Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Probably because he doesn't suit our preferred system, it's a conundrum. I think he has to play at the minute whilst we've several players off form, I'd try the diamond or see if he can play behind Vardy or Daka in a 4-4-1-1.

Yeh agree with that..

the diamond never worked.

Nacho brings goals and assists though and I would have him in behind Vardy or Daka…. With Maddison on the bench

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

Exactly. No matter what you may think of him or high regard people hold Rodgers in, he’s nowhere near Man City level 😂 

Arsenal or Spurs would be best he can hope for 

Call me crazy but I don't feel he's far off Man City's level. He's done an extraordinary job at Leicester despite what some of our fans seem to think. The next step would be a Man City or Chelsea or Man Utd. I do think he's highly enough though of when those jobs come up that he'll be in the picture. 

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

Call me crazy but I don't feel he's far off Man City's level. He's done an extraordinary job at Leicester despite what some of our fans seem to think. The next step would be a Man City or Chelsea or Man Utd. I do think he's highly enough though of when those jobs come up that he'll be in the picture. 

You're crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, Deeg67 said:

You're crazy.

Okay only time will tell. But with the exception of Ranieri I struggle to think of a manager who has achieved what Rodgers has with a budget so small in the last 20 odd years. Moyes is the other one that comes to mind at Everton, and he got offered the biggest job going at the time. I think people need to realise how extraordinary it is for us to even be challenging for 4th place and winning trophies. 

I try to remain fairly balanced regarding our deals in the transfer market but I must say I am concerned about the fact that we've yet to sign an AMR moreso because we've shipped out 3 AMs since the start of the calendar year and from a squad depth perspective we simply have no backup. This position is absolutely urgent, there's no way we can get beyond deadline day having not signed anyone. If we do we'll pay the price. 

What's frustrating is that there hasn't exactly been a shortage of options over the past 18 months yet we still find ourselves in a position where Perez is nailed on a starter (by default). 

15 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

I try to remain fairly balanced regarding our deals in the transfer market but I must say I am concerned about the fact that we've yet to sign an AMR moreso because we've shipped out 3 AMs since the start of the calendar year and from a squad depth perspective we simply have no backup. This position is absolutely urgent, there's no way we can get beyond deadline day having not signed anyone. If we do we'll pay the price. 

What's frustrating is that there hasn't exactly been a shortage of options over the past 18 months yet we still find ourselves in a position where Perez is nailed on a starter (by default). 

I refuse to let Rodgers off the hook with this "by default" nonsense.  Even with this unbalanced squad there are and have always been better options than Perez, he just chooses not to use them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majaco said:

I think the only Championship winger I have seen something about is Johnson of late.   It is surprising that there are not more names from the Championship.  I know a few have moved recently:. Bowen and Benrahma spring to mind.

There must be potential somewhere. These shores too.   Even in League's 1 and 2.

Any thoughts @Ric Flair

There's no current right winger in the Championship bar perhaps David Brooks who's polished enough to immediately step up to a top 6 chasing PL side. I'm not even sure Brooks is of thst calibre as he's had a poor few seasons.

Brennan Johnson looks talented but I'd imagine he's on a par with Kamal Sowah right now and yet we don't deem him anywhere near ready/good enough. You only have to look at the complete gulf between Barnes at Barnsley tearing it up and then him coming back to us and being anonymous in the FA Cup games he got for us, it took another loan and then to build the confidence and belief that he was good enough to be a PL player. 

Morgan Whittaker at Swansea is one to keep an eye on, Alex Mighten like Johnson at Forest is another. There's very little else coming through as it stands but that obviously quickly changes season on season when youngsters get a chance.

21 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Okay only time will tell. But with the exception of Ranieri I struggle to think of a manager who has achieved what Rodgers has with a budget so small in the last 20 odd years. Moyes is the other one that comes to mind at Everton, and he got offered the biggest job going at the time. I think people need to realise how extraordinary it is for us to even be challenging for 4th place and winning trophies. 

A small budget? He’s had the biggest budget of all those previous managers hasn’t he? Correct me if I’m wrong. 
Or do you mean comparing to big 6?

In all fairness just spending money doesn’t mean anything, look at the duffers Arsenal have signed over last 2-3 years. He’s a coach and part of his job is to improve and coach what he’s got. 
He’s done a very good job on paper for us, no one has won the FA Cup in our history, but I’ve got to be honest here, he isn’t elite. Nor do I enjoy the style of possession based football but that is personal taste. 

Foreign managers generally are still thought of much more highly (rightly or wrongly) as well, I think Chelsea (like they just have) will normally go foreign elite, Utd try everything so you never know. Man City will go for top 2-3 coaches in the world at that time from now on, and Liverpool have already had Rodgers. 

So that leaves him with Arsenal and Spurs. I just cannot see how he’d get a gig anywhere else. I wonder if what he’s seeing at Spurs in terms of director of football and spending of money is making him regret his decision… 

1 minute ago, lcfceaves said:

A small budget? He’s had the biggest budget of all those previous managers hasn’t he? Correct me if I’m wrong. 
Or do you mean comparing to big 6?

In all fairness just spending money doesn’t mean anything, look at the duffers Arsenal have signed over last 2-3 years. He’s a coach and part of his job is to improve and coach what he’s got. 
He’s done a very good job on paper for us, no one has won the FA Cup in our history, but I’ve got to be honest here, he isn’t elite. Nor do I enjoy the style of possession based football but that is personal taste. 

Foreign managers generally are still thought of much more highly (rightly or wrongly) as well, I think Chelsea (like they just have) will normally go foreign elite, Utd try everything so you never know. Man City will go for top 2-3 coaches in the world at that time from now on, and Liverpool have already had Rodgers. 

So that leaves him with Arsenal and Spurs. I just cannot see how he’d get a gig anywhere else. I wonder if what he’s seeing at Spurs in terms of director of football and spending of money is making him regret his decision… 

Yeah I was comparing to the 'big six'. I was pointing out that very few managers have ever managed to challenge them in recent history without a comparable budget (ie man city and Chelsea after their take overs) Moyes (Everton days), Ranieri and Rodgers are the only three I can think of who have. I think that is some achievement personally. 

• Like 1

The fact that we’ve finished 5th the last two seasons does rather suggest that a star right winger isn’t an absolutely critical signing many here seem to suggest. Not saying I wouldn’t welcome an big upgrade in that position, but it’s not going to derail our season if it doesn’t happen.

1 minute ago, Bablemikey said:

The fact that we’ve finished 5th the last two seasons does rather suggest that a star right winger isn’t an absolutely critical signing many here seem to suggest. Not saying I wouldn’t welcome an big upgrade in that position, but it’s not going to derail our season if it doesn’t happen.

There is something clearly missing that is stopping us from breaking the top 4.

Our starting 11 is weaker than it was at the start of last year and the main position that is constantly a question mark is that right side wing/forward. We are in a loop of “Perez starts he’s gash, Albrighton comes on and seems to change a game but whenever he starts he doesn’t have much impact” 

so I would have to say that right sided winger is critical to us improving the starting 11. We need a top 4 level player who will give us 8 of 10 performances each week.

6 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

The reason we didn't qualify for CL was precisely because of the Barnes injury and Maddison loss of form meant the goals dried up. We need more creative/goal contributing midfielders. A RW is important and going into a 4 competition season with 'only' Barnes, Albrighton and Perez won't be enough. 

5 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

Very true, he may not even play with wingers and go two up top. It's nice to have the option of changing formation when needed but we have the quality in other areas of the pitch to play with say wingbacks in Justin, Perriera, Castange, Thomas and Bertrand and still be ok.

I think the right winger issue is just the want of another player on the pitch chipping in with more goals that no doubt the likes of Dewsbury-hall could contribute in a tweak of formation.

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Morgan Whittaker at Swansea is one to keep an eye on, Alex Mighten like Johnson at Forest is another. There's very little else coming through as it stands but that obviously quickly changes season on season when youngsters get a chance.

I think if we'd been keeping an eye on Morgan Whittaker we'd have stolen him from pennyless Derby rather than signing him for an inevitable £20-30m in a couple of years from Swansea...

9 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

I think it becomes more critical with the injury problems and loss of form of Maddison and we still need to see Barnes, Castagne and Ricardo stay fit for a decent amount of time and perform at a high level. We could carry Perez or Albrighton when we had Barnes, Maddison and attacking full backs fit and on form but when you actually look at our starting XI we're alarmingly scrabbling about for any form from these players. Tielemans and Iheanacho were absolute warriors for us when everything was turning to rat shit at the end of last season. Fast forward to this season and still Maddison is peripheral in games, Vardy it's too early to tell if he'll have the phenomenal finishing ability of old, Ricardo looks much better but Barnes is still finding his way back and worryingly Ndidi looks despondent and Tielemans herculean efforts last season could be a problem this season if we aren't careful. Don't even get me started on the defence.

We need a new player to come in to this XI and the one obvious position is at right wing where even if players regain their optimum form it's way below the capabilities of the other areas of our pitch. We talk about progression but we aren't anywhere near what we once were and that's why many of us are concerned and frustrated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I think if we'd been keeping an eye on Morgan Whittaker we'd have stolen him from pennyless Derby rather than signing him for an inevitable £20-30m in a couple of years from Swansea...

One of my biggest gripes the longer we succeed in the top half of the PL is we are now opting against unproven players, however talented they look. We now look to the next band or band up from that when recruiting which theoretically should give you more of a guarantee of the player hitting the ground running but it's not always the case. We have been so good at recruiting and quickly developing young players with huge potential and that's Rodgers best quality. 

Each summer Rodgees doesn't get the amount of players he wants or needs, is quality over quantity in this regard actually more beneficial to him? Time will tell, but given how we'll we can recruit and the type of player we used to be able to get for £5-15m as opposed to paying £20-30m maybe we're worse off as a result as we are still missing a right winger and back up to Barnes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

I'd imagine the problem with Rodgers might be the fact he's not been able to pick his first choice XI in about 2 years lol 

Poor bloke is probably close to bringing in an exorcist!

Perhaps he should have listened to the old physio rather than binning him hey!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's now likely to be at the stage where we are hoping and praying that a club or players agent offers us a winger who we can get cheaply and we're satisfied they are of a certain level of quality. Although that said, I've thought that on deadline day of the last 2 winter windows when we needed a certain type of player and we still didn't get them.

We need to put an advert out there to clubs and representatives to let us know whose up for grabs.