Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Chocolate Teapot

New defender

3 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

That's a relief. I thought someone had said we wouldn't see him until xmas.

So, Wes could be 3 to 5 months, and Evans could be a few weeks. This is good news. I was expecting a lot worse.

One CB on loan might do us.

Seriously, there is no way with that break Wes will be back this year.  Seems like at least one compound fracture and maybe dislocation which will take at least as long as an ACL injury.  I would be happy to see him back any time this season, but that could be optimistic.

Jonny's injury means succession planning needs to start now really,  so a stopgap is probably the wrong course. We have three central defenders 25 and under so to balance that somebody in their late twenties is desirable. Yes, no sell on value but results trump that every time. As I have said before,  bring Tarkowski in and give him a four year contract with a years option , that should see us well covered until he is in his early thirties and by then Caglar will be the main man and Wes will be approaching his prime. Lesson, do not keep buying and selling CBs , look at what Man.Utd. have spent over the last five years and in that time they have won nothing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hack said:

Seriously, there is no way with that break Wes will be back this year.  Seems like at least one compound fracture and maybe dislocation which will take at least as long as an ACL injury.  I would be happy to see him back any time this season, but that could be optimistic.

Doubt it, ACL is much longer recovery time then a single break. Dislocation recovery time will depend on how badly damaged the ankle ligaments are.

Everton Gomez had a very similar injury and was back in 112 days  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genesis1 said:

I have this strange feeling he's going to try with Benkovic tomorrow and if he plays well we won't get anybody, would that surprise you?

....that would be a surprise!!!

Rodgers is not the bravest and I would think he would want to cover the eventuality of players not coming back.

1 hour ago, Genesis1 said:

I have this strange feeling he's going to try with Benkovic tomorrow and if he plays well we won't get anybody, would that surprise you?

We were looking for a CB even before this happened. We need 2 CBs to add to our current squad of Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana and Amartey, now that Fofana is out for at least half the season.

I feel like Benkovic and Nelson are essentially auditioning for the squad, with Nelson likely to feature a few times if needed because he doesn't need to be registered, and Benkovic's future up in the air.

Should Benkovic "pass the audition", I think he will take up one of the two CBs we need, but either way, I see at least one new face coming through the door, be it transfer or loan.

37 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Jonny's injury means succession planning needs to start now really,  so a stopgap is probably the wrong course. We have three central defenders 25 and under so to balance that somebody in their late twenties is desirable. Yes, no sell on value but results trump that every time. As I have said before,  bring Tarkowski in and give him a four year contract with a years option , that should see us well covered until he is in his early thirties and by then Caglar will be the main man and Wes will be approaching his prime. Lesson, do not keep buying and selling CBs , look at what Man.Utd. have spent over the last five years and in that time they have won nothing.

It would be good to get an experienced player, but beggars can't be choosers. We've got less than 4 weeks to find a quality CB or two and we might not have much of a budget to do it with.

I think you might be being a bit optimistic about how long Cags and Wes will be with us. They will be very sought-after players and will be very difficult to keep hold of.

I don't know if we have much of a choice about how often we have to buy and sell CBs, or any players, for that matter. There's a fair few important players who are going to need new contracts this season or next, and some may have to be sold in order to avoid them walking away for free.

I wouldn't worry about what Man Utd are doing. I trust our scouts to find the right players. I wouldn't trust theirs to find their own backsides with both hands.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

I’m fairly confident that we will sign Tarkowski next summer on a free so we’re trying to find a stop-gap until then. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wattolcfc said:

I’m fairly confident that we will sign Tarkowski next summer on a free so we’re trying to find a stop-gap until then. 

We will have to outbid a lot of suitors, if he goes for free. Step in now with a bid of 20-25 million and he could be ours by the start of the season. We could drop ten unnecessary points waiting for Jonny to return otherwise. Other options  could be poorer quality or just to difficult to tie up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

We will have to outbid a lot of suitors, if he goes for free. Step in now with a bid of 20-25 million and he could be ours by the start of the season. We could drop ten unnecessary points waiting for Jonny to return otherwise. Other options  could be poorer quality or just to difficult to tie up.

Money we don't have right now

4 minutes ago, Attywolf said:

Money we don't have right now

I think we have the money , at least to go that far,  but the club has become risk averse on transfers so is very careful when spending. Tarkowski is in no way a risk, he is a formidably tough and resolute defender and we would get what we pay for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

I think we have the money , at least to go that far,  but the club has become risk averse on transfers so is very careful when spending. Tarkowski is in no way a risk, he is a formidably tough and resolute defender and we would get what we pay for.

I mean there is risk like how well he does out of Burnley's system and I think Burnley seem more then happy to not sell him 

If we get someone quality and long term in before Wolves than our recruiting Dept. will have pulled the golden rabbit out of the hat. Keeping both my fingers crossed. Lets see how good they really are!

Just now, Attywolf said:

I mean there is risk like how well he does out of Burnley's system and I think Burnley seem more then happy to not sell him 

Of course they don't want to lose him. He and Mee are a major reason they are still in the PL but they are planning for his departure because they know he can do better for himself.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
24 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

Very good options bar Phil Jones ffs hahaha

Tarkowski or vestegaard would be ideal. 

22 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

So, who's doing Maddison's job while you're shoehorning him into a deep-lying playmaker role? You've already said you don't think it's wise to reposition a player as it drags other players around.

.....playing a three in midfield with Benkovic in the back four is a much better option, otherwise what was the point of buying Soumare!!!

Playing Maddison behind Vardy and Nacho or any combination for a front three is in this case the best option.

• Like 1