Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

3 minutes ago, enmac said:

Anyone mentioned Shaqiri yet? Supposedly interest according to some site I saw earlier. According to Transfermarkt his main position is RW! £10+M. It's a yes from me. 

Good player but too inconsistent and old and bad attitude no from me

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, enmac said:

Anyone mentioned Shaqiri yet? Supposedly interest according to some site I saw earlier. According to Transfermarkt his main position is RW! £10+M. It's a yes from me. 

It’s a yes from me too, for what it’s worth. When given a go, he can do a good job on the right hand side. Solid Orem experience, yet still young enough to have a good few years.  New lease of life since his hair transplant 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Stupid price, there's some real bargains in France right now. How Faivre is going for about double that is beyond me though. Blas is much more dynamic and accomplished a player but Faivre gets loads of hype because he takes a lethal free kick.

...Blas won't be going for €12m, as soon as we get involved in this, the price will double, if not more!!!

Blas looks good but we have a player who fits this club perfectly and it comes down to Pereira.

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Does anyone know when Barnes might be back? Or do we're need 2 wingers?

Seen a quote earlier (not sure where think it was on Twitter) saying he could be involved on Wednesday but more likely it will be against QPR

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't think that can be interpreted any other way than as an error in judgment or a concession that we aren't really a top 4 contender.

With Barnes, our collection of wingers is about mid-table level.  Without him, relegation level.  You can say "just play Daka on the right" but that's yet another case of bringing in a promising player only for BR to immediately play him out of position to prove what a genius he is.  You know what Pep does?  He uses guys where they're at their best.  Sometimes simpler is better.  Easier to play that way when you have the money to stock up, but we've had opportunities to fortify the right and chosen to go in other directions.

What's going to happen if we don't bring in a starting-caiiber wide player is the same thing that happened last season - you end up forced to play formations that leave us punchless on the attack against teams that give us a lot of possession.  Guys get tired (especially with a manager who doesn't rotate his most important players), guys get hurt.  This is really a test of our seriousness as a club, and our level of ambition.

Such a shame because successes like Raphinha and to a lesser extent Bertrand Traore prove that there are right wingers out there who would do well for us. Traore is perhaps not as good as Raphinha, but he got over 10 G+A in limited time last season, he would have been a better option than any of our right wingers this season. Raphinha speaks for himself - had we grabbed him last season instead of Leeds, I am certain we would have managed Top 4.

• Like 1

It will end up being MP I think. Safe option, but I think the delay will be we will want a loan with an option to buy, and WBA will either want a transfer or a normal loan, as I think they want to keep him if they return to the PL.

So there maybe work to do.

• Like 1

Honestly think it will just be a loan, with Rodgers having a £30m player he already bought for that position and Ricardo who he admitted last season he wanted to play there, I just can't see us pumping more money on a player. We could end up going 433 in quite a few games as well, which I could then see him using Maddison, Daka, Iheanacho out there (despite being a bad idea). 

I think the big spends have been done this season. It's easy to say "but Man City do X" when we're Z. 

LCFC is a business, not an arab oil state's PR campaign and vanity project. We can either be a sustainable club that operates at a good, competitive level - around top 8 and the odd cup run or we can end up like Leeds 2000s. 

Very, very few clubs get to stay near the top for long without either the money cheat or knowing how to run the business side of the game. Look at Spurs - 5 years ago they were ready to become champions and now they're fighting to stay relevant.

• Like 4

Guest Chocolate Teapot
30 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Honestly think it will just be a loan, with Rodgers having a £30m player he already bought for that position and Ricardo who he admitted last season he wanted to play there, I just can't see us pumping more money on a player. We could end up going 433 in quite a few games as well, which I could then see him using Maddison, Daka, Iheanacho out there (despite being a bad idea). 

The more I've thought about it, the more likely I think we're going to get someone who can play anywhere across the front 3 and they might not even be a natural right winger.

We have currently 5 players in the squad who have played right wing at some point - sowah, albrighton, perez, Ricardo and ghezzal. You could argue none have been any good but the biggest issues we've had is when maddison or Barnes are injured therefore someone who could fill in for them is probably more critical. Particularly given Praet looks like he's off.

Damsgaard in a swap deal for praet plus 5m-10m would be ideal. We could make up the rest with ghezzals fee.

8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't think that can be interpreted any other way than as an error in judgment or a concession that we aren't really a top 4 contender.

With Barnes, our collection of wingers is about mid-table level.  Without him, relegation level.  You can say "just play Daka on the right" but that's yet another case of bringing in a promising player only for BR to immediately play him out of position to prove what a genius he is.  You know what Pep does?  He uses guys where they're at their best.  Sometimes simpler is better.  Easier to play that way when you have the money to stock up, but we've had opportunities to fortify the right and chosen to go in other directions.

What's going to happen if we don't bring in a starting-caiiber wide player is the same thing that happened last season - you end up forced to play formations that leave us punchless on the attack against teams that give us a lot of possession.  Guys get tired (especially with a manager who doesn't rotate his most important players), guys get hurt.  This is really a test of our seriousness as a club, and our level of ambition.

You can pick any formation you like, the opposition are going to look for a way to neutralise it. The constant playing out from the back is the principal tactic that determines our play. It makes us slow in build up and predictable and it needs to change.

6 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Why is Maddison Daka and Iheanacho a bad idea?

Play a diamond and I think that would work quite well as a fluid front 3. In fact, swap Daka for Vardy and I think that is most likely how we will start the season. 

Well obviously it depends on how you play it, but Maddison Vardy and Nacho (not seen enough of Daka) aren't really the sort to be dropping back*. If you look at Liverpool and say we're trying that sort of formation, it works because Mane and Salah are very talented, but also pacy, great stamina and do a fair amount of dropping deep. 

Maddison used to be muck when played wide and we've seen how bad Nacho can be when he's not close to players. Vardy would but he's 35 and you can't ask him to.

Maddening that we're not even being tentatively linked to anyone at the moment. I'd love for just one journalist to give me a name to at least get me somewhat hopeful that we're going to sign a winger.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Maddening that we're not even being tentatively linked to anyone at the moment. I'd love for just one journalist to give me a name to at least get me somewhat hopeful that we're going to sign a winger.

Weve literally been tentatively linked to 3 wingers in the last 24 hours.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, AKCJ said:

Missed those then. Who are they?

Have you read the transfer forum?

Correa, Brekalo and Bailey.....