Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

18 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Man City fans growing increasingly confident re. Grealish so I suppose this is his replacement for that wide role. With Buendia also coming in.

Would make sense, just hope we have an ace up our sleeves as we're short on wide quality as we stand

2 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Would make sense, just hope we have an ace up our sleeves as we're short on wide quality as we stand

Definitely. I think we definitely need one winger but i'd love to see us go for two. Currently only Albrighton, Barnes and Sowah.

• Like 1

The wide positions are arguably the hardest position out there to recruit for - wingers are by nature wildly inconsistent yet everyone wants one that will score 10 goals and 10 assists - they are few and far between, especially left footers.

The club are not going to go into September with a player as good as Barnes on the left and not someone quality on the other flank, IMO. Otherwise, very quickly BR is going to find himself restricted to playing someone one-dimensional (Albrighton, Perez), inexperienced (Sowah) or playing exclusively narrow systems and shoehorning one of his best players into a central position where he knows he's not as good.

He's set up as 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 at Burton - if he wanted to continue 3-4-1-2 he could've kept Nelson around rather than Daley-Campbell or Suengchitthawon, and played two back threes from Fofana/Soyuncu/Amartey/Benkovic/Nelson/Bertrand.

If he wanted to play a diamond, he'd have tried that too.

And for me they have not spent £40m (in fees alone) and probably ~200-250k a week wages on three players in other positions if they knew they wouldn't have money left for a winger. I think all of us would've rather we went into the season with Thomas/Castagne/Ricardo/Daley-Campbell/Flynn at full-back, or kept our current midfield options, or settled with Vardy and Iheanacho, if it meant we'd got a right winger in over the three players we have brought in.

It will come, but they will take their time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NasPb said:

Most underrated option would be Churchill! Cheap too! 

1 hour ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Would make a good back-up insurance policy for Albrighton

He would be the dogs bollox for us.

36 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Deadline day I reckon. Seems to be a few chains of events to unfold yet 

The Under deal was done really late in the day last time round, so it will probably be the same this time round. For me it's telling that the 3 signings we've made so far were brought in very early and in time for pre-season. Many teams in the league haven't made any signings yet, and we already had those 3 done and dusted before some players have even returned.

So another case of loan with option to buy for [Insert Winger Name Here] seems likely. 

The position is hard to recruit for. Probably the best ones have been Riyad Mahrez and Ferran Torres in recent years. Hakim Ziyech and Nicolas Pepe have been high profile flops (though might come good). There's a reason why Man U spent over 70m on Jadon Sancho, that's how much it costs to get a top class attacking winger / forward. 

I think the position is considered a "nice to have" rather than essential to the club, even if we think otherwise.

Edited by StriderHiryu

Guest Chocolate Teapot
56 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There isn't a huge pool of players that will be available to us in this position the longer this rumbles on, I really hope the club know what they are doing. 

Or does it get bigger as a result of man City signing grealish and man utd signing varane.

Some big books to be balanced.

Arsenal, man utd and man City are going to spend big money.

14 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Or does it get bigger as a result of man City signing grealish and man utd signing varane.

It’s almost as if they actually got the £300mill from the ESL and have refused to give it back !

29 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

The Under deal was done really late in the day last time round, so it will probably be the same this time round. For me it's telling that the 3 signings we've made so far were brought in very early and in time for pre-season. Many teams in the league haven't made any signings yet, and we already had those 3 done and dusted before some players have even returned.

So another case of loan with option to buy for [Insert Winger Name Here] seems likely. 

The position is hard to recruit for. Probably the best ones have been Riyad Mahrez and Ferran Torres in recent years. Hakim Ziyech and Nicolas Pepe have been high profile flops (though might come good). There's a reason why Man U spent over 70m on Jadon Sancho, that's how much it costs to get a top class attacking winger / forward. 

I think the position is considered a "nice to have" rather than essential to the club, even if we think otherwise.

That’s exactly my thinking - player(s) we’re targeting might come off might not, but ultimately club probably feels we can go into the season without desperately recruiting a RW. We coped last season without one pretty much and we’ve only improved if anything this summer… 

Barnes Vardy Daka like the Liverpool front three wouldn’t be exactly bad 

• Like 1

If it's the right guy than I don't mind it being later than sooner but seeing all the names that have popped up under the son damn! didn't realize there are so many wingers out there! but how many are consistently good? we don't want another Ghezzal, Under situation. It's a dynamic position and the formation is only as good as the player that plays in it otherwise it becomes pointless and even damaging. If we get the right guy I will give more credit to the scouting team than for any other player so far as this is incredibly difficult. We got a little lucky with Mahrez as they don't all polish into diamonds like him.

17 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Who at Man City would come here from that position? Mahrez wouldn't come back, I'd take Cole Palmer for sure!

Man Utd don't have any left footed right wingers we'd want, and Dan James is not going to get the pulse racing with the Leicester City faithful.

Villa signing Bailey will piss many off.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Who at Man City would come here from that position? Mahrez wouldn't come back, I'd take Cole Palmer for sure!

Man Utd don't have any left footed right wingers we'd want, and Dan James is not going to get the pulse racing with the Leicester City faithful.

Villa signing Bailey will piss many off.

Bailey would cost 40m. Not a chance we'd pay that.

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

That’s exactly my thinking - player(s) we’re targeting might come off might not, but ultimately club probably feels we can go into the season without desperately recruiting a RW. We coped last season without one pretty much and we’ve only improved if anything this summer… 

Yet it was arguably the position that cost us in the end as we've one of the worst selection of wingers in the league and as soon as Barnes was out we were in the shit. Iheanacho tried to get us over the line single handedly but truth be told we are such a delicately poised team that when we have our key players in key positions available we are one of the best but we've little alternative in key positions and it's unforgivable to neglect it.

• Like 1

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

Bailey would cost 40m. Not a chance we'd pay that.

I'm sure we wouldn't, we're in a situation where we need a reliable winger for a modest fee. I'd be able to sort it but I'm not so sure the club have the same obsession.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot

I'm sure we wouldn't, we're in a situation where we need a reliable winger for a modest fee. I'd be able to sort it but I'm not so sure the club have the same obsession.

They definitely do want a winger.

What they don't have is an endless pot of money. Additionally we have 33 first team players currently.

Players will start to become available. Lots of players are still on holiday at the moment. But we do need to trim the squad a bit.

I keep coming back to Matheus Pereira as the most attainable choice. Madueke we could get but it would be like our pursuit of Fofana and I'm not so sure the club are quote as bullish for the elusive piece to our squad.

West Brom.openly want him gone, I think if we position ourselves as being the most determined to get him to the player then we can get him within our budget. He'd be a regular starter with us, not so much at the other clubs he's been linked with such as West Ham and Villa as they have players in his position that will also expect to play.

I'm settling on the type of creative winger that Pereira is, a play maker. The other stand out option who wouldn't cost more than £20m is Ludovic Blas. He's like a cross between Mahrez and Coutinho, I'm shocked he hasn't been snapped up yet by a big club. He was superb last season for a very mediocre team and was way better than Romain Faivre who was hyped up to high heaven. Blas would be very interesting, like Amine Adli would. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

They definitely do want a winger.

What they don't have is an endless pot of money. Additionally we have 33 first team players currently.

Players will start to become available. Lots of players are still on holiday at the moment. But we do need to trim the squad a bit.

Who are you counting in the 33 man squad? Several of those are fringe U23 players are they not? At quick glance we currently have 28 players I'd class as first team and at least 2 of those will leave soon in Ghezzal and Choudhury and/or Praet.

12 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Part of being a good manager is making the best of what you do have rather than complaining about what you don't. Vardy / Nacho got us 5th and an FA Cup. Had we had a fit Maddison, Barnes, Justin, Ricardo for longer in the season we might have done even better.

I think we will get another winger because we lost Gray and Under, but if we desperately wanted that position we would already have gotten it. Thinking back over the last few years, players like Maguire, Ndidi, Ricardo, were signed very early into respective windows to address a telling problem in the team such as the loss of Huth, Kante or improvement over Simpson.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Who are you counting in the 33 man squad? Several of those are fringe U23 players are they not? At quick glance we currently have 28 players I'd class as first team and at least 2 of those will leave soon in Ghezzal and Choudhury and/or Praet.

23 players there on Saturday.

Plus Barnes, Mendy, Perez, Evans, Albrighton.

Plus kasper, ward, youri, praet, Castagne.

You might be counting them as fringe players but the only player who played on Saturday who's not on at least a first team championship wage is Jethro.

VDC, Leshebela, iversen, Sowah and KDH are all on decent money that some championship clubs wouldn't pay.

And you're also assuming 3 of those go - clubs aren't going to take hamza on 60k a week, clubs in Italy are unlikely to afford dennis and mendy is really happy to sit in his arse for 50k a week.

It's a bit more complex than you're making out.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Part of being a good manager is making the best of what you do have rather than complaining about what you don't. Vardy / Nacho got us 5th and an FA Cup. Had we had a fit Maddison, Barnes, Justin, Ricardo for longer in the season we might have done even better.

I think we will get another winger because we lost Gray and Under, but if we desperately wanted that position we would already have gotten it. Thinking back over the last few years, players like Maguire, Ndidi, Ricardo, were signed very early into respective windows to address a telling problem in the team such as the loss of Huth, Kante or improvement over Simpson.

I’m sure something is gonna start off a chain of events, we even have rumours of Albrighton leaving for Burnley so surely we’d need not one but two wingers

3 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Plus kasper, ward, youri, Dennis, praet, Castagne.

You might be counting them as fringe players but the only player who played on Saturday who's not on at least a first team championship wage is Jethro.

VDC, Leshebela, iversen, Sowah and KDH are all on decent money that some championship clubs wouldn't pay.

And you're also assuming 3 of those go - clubs aren't going to take hamza on 60k a week, clubs in Italy are unlikely to afford dennis and mendy is really happy to sit in his arse for 50k a week.

Quite a few of our older players could get loans if we subsidize their pay , there lies the problem , it costs us to send them out on loan. The higher up you get though and the more you pay , the more difficult it gets to sell, barring a few star players that is. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Quite a few of our older players could get loans if we subsidize their pay , there lies the problem , it costs us to send them out on loan. The higher up you get though and the more you pay , the more difficult it gets to sell, barring a few star players that is. 

And you're basically down to a choice of having them around and paying them in full, and getting rid of them and still paying half.

I reckon if we get rid of two, ghezzal and praet we could start to see some movement.

Between them they'd probably generate about 27m (wages and spend) to get a new winger in.

Do wonder if Sassuolo might need a midfielder to replace Locatelli.....

4 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Plus kasper, ward, youri, Dennis, praet, Castagne.

Hamza is not on 60k a week, no way. 

All those fringe U23 players are on the same contracts as before, they'll be loaned out if there's any takers but that isn't a new problem.

I don't dispute its difficult hence why the majority of the deadwood can't be gotten rid of or without heavily subsidising their wages. 

We've lost Fuchs, Morgan, James, Ünder and added 3 new signings + KDH and Sowah. In terms of squad numbers if we add a RW we are OK for the 25 man PL squad but it'll be a little messy for the EL squad.

AFCON properly screws us and we'll have to retain a larger squad than previous seasons as well.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Hamza is not on 60k a week, no way. 

All those fringe U23 players are on the same contracts as before, they'll be loaned out if there's any takers but that isn't a new problem.

I don't dispute its difficult hence why the majority of the deadwood can't be gotten rid of or without heavily subsidising their wages. 

We've lost Fuchs, Morgan, James, Ünder and added 3 new signings + KDH and Sowah. In terms of squad numbers if we add a RW we are OK for the 25 man PL squad but it'll be a little messy for the EL squad.

AFCON properly screws us and we'll have to retain a larger squad than previous seasons as well.

I think we will but there'll be a bit of tweaking with the squad. This won't be it.

If you need a year on year comparison by the way at this point in the transfer window last year we hadn't signed a player yet. Long way to go.....

Oh and hamza is by the way.