Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Stadium Expansion update July 2021

33 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Derby give away season tickets with phone contracts, or did. They hand their season tickets out like confetti. 

We've got a huge rugby club on our doorstep, and we've still not really fully tapped into the asian market. Considering the makeup of our city blacks and asians in the crowd are massively under represented. 

Attendances were good in the champ', but not amazing. If the support was there right now, I think we'd of had more. 

2/3rds of Leicestershire's population is from the county, there's still more latent potential wrt fanbase there than the city, in my opinion.

Regarding Derby, they used to hand out STs but they've attracted crowds and maintained them since. Create attractive offers and the club will benefit from the lifetime value of those STHs.

"If the support was there right now, I think we'd of had more." I semi agree but I've read before people didn't think we were capable of selling out 32k when moving from Filbert Street. Having excess capacity is a nicer problem than having too little. Whilst Top is the chairman I think we'll be a consistent top 8/10 side so we'll likely build up to it. Would be nice to be able to future proof ourselves by making further expansion more possible whilst constructing the initial development.

7 minutes ago, Snik-Snok said:

There's not many empty seats at Man city's league games though is there? It's only cup games and some champions league games where they dont sell. 

We shouldn't be looking to expand to a capacity that is the lowest where we are guarenteed to sell out against the lower teams. Its not a disaster if not every game is a complete sell out.

Sound like you'd prefer to stay at 32000 because when we play someone like crystal palace after raising it to 40000 there may be 1500 empty seats. In that case we'll never move on from where we are, and our 3 main regional rivals, all currently a division lower, would have bigger stadiums (in Forest's case soon).

I'm fine with the initial 40000, but wouldnt like the work to be done in a way that prevents future expansion if demand is there. It would only take a modest further expansion to take us bigger than Juve and PSG in terms of stadium. 

So basically you just want the bragging rights that we have the biggest ground in the midlands? Who cares?! the success comes on the pitch. Ticket sales means nothing to premier league clubs these days. 

I have never said that we should stick at 32 i said 40 is enough for now and then in 10 years time if we are in the position we are in now add to it again. 

My Main point and has been all the time is jumping to say 50 / 60k would be mental even 45k would be a struggle. 

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

People arguing over 40k is enough, the club hasn't just pluck the figure out of the air. They would have or someone on their behalf would have carried out a feasibility study to assess the options

Also it could be that's all we can afford at this current time.

People missing that point. £100m on training ground. £50m on transfers (so far) and all post covid which no doubt would have hit King Power very hard. It's incredible an expansion and area development is still going ahead so soon. I'm buzzing for it! 

9 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

People arguing over 40k is enough, the club hasn't just pluck the figure out of the air. They would have or someone on their behalf would have carried out a feasibility study to assess the options

Also it could be that's all we can afford at this current time.

Yes they have, it's been 40k ever since the stadium was built.

1 minute ago, red5 said:

Yes they have, it's been 40k ever since the stadium was built.

Billionaire business men, with an organisation with some seriously switched on people don't pluck shit out the air.

5 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

People missing that point. £100m on training ground. £50m on transfers (so far) and all post covid which no doubt would have hit King Power very hard. It's incredible an expansion and area development is still going ahead so soon. I'm buzzing for it! 

Me too 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bit by bit, 8000 on the east stand now, in a few years when more funds are available, which is partly dependent on success and demand, it’ll be 6000 on the kop and the same on the family stand. We could end up with a 52000 seater stadium and if we do get to that figure it will representative of how successful a club we may become. Mind, I ain’t going upstairs, it’s cold enough half way up the ground let alone another 80 ft further up with the rain and wind blowing in from across the river.

• Like 1

Even Liverpool who will have a much higher demand for tickets and much more money to spend on it haven’t been adding more seats all in one go

8.5k onto the main stand a few years ago, plans for another 7k on another stand

40k will do us just fine for a few years and then if the good times are continuing we can then look at throwing another load of seats in

• Like 1

Re the Ivanhoe Line 

By way of an update, we submitted the Strategic Outline Business Case (SOBC) to the DfT at the end of May.  We are aware of internal reviews in Network Rail during June.  We've had some verbal feedback but no decisions made.  We're aware that a submission has been made to "the minister" (not sure which one) but with parliament in recess until September and a spending  review coming up we appear to be in for a wait for a decision.  
It isn't just us: we are in contact with the Barrowhill campaign, fellow round one RYR winners, and they are in exactly the same position.  The only scheme that does seem to be ploughing ahead is the Ashington Line, for those of you following railway reopenings, see https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/news/project-news/northumberland-line-news
We need to sort out some better comms, but it needs more expertise than I have to throw at it but other members of the team are looking at it, so apologies for the silence and I hope this brief update serves to reassure you we are still here!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Me either. This needs to be sustainable, 365 days a year as an expansion.

Spunking £70m or so on a massive extra 20k seats or whatever it'd cost would take bloody years to recoup, or you're looking at a good portion being very expensive corporate areas (and I assume they know how big their corporate market reach is).

Arena, hotel, car parking, 8k extra seats, a proper complex they can make money from seven days a week. There's your money, there's your long-term sustainable income.

How much do you reckon all this will cost for the extra 8k and various new bits? It will easily be £70m

As long as this expansion increases the chances I could finally get a ST! Been waiting for years scrounging game day tickets off friends every time I visit. I want to be a ST holder for life. (Both Fingers crossed)

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Billionaire business men, with an organisation with some seriously switched on people don't pluck shit out the air.

Listen carefully I'll say this only once, when the stadium was built it was known that the east stand could be expanded by 8k oh wait some billionaire superhumans have come up with the same figure 20 odd years later lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, red5 said:

Listen carefully I'll say this only once, when the stadium was built it was known that the east stand could be expanded by 8k oh wait some billionaire superhumans have come up with the same figure 20 odd years later lol 

I am pretty sure he means as in the club could have extended to MORE than 40k by extending more than the East Stand, but will have looked into why it is reasonable to extend only that far at this point.

1 hour ago, thesilverfox said:

Just read elsewhere that the new stand will be 150ft high. This is the same height as Elizabeth House in Leicester, near the train station.

It's going to be fooking massive. Cannot wait to see the images on Thursday.

elizabeth house.jpg

Sounds about right. 

7 minutes ago, red5 said:

If this the case they still haven't pick the number out of thin air, like I said.

By the way looking forward to you making you first Billion......

6 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

I agree 6000 will be plenty, Demontfort can only actually do 2,000 standing or around 1,400 seated and Morningside as you said is 3,000 

For info the planning ICO report said that the indoor arena would be seated, with a maximum of 6000 persons together with standing. I assume it will be a mixture and an intimate smaller type venue perhaps.

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Even Liverpool who will have a much higher demand for tickets and much more money to spend on it haven’t been adding more seats all in one go

8.5k onto the main stand a few years ago, plans for another 7k on another stand

40k will do us just fine for a few years and then if the good times are continuing we can then look at throwing another load of seats in

To do that in one go on a current stadium would have major effects on their match day capacity so it makes sense why they've done it that way.. same with us. Just look how united devolved Old Trafford... 

2 hours ago, thesilverfox said:

Just read elsewhere that the new stand will be 150ft high. This is the same height as Elizabeth House in Leicester, near the train station.

It's going to be fooking massive. Cannot wait to see the images on Thursday.

elizabeth house.jpg

Anyone know the current height of the ground now? 

1 hour ago, red5 said:

The only figure I ever heard mentioned was 55,000 from the early days of the Walkers. I specifically remember that we were told the stadium was designed to allow a relatively cheap and easy expansion up to 55,000 and it would be done if England won their 2018 World Cup bid. (ie- expansion to higher than 55k would get exponentially difficult and expensive)

Does anyone else remember this or am I going crackers? lol