Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Chocolate Teapot

New defender

2 hours ago, RGFox said:

Sorry RL indicated on podcast it could be anything up to 6 months out. But it's obviously conjecture. However, can't see him being back from atleast 2 months so someone exp needed imo. 

Kabak and Cags are both young and lack the nouse needed together. Kabak was awful for Liverpool last season.

No he wasn't 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

We can’t really afford to turn our noses up at the minute, especially not a Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, Europa League, Bolton Player’s Player of the Year and Champions League winner. 

We can afford to take a pass on a slow coach who missed about half of Palace's games last season with recurring and multiple injuries. 

40 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

We can’t really afford to turn our noses up at the minute, especially not a Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, Europa League, Bolton Player’s Player of the Year and Champions League winner. 

He is 36 years old & yesterdays man ! He was always slow & is getting slower. He is to defending as Joe Hart is to goaltending. He has won it all  but time caught up with him. 

• Thanks 1

I think we'll sign both Cahill and Kabak. This was becoming a problem position before that earlier with Evans seemingly nowhere to be seen. We probably need two centre halves now. Cahill probably the nearest thing to Evans we'll get. Kabak is a relatively cheap option too.

It's a real ****er. A massive hindrance to our season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark said:

We’ll sign no one and have to put up with a year of Amartey/Castagne RCB and Bertrand LCB

I dunno why we'd do it. That's just complete sabotage. I don't think we'd get any Europe at all with that.

We've got to act on this. It's horrible luck but if we do nothing here I don't see us finishing above 8th, unless Evans comes back to his best (and that's looking unlikely).

44 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I dunno why we'd do it. That's just complete sabotage. I don't think we'd get any Europe at all with that.

We've got to act on this. It's horrible luck but if we do nothing here I don't see us finishing above 8th, unless Evans comes back to his best (and that's looking unlikely).

The sky is falling !!

Under our circumstances, I honestly can’t see the opposition to Cahill.  Yeah he’s old and slow, but against the right opposition he can be extremely useful.  We need depth, and a guy with his pedigree is going to provide a measure of calm and stability on the back line.

I understand that Cahill on a free isn’t exactly glamorous but let’s think for a second. How many times did Johnny Evans gets injured last season and as a result Syoncu and Fofanna looked lost without him? See Newcastle at home last season for example. I know we won the FA cup final without him for 60 minutes but I genuinely believe that Syoncu will need that experience and calm head to help guide him through this season. However, we will need more than one CB anyway, but especially if we sign Cahill. He’s 35 and won’t be able to play every week. 

Edited by Jakemoore

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Could well be a younger guy and someone more experienced on loan or a free depending on Evans.

12 minutes ago, Sankey93 said:

Need to make a statement imo, Some names that we should be looking at.

Caleta Car
Sven Botman

Lenglet

Kabak

Tarkowski 

Lenglet was on Barca's fire sale list and would cost around 20 mill euro - Roma had a bid of 15 mill euro knocked back recently. West ham and Everton have been linked to him.

It’s often been said that we have shortlists for replacements in every position, so this will be the test of that over the next couple of weeks. I wouldn’t be surprised if we make a move for someone that we haven’t heard of but who the scouting team may have had in mind to look at next year or the year after if we lost Cags/Fofana. I think we will also continue pursuing at least one additional squad CB (more experienced, possibly on loan) that I’d have assumed we were trying to bring in anyway given Evans’ situation. Based on the last few years, you’d have to think there’s a good chance that (a) we’ll pick a good’un and (b) we’d be an attractive option for someone that the elite teams might be monitoring, particularly as it’s very much a first team opportunity. The difficulty may be doing a deal in time. 
The worst case scenario would be Ndidi dropping back until one of JJ or Evans is fit again - not as bad as it could have been with Soumare signed, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be the preference. 

8 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Man City have been linked, I doubt he’s obtainable. 

He might not have been realistic as backup, but it’s this type of player we can now give first team and European football too for at least the start of the season. Could be a real shop window opportunity for someone like this instead of filling out a Man City/Liverpool or other elite squad. 

5 minutes ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

He might not have been realistic as backup, but it’s this type of player we can now give first team and European football too for at least the start of the season. Could be a real shop window opportunity for someone like this instead of filling out a Man City/Liverpool or other elite squad. 

Yeah I agree, the could actually be salvaged into a pretty positive situation when we look at it in a years time, with Wes back. Whoever we bring in now could be a long term Evans successor, and a third very good younger CB for the squad along with Cags and Soy.

IF we can afford/attract the right player. I’d also be looking at those teams you mention. Ake is one who maybe tempted by first team football, and Man City will need to clear the squad a bit to afford their targets. Zouma would also be a decent shout IMO. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

9 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Can't really believe that we're going into the new season with one fit centre back who is our 3rd best centre back. 

To be fair, the standard is bloody high. Soy would walk into almost any team in Europe.