.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sly said:

I think we’ll see a lot of movement on deadline day, as we all know that half of the Spanish clubs need to shed finances. 

The likes of Braithwaite, Pjanic, Coutinho etc will be offloaded for a fraction of the asking price they’re after at the moment, as the fire sale / panic sets in. 

Not one of those players will go anywhere at all without their salaries being protected even if the fee is nominal. They have agents to make sure that does not happen. Gareth Bale had his wages heavily subsidized by his parent club. He is virtually impossible to transfer and will run his contract out.

10 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Playing Ricardo as a winger is a total loser mentality.  If you have a weakness, you bring in something to turn it into a strength.  You don't create two weaknesses by moving a player from his best position to one where he's nowhere near as good.

And that, for me, despite the injuries that we and other teams sustained, is why we failed to make top 4 from such a commanding position last season. 

• Like 1