Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Stadium Expansion update July 2021

As this development (which is good news) will require planning permission, I will assume the parking concerns will need to be addressed. Parking is difficult currently, let alone with many more cars in the vicinity.. Is one solution the use of company car parks around the city (if not separate park and ride(s)) with buses ( for which there would be a charge)to bus fans into stadium. This works well for Reading, although I accept grounds are not comparable I think it would work. 

3 hours ago, UHDrive said:

The LA development control is different in that the consultations raised at the time by the public will be recorded by development control as the application is being submitted, but at the moment the site redevelopment would've been dealt with by informal/formal discussions with the LA by way of pre outline application or reserved matters talks. With lots of coffee at the council  no doubt.

....reading this is very much "academic writing" and just reading it aloud sounds like Sir Humphrey in "Yes Minister"..!!!

You almost need a "Bernard" beside you in order to translate, after Sir Humphrey has left the room.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, baldeagle said:

Great news do a stand at a time and we’re laughing . Man United and Liverpool didn’t  do all sides at once did they ?

Yep Liverpool have been doing a stand at a time. First main stand was 8.5k extra seats and now they are going the Anfield road end with an extra 7k seats - they are having to reroute the road which runs behind the stand to create enough space. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turlo said:

Yep Liverpool have been doing a stand at a time. First main stand was 8.5k extra seats and now they are going the Anfield road end with an extra 7k seats - they are having to reroute the road which runs behind the stand to create enough space. 

So our 1st stand is basically 500 less than what Liverpool did and some people are moaning 😂

Edited by baldeagle

8 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Don't agree with the car park - should be dissuading people from coming in their cars.

What about electric cars? Wont be too long before they are the norm, need to think for the future?

It's OK trying to force people onto public transport, but it has to be a viable alternative, how does someone get home to a outlying area after a midweek game that has gone to ET and pens? Why should they have to leave early to get the last train/bus?

The council already have their anti-car agenda that before long will look outdated and short sighted when traditional cars are in the minority. I suppose we can expect another 15 years of roadworks removing the cycle lanes and installing electric charging points!

That said, the original plans for the ground did have S106 conditions regarding transport provision for fans that never really happened.

I can see this dragging on for months.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....reading this is very much "academic writing" and just reading it allowed sounds like Sir Humphrey in "Yes Minister"..!!!

You almost need a "Bernard" beside you in order to translate, after Sir Humphrey has left the room.

Why thank you old chum, jolly nice to hear! 

I wonder wether the sneaky blighters might try and pull a trick out from up their sleeve..

” everyone, we are announcing that we are going to announce in a months time that we are building 40k capacity and some shops” doesn’t really add up to me..

it’s probably going to be “ you know that 40k capacity? it’s actually going to be 48k! BOOYAH!” would be really cool..

Do think a couple of extra thousand seats wouldn't go amiss, but 40k is a solid start. I still think that, with continued success, our matchday attendance has the potential to regularly draw 45k or more given our catchment area and current undisputed position as the best club in the East Midlands.

Can't count any chickens, of course, and I think any future expansion would be reliant on improved transport links to the ground as well as where we find ourselves in the league at that point. Let's see if the rumours of the Ivanhoe Line extension as a trade-off for using Ashby as a construction base for HS2 have any weight, because I think a rail link would be a pre-requisite for us to ever draw much bigger crowds without serious strain on the city's road network.

I think a station is the sort of thing the club would help fund in any future expansion proposal. The possibility of matchday rail traffic massively boosts the business case for the line so it'd be a bit of a win-win, considering it would only cost them about what we just paid for Patson Daka to bankroll, if the (slightly farcical and purposely inflated to discourage approval) last feasibility study is anything to go by.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I thought that was not part of the FFP ruling!!!

We would surely be in breach of this, if that was the case. Didn't Manchester City get away with it by some creative description of increase revenue?

man city hired a couple of ‘elite’ bricklayers from abroad at about £40m a pop. During a tea break kick-a-bout on their first day the director of football, who happen to be visiting, noticed that these so called elite bricklayers were a dab hand at football so they instantly removed them from the building site (replacing them with a couple of apprentices from moss side) and signed them on for free.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Do think a couple of extra thousand seats wouldn't go amiss, but 40k is a solid start. I still think that, with continued success, our matchday attendance has the potential to regularly draw 45k or more given our catchment area and current undisputed position as the best club in the East Midlands.

Can't count any chickens, of course, and I think any future expansion would be reliant on improved transport links to the ground as well as where we find ourselves in the league at that point. Let's see if the rumours of the Ivanhoe Line extension as a trade-off for using Ashby as a construction base for HS2 have any weight, because I think a rail link would be a pre-requisite for us to ever draw much bigger crowds without serious strain on the city's road network.

I think a station is the sort of thing the club would help fund in any future expansion proposal. The possibility of matchday rail traffic massively boosts the business case for the line so it'd be a bit of a win-win, considering it would only cost them about what we just paid for Patson Daka to bankroll, if the (slightly farcical and purposely inflated to discourage approval) last feasibility study is anything to go by.

Would probably split the arrival of away fans to the two ends of the ground may affect where the away fans end up in the expanded East Stand.

Happy to see (mostly) positivity in this thread.

My initial thought was "meh" at 40k.

However, when someone pointed out it's a 25% increase, I thought "that's actually decent". 

There will be a new club shop, arena, hotel, multi-storey car park (i'm guessing for arena and hotel ??) etc

Listening to them on the radio tonight, it really does sound like a phased process. There's a long-term plan for the club, we just need to be patient and trust Top.

I'm hoping the final product will be a totally redesigned stadium that looks far from what we have now. I don't dislike our stadium at all, but I just think the vision of Top goes beyond what many of us could imagine.

Bring it on.

• Like 1

40,000 is a good jump at this stage, I'm the type of fan that works random weekends and so can't commit to a season ticket. But equally I like to go with a group of friends which is impossible to sit with at current capacity. If we have capacity to buy tickets on the day with people you know this will mean I see more games. As others have said, Top is a billionaire!! his tastes will be mustard and I expect the stadium at every step will be the stuff of dreams, much like the training ground 

9 hours ago, ealingfox said:

I've had this argument with people on here before so I'm not going to get into it, but if you won't go unless you can sit with a specific group of 9 other people, then you don't really want to go.

Not really going to win me parent of the year though is it? Sending my 9 year old daughter to sit on her own because I really want to go.

Have to admit, like a few on here I was a bit underwhelmed at a rise of just 8,000. 

I'm keen to see the plans because if it's anything like the leaked "plans" then surely that would rule out an expansion to the Kop and Family Stands as the East would wrap around them to a significant degree:

image.thumb.png.ceb906f741d36936e23d20c0520b661d.png

That leaves a potential expansion to the West Stand but as others have said that will be difficult due to its current construction and the canal behind it.

I honestly hope there's a long term plan here because at 40k this would take us from 13th to 10th in the current Premier League stadium table, leapfrogging Southampton, Leeds and Everton.  However Everton are now building a 53,000 seater stadium and Leeds are developing plans to expand Elland Road to 55,000.  Therefore we'd be spending a lot of money to just leapfrog Southampton.  I'm doubtful this would move the needle in terms of how we are viewed by the neutral in relation to the size of the football club.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the plans.

19 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

I'm keen to see the plans because if it's anything like the leaked "plans" then surely that would rule out an expansion to the Kop and Family Stands as the East would wrap around them to a significant degree

Only temporarily. I'm sure in the future if there were expansions to those other stands, then the necessary construction will just take place to accommodate it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Only temporarily. I'm sure in the future if there were expansions to those other stands, then the necessary construction will just take place to accommodate it. 

Which, once again IF the leaks are correct that would A) cost an absolute fortune to reconfigure the new East Stand to accommodate expansions to the Kop and Family Stand or B) look an absolute mess trying to squeeze an expansion along side the wrap around:

image.png.f6e22b95af48d8900ed011542d7419df.png

Let's see what the club shows us.  I'm personally hoping we're going down the Molineux route.

• Thanks 1