Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Stadium Expansion update July 2021

Mercury also reporting arena will have capacity for 6,000 standing.Much smaller than the Arenas in Birmingham and Nottingham and not quite sure what events that attracts over and above the present DeMontfort Hall and Morningside

arena.

I'd be looking at the council to stump up so cash towards the arena costs .

I'd imagine including concerts, exhibitions and conferences Hotels, restaurants and shops in the City centre could receive a massive boost.

They have millions in reserve and could easily get that back in rates etc .

Add to that the 20-25 home matches that bring money in LCFC/King Power deserve massive support from Soulsby and crew .

9 minutes ago, Winsum said:

Mercury also reporting arena will have capacity for 6,000 standing.Much smaller than the Arenas in Birmingham and Nottingham and not quite sure what events that attracts over and above the present DeMontfort Hall and Morningside

arena.

Perhaps they're designing into the stadium a way to convert it more easily for concerts etc.

13 minutes ago, Winsum said:

arena.

Thats a good thing. To compete with Nottingham/Birmingham would be daft. It will get on a different circuit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moore_94 said:

You need to have a membership to buy Wolves tickets currently (or be a STH), definitely not like general sale.

Leaving it for days at this point is pretty much that. It's general sale crowd getting tickets though their season ticket holding mates.

30 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You don't think the 18 month pandemic has played a large part in that, it's going to take a while for people to get used to going. I'm not really in a danger group and double vaccination, and I'm feeling a little trepidation of going and sitting in a packed ground. Not that I agree with going any further than 40,000. 

yeah i totally agree with you but 8000 extra tickets is a hell of a lot more to shift. Even pre pandemic we had a few left for the night games against the likes of Burnley and West Brom. 

11 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Don't really get this obsession with size. Much prefer them to go to 40k and develop the surrounding area. 

I am sure that will be the question constantly thrown at them though, so be good to hear their thinking process. 

Could simply be down to budget. Quite incredible we are even doing this considering we just moved into a £100m training ground and continue to spend in the window, all post Covid. 

Me either. This needs to be sustainable, 365 days a year as an expansion.

Spunking £70m or so on a massive extra 20k seats or whatever it'd cost would take bloody years to recoup, or you're looking at a good portion being very expensive corporate areas (and I assume they know how big their corporate market reach is).

Arena, hotel, car parking, 8k extra seats, a proper complex they can make money from seven days a week. There's your money, there's your long-term sustainable income.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, los dedos said:

I'd be looking at the council to stump up so cash towards the arena costs .

I'd imagine including concerts, exhibitions and conferences Hotels, restaurants and shops in the City centre could receive a massive boost.

They have millions in reserve and could easily get that back in rates etc .

Add to that the 20-25 home matches that bring money in LCFC/King Power deserve massive support from Soulsby and crew .

No chance lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Yes, for those events where 3,000 at DeMontfort/Morningside is not enough but 12,000 at Birmingham/Notts Arena is too big.

I agree 6000 will be plenty, Demontfort can only actually do 2,000 standing or around 1,400 seated and Morningside as you said is 3,000 

12 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Got to be something in this for the age bracket 16-40 odd. The club do a lot for kids and the older supporters. That middle bracket needs something to make a match experience exciting.

So true. Maybe the surrounding development of the site can accommodate this. Are rail seats likely to be considered do we know as part of this re-configuring?

Edit: My question answered a few posts up! Fingers crossed

Edited by lebleu

2 hours ago, goose2010 said:

yeah i totally agree with you but 8000 extra tickets is a hell of a lot more to shift. Even pre pandemic we had a few left for the night games against the likes of Burnley and West Brom. 

We won't be trying to shift 8000 tickets though. The work will increase corporate availability and so in reality the available increase for regular supporters will be less than that. 

Even discounting that, 8000 seats would mean the season ticket cap could be raised by approx. 5000, and they will sell, no doubt about that.

At most there will only be 3000 extra tickets available per game, which wouldn't be hard to shift, even against the likes of Burnley.

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Attendances have been growing for years in England pretty much. Long term we could sustain 50k+. I really hope expansion construction work makes it easier to expand again in future.

Sunderland's average in the year they went down was a shade under 39k in a considerably smaller (< 200k city, < 350k metro area) and less affluent place.

Derby has a much smaller population than Leicester and they've been averaging ~26k in the championship for a while (probably not now though lmao)

Burnley average ~20k in a place not much bigger than Loughborough.

Leicestershire's population is approximately 1,100,000 not to mention the towns and cities we draw on like Northampton, Kettering, Nuneaton, Rugby, Burton etc.

We're the second largest English one club city after Leeds, add in that we're dining at the top table now too so the demand is there.

Derby give away season tickets with phone contracts, or did. They hand their season tickets out like confetti. 

We've got a huge rugby club on our doorstep, and we've still not really fully tapped into the asian market. Considering the makeup of our city blacks and asians in the crowd are massively under represented. 

Attendances were good in the champ', but not amazing. If the support was there right now, I think we'd of had more. 

1 minute ago, Snik-Snok said:

At most there will only be 3000 extra tickets available per game, which wouldn't be hard to shift, even against the likes of Burnley.

The fact is, the club hasn't really had to try to sell tickets in years. No real advertising, no schools/workplace promotions, and even the unsold tickets are usually isolated singles, and I'd rather watch a night game at the pub than be a sad sap lonely guy at the stadium ("Then you aren't a real fan!" say a few on this board.) I think 3000 will go without effort; with effort, the club could do 50k (not saying that should be the immediate goal, but still.)

14 minutes ago, Snik-Snok said:

We won't be trying to shift 8000 tickets though. The work will increase corporate availability and so in reality the available increase for regular supporters will be less than that. 

Even discounting that, 8000 seats would mean the season ticket cap could be raised by approx. 5000, and they will sell, no doubt about that.

which as i have said before is fine. shifting 3000 is this economic climate wont be easy without marketing it right. 

Imagine trying to shift 13k if we would to increase to 50k. You would end up giving the tickets away which then annoys the fans that pay £50+ for match ticket. 

Look at Man City for instance there fans base SHOULD be huge but it isnt, it simply just doesnt work like that. 

35 minutes ago, Snik-Snok said:

Yes but the people who are currently buying match by match tickets are those first in line to get season tickets once we've expanded.

We've currently got 22.5K season ticket holder and circa 10K members when it was last leaked. That's 32.5K if every member attends every game which won't happen. 3K away fans takes us to 35.5K. So we need at least 4.5K more fans to come forward for every single game to sell out every week, as that's as I say assuming every current member attends every single home game.

Against the smaller teams I think that could be a stretch especially at the current price point.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

which as i have said before is fine. shifting 3000 is this economic climate wont be easy without marketing it right. 

Imagine trying to shift 13k if we would to increase to 50k. You would end up giving the tickets away which then annoys the fans that pay £50+ for match ticket. 

Look at Man City for instance there fans base SHOULD be huge but it isnt, it simply just doesnt work like that. 

There's not many empty seats at Man city's league games though is there? It's only cup games and some champions league games where they dont sell. 

We shouldn't be looking to expand to a capacity that is the lowest where we are guarenteed to sell out against the lower teams. Its not a disaster if not every game is a complete sell out.

Sound like you'd prefer to stay at 32000 because when we play someone like crystal palace after raising it to 40000 there may be 1500 empty seats. In that case we'll never move on from where we are, and our 3 main regional rivals, all currently a division lower, would have bigger stadiums (in Forest's case soon).

I'm fine with the initial 40000, but wouldnt like the work to be done in a way that prevents future expansion if demand is there. It would only take a modest further expansion to take us bigger than Juve and PSG in terms of stadium.