Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lgfualol

Wycombe Pre Season Match Thread (Delayed 15 mins)

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Part of me thinks we should play creative midfielders across the entire defence and play our defenders in midfield as we spend the majority of our time on the ball in defence, it's so frustrating.

...we need our defenders to be brave, to risk that pass in between the lines that stops us, from being pressed!!!

We are not ourselves when pressed, we seem to go into our shells and find it difficult to raise our game and the opposition becomes embolden and takes the game to us. Until someone can step out with the ball at their feet in order to beat the press, or risk that pass to the midfield, we are going to have the same problem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we need our defenders to be brave, to risk that pass in between the lines that stops us, from being pressed!!!

We are not ourselves when pressed, we seem to go into our shells and find it difficult to raise our game and the opposition becomes embolden and takes the game to us. Until someone can step out with the ball at their feet in order to beat the press, or risk that pass to the midfield, we are going to have the same problem.

Which is very strange because nearly all our defenders are excellent on the ball.

1 hour ago, Lesta2014 said:

Not concerned by the lack of goals or lack of chances created. All about fitness. Being sharp etc, we look okay keeping the ball at the back at going forward things will click, always the same pre season, when have we ever gone out in last few years and stuck 5/6 by a league 1 team during pre season, can’t remember. Last couple seasons have been good. Roll on the 7th I say when proper football is back 

Like every preseason I've watched live or before that when it was on the radio, it is definitely about fitness but its also equally important to figure out quite quickly over the pre season games + community shield games the formation of the team and to start to get to the next match this weekend and hopefully ramping it up so that BR is playing more of a starting 1st team to play for 60 minutes etc.

We've bought a few players the season and they all need bedding in quite quickly. I am concerned about chances created in the first 2 matches. Irrespective of the lead of Burton amd Wycombe have over us in pre season fitness, we have shown practically zero quality forward moves resulting in chances at goal (2 or 3). 

For me the next game is pivotal and we need to ramp up that starting 11 and get our game going to whittle down the squad players and preference. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd try and shift Amartey

I think with Amartey it's his utility player status that keeps him in the reckoning. Was signed as back-up to Kante as a DMF but ended up utilised way more at CB and RB. Actually crazy that he's now been with us 5 years - so easy to forget he's a title-winner!

I like the guy but his performances have always been very Jekyll and Hyde regardless of where we've positioned him. He can be solid one game then get completely left on his arse the next. I think that's largely because he's constantly in and out of the team - perhaps a prolonged spell of gametime would help form a clearer judgement, because it's kind of odd to still not be able to make my mind up if he's good enough for us five years on from signing him.

All considered, I'd certainly listen to offers for him if somewhere in the lower half of the prem or top half of the Championship will offer him more regular gametime. I wonder if Sheffield United are still interested? Maybe even a loan could work, since the injury crisis last season has me not wanting to bin off our back-up options completely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

I think with Amartey it's his utility player status that keeps him in the reckoning. Was signed as back-up to Kante as a DMF but ended up utilised way more at CB and RB. Actually crazy that he's now been with us 5 years - so easy to forget he's a title-winner!

I like the guy but his performances have always been very Jekyll and Hyde regardless of where we've positioned him. He can be solid one game then get completely left on his arse the next. I think that's largely because he's constantly in and out of the team - perhaps a prolonged spell of gametime would help form a clearer judgement, because it's kind of odd to still not be able to make my mind up if he's good enough for us five years on from signing him.

All considered, I'd certainly listen to offers for him if somewhere in the lower half of the prem or top half of the Championship will offer him more regular gametime. I wonder if Sheffield United are still interested? Maybe even a loan could work, since the injury crisis last season has me not wanting to bin off our back-up options completely.

Don’t forget those right midfield stints in the title run in, remember him coming on Sunderland away there. 

1 hour ago, Walshy5 said:

Didn't watch the game. Is this Maswanhise left footed or Right and what side does he play? Heard he looked good and could he be an answer if we don't sign a winger?

He's right footed and played left wing in these 2 friendlies. I think he played a mix of left or right for the U18's last season depending on who else was playing as Terell Pennant tends to play left wing too.

I have to say what an entertainer Akinfenwa is. "Your tits are offside" sang to him by our fans and he was lapping it up! 

Also his warm down at the end was legendary!

daRealAAkinfenwa (@daRealAkinfenwa) Tweeted:
Good test that was tonight! Fans plain & simple are the soul of football. It was beautiful to have you back at AP tonight, oh how I missed the cheers from our fans & the banter from the away fans. Bring on next week 👊🏿👊🏿 @wwfcofficial #TheLastDance #BMO #Beast20 https://twitter.com/daRealAkinfenwa/status/1420509348309184512?s=20

• Like 3