Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Chocolate Teapot

New defender

I'll be honest, I was one of those taking the piss last year but Vestergaard had a great season last year and I totally misjudged what a good player he is. Would give us some much needed height in the backline. I'd be very happy if we brought him in. He might be a possibility with just a year left on his contract too.

• Like 1

Surely we need one CB bought and another on loan until our two injured ones come back.

Thats still only three fit ones.

How many point did Liverpool drop on their two previous seasons when they tried to patch up their centre back position with lesser players and centre midfielders? 20pts, 25pts?

Wilf is too good in MF to keep moving into the back 4.

Amartey didn't even get put there yesterday when we brought three centre-backs on.

If we seriously hope to stay in the top 6, we need two top-6 capable centre backs in a week.

Depending on whether Johnny Evans is going to return or not, in the next month,  and stay fit.

We need the squad to stretch over Europa games too.

4 fit centre backs in a squad is a minimum for the start of the season.

Edited by hamptonfox
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, hamptonfox said:

Surely we need one CB bought and another on loan until our two injured ones come back.

How many point did Liverpool drop on their two previous seasons when they tried to patch up their centre back position with lesser players and centre midfielders? 20pts, 25pts?

Amartey didn't even get put there yesterday when we brought three centre-backs on.

If we seriously hope to stay in the top 6, we need two top-6 capable centre backs in a week.

Depending on whether Johnny Evans is going to return or not, in the next month,  and stay fit.

I agree about us needing two CBs now. Probably one permanent and one on loan. Ideally, at least one with some experience or leadership skills.

I agree about Wilf, as well, although we are stacked in midfield now, and it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad to put him in defence now as it was last season. Soumare or KDH alongside Youri is far better than Mendy or Hamza.

Evans's injury is a big concern. I think we might have to assume he'll be out for a while.

If there is a silver lining, then it's the fact that there is still a month to get the reinforcements we need through the door.

I just cannot believe how bad our luck with injuries has been over the past couple of years. It's just ridiculous. I was feeling very optimistic about the season ahead. We may still find a way to fix this, but it is a huge spanner in the works.

We will surely have been prepared for the possibility that someone could come in with a big bid for either Cags or Wes this summer, so I assume we will have a list of targets drawn up and ready to go. Whether or not any of these targets are attainable at this point is another question, especially now that teams know we are desperate.

Kabak and/or Cahill make too much sense however this isn't FM and it won't be as easy as just stumping up the money as they too now know we are desperate, Cahill for example could use our desperation to try and get an extra year on a contract.

34 minutes ago, hamptonfox said:

Amartey will be cover at right back until Castange is back. I wouldn't even consider him as a back up CB at this point, so agree we really need to bring 2 in if Evans not back anytime soon. 

3 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Soumare or KDH alongside Youri is far better than Mendy or Hamza.

Dewsbury-Hall is actually quite versatile - but not a DM. Although a deep lying midfielder, Soumaré tends to drive forward into the final third. He is however excellent at winning/recycling and retaining possession and like N'didi has a high tackle success rate. I think it's more likely if N'didi does become a makeshift CB, in the short term we'll see the reintroduction of Mendy sitting in front. I'd much rather Soumaré than Choudhury. 

As has been mentioned, the concern would be, playing Wilf out of position and compromising his strengths in a role that does not maximise his abilities.  

4 minutes ago, turlo said:

Amartey will be cover at right back until Castange is back. I wouldn't even consider him as a back up CB at this point, so agree we really need to bring 2 in if Evans not back anytime soon. 

James Justin to come back  in a few months as well.

18 minutes ago, Danny280995 said:

Ndidi will play Cb on Saturday and Soumare will play Cdm, that will keep our team strong

I doubt we'll play man city in the community shield without a recognised DM. We'd get slaughtered. I'd rather play benko and cags with tielemans and soumare in CM and Bertrand/RP as full backs.

Just now, UHDrive said:

I doubt we'll play man city in the community shield without a recognised DM. We'd get slaughtered. I'd rather play benko and cags with tielemans and soumare in CM and Bertrand/RP as full backs.

Soumare does play cdm as well as cm

Just now, Danny280995 said:

He is 

Soumare can play in a CM role with DM qualities as opposed to offensive. He isn't however an outright DM. Anyone who knew about the player or watched him would know he doesn't have the basic attributes of Ndidi to fulfil that role. 

Just now, UHDrive said:

Soumare can play in a CM role with DM qualities as opposed to offensive. He isn't however an outright DM. Anyone who knew about the player or watched him would know he doesn't have the basic attributes of Ndidi to fulfil that role. 

We don't have choice now, better than playing Amartey or benko in cb 

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Current free agents centre backs:

Nikola Maksimovic (29) - 27 appearances in all comps for Napoli

Jerome Boateng - (32) - 39 appearances in all comps for Bayern Munich

Nicolas N'Koulou (31) - 20 appearances in all comps for Sampdoria - We were linked in 2020

David Luiz (34) - 30 appearances in all comps for Arsenal

Eliaquim Mangala (30) - 10 appearances in all comps for Valencia

Shkrodan Mustafi (29) - 22 appearances in all comps for Schalke & Arsenal

Gary Cahill (35) - 21 appearances in all comps for Crystal Palace

There are others but I have picked out the ones that are probably the most recognisable

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=3&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

Luiz please, just for a laugh.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

He’s not a destroyer like Ndidi basically. He’s more like Mendy with great physical attributes, and better long passing. 

Edited by FoxesWalk