Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Stadium Expansion update July 2021

6 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Man City struggle to fill their stadium

Part of that is down to them upping sticks from Moss Side and relocating to an area at the other end of the city though. They also have probably the worst neighbours in the country in that regard. We’d fill £45k I’d be fairly confident of that - but if they want to do it in increments then fair enough. 

36 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

It’s clear the stadium needs a reconfiguration. I hope this extra tier is not just more expensive padded seats. Bring in rail seats, create an end with a focus on atmosphere and allow it to flourish.

I think you know you are going to be disappointed.

It's going to be heavily focussed of corporate boxes and seats. Absolutely zero chance a new stand is used for some kind of 'end'

They will be trying to re-coup the costs in as quick a way as possible and that means boxes and corporate seating. 

• Like 2

We are so blessed to have forward thinking and progressive owners. These plans sound amazing.

The calculations for 40k as opposed to 45k must be based on some logic, and not just a gut feeling. I agree it seems best to go to a higher ceiling. We don’t want to have to increase it again in 5 years time, assuming we continue to develop and deliver on the pitch.

8 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

This is probably the most exciting part for me. The basketball arena is starting to get bigger and better events, but I'd love to bigger scale gigs here too.

Expection: Leicester Ice Hockey team

Reality: Sam Bailey 5 nights of homecoming gigs

So true. Esports too, that can firmly get in the bin. Can’t they do that at megazone or something.

Edited by SemperEadem

11 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I think you know you are going to be disappointed.

It's going to be heavily focussed of corporate boxes and seats. Absolutely zero chance a new stand is used for some kind of 'end'

They will be trying to re-coup the costs in as quick a way as possible and that means boxes and corporate seating. 

Yeah it’s clear a top tier stand would never be used as an ‘end’. Hence I mentioned the moving around of blocks so those that want top whack seats up there can take them whilst also catering for those that wont.

Edited by SemperEadem

25 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Can't be going too big too quick, Man City struggle to fill their stadium.. I'd rather we are at capacity for a few more years before looking to expand again.

Am I right in thinking it's just the West Stand that can't be expanded on?

So what if they struggle to fill, there will always be tickets for people wanting one on a whim which suits many.

• Like 3

I think 40k is quite sensible- assuming further work is possible, it adds a quarter onto current capacity and it won’t leave it looking like a complete white elephant should the worst happen in the future and we end up with crowds around the ~20k mark. Sustained success could hopefully leave it open to further extension in the near future.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I think 40k is quite sensible- assuming further work is possible, it adds a quarter onto current capacity and it won’t leave it looking like a complete white elephant should the worst happen in the future and we end up with crowds around the ~20k mark. Sustained success could hopefully leave it open to further extension in the near future.

Was thinking this too. Also I don’t mind it being a “small” expansion as long as the plans also include freshening up all of the rest of the stadium too. Give it a nice new feel! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Let's hope the multi-story car par is across the road or on the Filbert St car park and they have thought about the possibility of a Railway Station so as not to block that off.

They’re planning to re-open the Ivanhoe line aren’t they? So I’d imagine any plans should take into consideration the potential of a proposed station. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What's included in the Multi-purpose? Music, comedy, theatre shows, other sporting events? 

It will be like the NIA I image. Giggs, events, other sports like basketball ball, netball and hopefully ice hockey……

Just now, Pliskin said:

They’re planning to re-open the Ivanhoe line aren’t they? So I’d imagine any plans should take into consideration the potential of a proposed station. 

Yes That's why I said I was hoping they've taken it inti account which I'm sure they have.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Can't be going too big too quick, Man City struggle to fill their stadium.. I'd rather we are at capacity for a few more years before looking to expand again.

Am I right in thinking it's just the West Stand that can't be expanded on?

...surely you would not be looking to expand twice!!!

Do it right and future proof it, but not having to bring equipment in twice as opposed to having structures in place to expand if necessary. 

I wonder if the roads around the ground will be altered or a flyover added, to take traffic away to the motorway, to prevent any serious impact on the local community. 

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Was thinking this too. Also I don’t mind it being a “small” expansion as long as the plans also include freshening up all of the rest of the stadium too. Give it a nice new feel! 

25% increase isn't small. 

12 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

So true. Esports too, that can firmly get in the bin. Can’t they do that at megazone or something.

Eh, I have zero interest in esports at all. But I have a few friends who are into that and it’s a massively growing industry. I know Leicester hosted part of the European tournament a few years ago after the Haymarket was done up. If it boosts the local economy and the interest grows in it then there’s worse things than having a big continental event regularly held in the City. 

That said, I’d 100% be up for a Ice Hockey team if that was on the cards.

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What's included in the Multi-purpose? Music, comedy, theatre shows, other sporting events? 

Even better: multiples of them!

7 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I would imagine there are good reasons for expanding "only" to 40k. Structurally adding 8k to the East Stand is probably fairly easy. 40k allows a good number of extra ST's and allows more in attendance for the majority of games. We would still not sell out against the likes of Burnley etc. every time. If after 5 years we are established Top 10 team and regularly selling out, they may be able to expand another stand or reconfigure.

Right now, expanding to 45k or more may be a large financial operation that could backfire. So they are rightly taking it step by step.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

We don’t want to have to increase it again in 5 years time,

That maybe part of the plan by expanded the South Stand with all the other commitments it was probably seen as not realistic to do everything they want in one go. The other developments may not only cover the costs of this development but provide funds for future work.

Frankly we're all second guessing it all.

• Like 1