Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

Guest Chocolate Teapot

The bit that baffles me is that there appear to be some absolute bargains.

See Milan are in for corona from Porto for 17m euros. Surely we'd jump on that?

It must be squad registration that's the issue. Choudhury and praet aren't moving.

57 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I refuse to let Rodgers off the hook with this "by default" nonsense.  Even with this unbalanced squad there are and have always been better options than Perez, he just chooses not to use them.

I'd agree historically, and even currently to an extent. How Praet doesn't get in the side ahead of Perez I have no idea and BRs stubbornness not to utilise the full squad is one of my biggest bug bears with him. However the backup options really are diminishing quickly now which is very concerning. 

I'm really not a fan of Perez and in my view a random fan plucked from the crowd would struggle not to put up the numbers Perez delivered last season, but if he got injured I'm not sure Albrighton has it in him anymore to play the number of games we'll face over the course of the season so for me strengthening this position is crucial if we want to at least maintain the our position within the league especially as all of our rivals seem to be making concerted efforts to strengthen in the attacking third. 

6 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

It must be squad registration that's the issue. Choudhury and praet aren't moving.

They don’t have to be named in our PL 25.

Still expect one or both of them to leave though, and us to sign a Perez upgrade.

Patience!

9 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Depends if they are on out list of scouted players, we'll have a list of players for each position and try and move on them. If they aren't available, then buying someone is a risk (see Rachid). I'm sure we'd much rather get a loan than rush into someone else like that again. 

54 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Renowned for that wand of a right foot. 

Ideally, we want a left-footed player on the right side so he fits the bill just nicely. 

And he had that right-footed goal at Chelsea! 

GERRIMIN. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, Babylon said:

Depends if they are on out list of scouted players, we'll have a list of players for each position and try and move on them. If they aren't available, then buying someone is a risk (see Rachid). I'm sure we'd much rather get a loan than rush into someone else like that again. 

I know they do the three player shortlist thing but surely there's a bit of a wider pool than that? 

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

I know they do the three player shortlist thing but surely there's a bit of a wider pool than that? 

I think like Babylon says, once you go past the three person list... it's into loans for players you already know will be good or are just available. 

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

Okay only time will tell. But with the exception of Ranieri I struggle to think of a manager who has achieved what Rodgers has with a budget so small in the last 20 odd years. Moyes is the other one that comes to mind at Everton, and he got offered the biggest job going at the time. I think people need to realise how extraordinary it is for us to even be challenging for 4th place and winning trophies. 

.....Fergie picked a successor and chose his best mate!!!

He had pottered about for years in the Premiership with an Everton club constantly pleading poverty. With so many years in the division all they were doing was marking time.   

Probably the best thing that happened to him was getting the boot from United and he got to experience other ways of playing the game. He certainly has been well backed at West Ham, and has produced a style which is very difficult to combat and seems to have taken a leaf out of our book with the concentration of the engine room and players buying into the plan.

Edited by sacreblueits442

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Bamba doesn’t really make sense, heavily right footed and only plays left wing. We already have one of those, and he isn’t going to overhaul Harvey. 

I read it as Ikone first up, but you're right although my main desire for a winger is to reduce the burden on Barnes more than anything else.

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I read it as Ikone first up, but you're right although my main desire for a winger is to reduce the burden on Barnes more than anything else.

Yeah Ikone makes more sense, and has been linked with leaving this summer too. Not with us though. Some Italian clubs I think. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Milan linked with faivre. And brest will sell.

I'm turning into @Ric Flair here but **** off.

We should have just signed bowen when we had the chance a few years ago.

9 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Milan linked with faivre. And brest will sell.

I'm turning into @Ric Flair here but **** off.

We should have just signed bowen when we had the chance a few years ago.

It makes it even more annoying when it's a whose who of players we've been linked with that are going for very modest prices. I accept when some herbert I've randomly plucked off transfer markt transfers and there's been absolutely zero link to us but the likes of Olise, Adli, Faivre were all linked to us and yet when it becomes clear they'll go for less than £15m we seem to be nowhere near it. 

23 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Think we'll end up trying to get David Brooks. Only 1 year left on his deal.

He's started the season quite well but Bournemouth are adamant they won't sell after losing Danjuma. They'd rather risk him walking away for nothing in the summer than sell him and risk their promotion bid. It's annoying but recently relegated Championship clubs aren't the easy target they once were. 

I think we'll get Josip Brekalo on loan.

25 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Think we'll end up trying to get David Brooks. Only 1 year left on his deal.

......we do tend to turn our noses up to players we do not consider worthy to be at this club!!!

He is technically very good, can play around the front three positions, lacks pace but intelligent player. Playing with the quality we have would bring him back to the position he was at in 2019 when his stock was very high and posters on here were wondering if we should go out and get him. I would not be unhappy should he turn up here, he has been stuck in a rut and needs a new challenge I would think, and we are a good step up for him.

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I refuse to let Rodgers off the hook with this "by default" nonsense.  Even with this unbalanced squad there are and have always been better options than Perez, he just chooses not to use them.

I think that we don't have the money and I don't think that the right player is available.

So what are the options that are better than Perez if we have to go with what we have?  Albrighton is the obvious one, but I don't know what Dennis has done to upset Rodgers so much that he doesn't get a sniff.  He's not a winger of course, but neither is Perez.  He would offer more energy, strength and definitely more quality.  I'm not a fan of putting Ricardo further up the pitch as he does his best attacking work running from deep, but I think that Castagne could do a solid job on the right.  A great engine for pressing and again more quality and steel.

None of the options are ideal but there's three that would improve us over Perez imo.  I think that the very worst thing we could do would be to blow a load of money on the wrong player yet again.  If he's not out there, he's not out there.

Edited by murphy

Just now, murphy said:

I think that we don't have the money and the I don't think that the right player is available.

So what are the options that are better than Perez if we have to go with what we have?  Albrighton is the obvious one, but I don't know what Dennis has done to upset Rodgers so much that he doesn't get a sniff.  He's not a winger of course, but neither is Perez.  He would offer more energy, strength and definitely more quality.  I'm not a fan of putting Ricardo further up the pitch as he does his best work attacking running from deep, but I think that Castagne could do a solid job on the right.  A great engine for pressing and again more quality and steel.

None of the options are ideal but there's three that would improve us over Perez imo.  I think that the very worst thing we could do would be to blow a load of money on the wrong player yet again.  If he's not out there, he's not out there.

When Dennis played wide right last season I thought he was great. He's a far better player for that position than Perez and a true technician who can drift inside. I really hope Rodgers tries him there again if we're not getting a winger any more.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think we'll get Josip Brekalo on loan.

Isn't he predominately a left winger though?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

When Dennis played wide right last season I thought he was great. He's a far better player for that position than Perez and a true technician who can drift inside. I really hope Rodgers tries him there again if we're not getting a winger any more.

Yes but can play on both sides, but unfortunately we left it to late, have to settle for any crap now 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Yes he is, I think we are looking for one who can play on the right but fill in for Barnes as well a bit like Dan James.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

I dont think he did play wide right though, did he? IIRC, He played at the right hand side of that "box" midfield that we toyed with with two deep lying CMs and two #10s.