Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Stadium Expansion update July 2021

6 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

The fact is, the club hasn't really had to try to sell tickets in years. No real advertising, no schools/workplace promotions, and even the unsold tickets are usually isolated singles, and I'd rather watch a night game at the pub than be a sad sap lonely guy at the stadium ("Then you aren't a real fan!" say a few on this board.) I think 3000 will go without effort; with effort, the club could do 50k (not saying that should be the immediate goal, but still.)

A couple of seasons back none of my mates could make the match one Saturday afternoon, so at a loose end as to what to do I went on a sad mans pub crawl. Went to a few different pubs that we didn’t usually frequent, tried a few different ales that I hadn’t had before and arrived at the stadium half cooked. I loved it. Can’t wait for all my mates to be away again. lol 

• Haha 2

We're definitely at a stage where we are ready for a stadium expansion so this is a very exciting and well timed move.

It's pretty obvious that the club would have done a lot of research before committing to any plans to ensure Cost vs Return etc, it's not like their fortune wasn't built on good business.

You've also got to look further than the glory games. We'll always sell out against certain teams, yet others there is pretty good availability. A massive influx of support following the Premier league win, where demand was at a record high, further demand following the F.A victory etc. Ultimately, the club will be looking at 10..15...20 years into the future, not next year. In 20 years, if we become a solid top 5 team, will demand still be there or will it become 'The Norm'

You don't want empty seats, but you also don't want fans cancelled out from ever getting tickets. Eventually, more seats = more revenue.

I think it shows yet further ambition from the club and the willingness to invest money.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hollism said:

The only figure I ever heard mentioned was 55,000 from the early days of the Walkers. I specifically remember that we were told the stadium was designed to allow a relatively cheap and easy expansion up to 55,000 and it would be done if England won their 2018 World Cup bid. (ie- expansion to higher than 55k would get exponentially difficult and expensive)

Does anyone else remember this or am I going crackers? lol

Yes I definitely remember that when the stadium was built.

It was also mentioned on one of those stadium development websites for sure.

What are we expecting from this big reveal? Some sort of slick video presentation set to groovy music not unlike the Seagrave announcements, perhaps. Or a series of artistic impressions or perhaps just the plans submitted to the LPA. As a public consultation we might even be able to make comments. Who knows. 

Anyone going to the VIP launch tonight? 

14 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

What are we expecting from this big reveal? Some sort of slick video presentation set to groovy music not unlike the Seagrave announcements, perhaps. Or a series of artistic impressions or perhaps just the plans submitted to the LPA. As a public consultation we might even be able to make comments. Who knows. 

I’d expect the same as the training ground where we got big artistic impressions. 

I’d hope for a big old video of all these wonderful buildings “rising up” and then focusing on new main stand.

15 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

People have mentioned in the past of seeing a 'fly through' video of the whole development site. That would be amazing.

16 hours to go, not that I'm counting.

On 10/08/2021 at 07:51, Winsum said:

According to the Mercury earliest completion date for expansion is by Autumn 2024

Is that the full development though? Can't say I've read anything on the Mercury as most of what the publish now seems to be info gathered on here.

Is it possible that the stand itself would be completed much sooner and the hotel, arena and everything else will be completed after?

I wonder if we're doing one of those project where we build behind the stand so capacity isn't affected too much, then join the 2 together over a summer, like Liverpool did?

40 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Is that the full development though? Can't say I've read anything on the Mercury as most of what the publish now seems to be info gathered on here.

Is it possible that the stand itself would be completed much sooner and the hotel, arena and everything else will be completed after?

I wonder if we're doing one of those project where we build behind the stand so capacity isn't affected too much, then join the 2 together over a summer, like Liverpool did?

I think I've read recently that's what we're doing. If I have, it's probably in this thread not so far back.

22 hours ago, Hollism said:

The only figure I ever heard mentioned was 55,000 from the early days of the Walkers. I specifically remember that we were told the stadium was designed to allow a relatively cheap and easy expansion up to 55,000 and it would be done if England won their 2018 World Cup bid. (ie- expansion to higher than 55k would get exponentially difficult and expensive)

Does anyone else remember this or am I going crackers? lol

Definitely around the figured I can remember. Although if I remember rightly the City Ground was picked as the venue for the 2018 World Cup over the KP!

9 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Did someone say there is a function for this tonight for important people? 

It's the fans commitee thing tonight. They're seeing it, that's about it as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Did someone say there is a function for this tonight for important people? 

It's just members of the FCC getting to see it 1st. Between 5 and 6 today.

Some twat booked his 2nd covid jab for today at 5.40 tho. :appl:

Edited by Bayfox

On 10/08/2021 at 16:09, red5 said:

Listen carefully I'll say this only once, when the stadium was built it was known that the east stand could be expanded by 8k oh wait some billionaire superhumans have come up with the same figure 20 odd years later lol 

Which is exactly the point, they would have done the calculations on what it would cost to extend other parts of the ground to go bigger, even if that includes demolishing part of it. That's why they even discussed building a new ground, they've gone through multiple scenarios. They haven't just looked at the plans and said... oh it's 8000 increase lets do that, without looking into everything else. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

Definitely around the figured I can remember. Although if I remember rightly the City Ground was picked as the venue for the 2018 World Cup over the KP!

Wasn't the City ground selected. Just an imaginary stadium in Nottingham with no location, planning, funding nor owner. Both the council and forest said they wouldn't/ couldn't  fund it.

But they got the selection anyway as part of a government led general strategy of encouraging/channeling investment into the likes of MK and Nottingham and deliberately away from.the likes of less sexy cities such as   Portsmouth, Swansea, Bradford, Derby, Leicester  which were all deemed as 'dying' (I've seen the document)

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Wasn't the City ground selected. Just an imaginary stadium in Nottingham with no location, planning, funding nor owner. Both the council and forest said they wouldn't/ couldn't  fund it.

But they got the selection anyway as part of a government led general strategy of encouraging/channeling investment into the likes of MK and Nottingham and deliberately away from.the likes of less sexy cities such as   Portsmouth, Swansea, Bradford, Derby, Leicester  which were all deemed as 'dying' (I've seen the document)

Yes I remember it being completely unfeasible. It was a picture of a new stadium without anything else behind it ie plans, funding etc. It was like some fan through together some concept and they decided to run with it for the bid. I seem to remember the KP was going to be expanded to 40k as part of the Leicester bid and all the funding and everything was already in place. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

That's sent me down about of a whole reading about the whole thing but some of the bids seem like complete fiction looking back on it. I mean these were some of the proposed venues. 

Nottigham (New City Ground) - Only picture submitted (45,000) (No funding)

1021220243_Nottingham2018WorldCuplogowithstadium.jpg.0bd5d603c8f4550b17c7af10ed9a702c.jpg

Bristol (Ashton Vale) 44,000 (no funding either)

1233816591_AshtonValeinoperationmode.gif.07b153cae118d6fea2ee716a44a6c221.gif

And the most ridiculous of all Plymouth (Home park extension) (44,000) - Fair play to them though they did have funding and proper plans. It was to be paid for by the club, the council, local businesses, a rugby team and a basketball team and even had support from some other teams such as Torquay. 

)3869851.jpg.93d76c9929b233bbaa41faf15b3db6b9.jpg

There was also a plan to expand the Stadium MK to 44,000 but they didn't even have as much as a picture in their bid!

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1