Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Chocolate Teapot

New defender

20 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

If I have to read Cahill suggested again I think I’ll scream. Can’t remember a time where a player we haven’t been linked with who has been playing at a level below us for a while and is near retirement has been so widely considered the perfect option. It just blows my mind how much talk he’s getting here.

Bertrand? Not as close to retirement admittedly but...

5 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Surely we go for prem experience with evans missing and not somebody who needs get to know a new language, country and league? We could of course be looking to bring two defenders of which one will be in the fofana/soyuncu/Benkovic mould which I’d be up for?

Don’t forget Bertrand is now there to add the experience. 

6 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Just for the record probably the best CB in the EPL last season had no previous EPL experience and is not 30+.   

If you’re good enough, you’re old enough. 

• Like 1

Reading between the lines I think the plan was that we were gonna make do this season with Fofana Soyuncu Evans and Amartey as 4th choice. Then sign either tarkowski or Vestergaard on a free next summer probably tarkowski as it always seemed at least from the outside looking in that our interest in him was stronger. 

The injuries to Evans and Fofana have brought this forward a year and saints were agreeable to a deal where as Burnley were there usual hard nosed selfs (as is their right btw) so a deal was done for Vestergaard and tarkowski will probably go else where next summer unless we do something crazy like sell Soyuncu. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Reading between the lines I think the plan was that we were gonna make do this season with Fofana Soyuncu Evans and Amartey as 4th choice. Then sign either tarkowski or Vestergaard on a free next summer probably tarkowski as it always seemed at least from the outside looking in that our interest in him was stronger. 

The injuries to Evans and Fofana have brought this forward a year and saints were agreeable to a deal where as Burnley were there usual hard nosed selfs (as is their right btw) so a deal was done for Vestergaard and tarkowski will probably go else where next summer unless we do something crazy like sell Soyuncu. 

I agree with this. I think we were all in agreement as fans before the window that there were five areas of weakness (CB/LB/CM/RW/CF) but probably that CB was the least of our concerns as long as we returned to 4atb and Evans was fit for the start of the season.

It has frustrated me in both of the last two seasons that we have changed to 3atb - in 19/20 we lost Söyüncu and the 3rd/4th choices were Morgan and Bennett so that was understandable. Last season it was purely because we didn't have any width.

In a 4 at the back the fourth choice rarely plays, so Amartey getting a dozen games then leaving on a free next summer would've done us fine. As it is, we've had to replace Fofana with Vestergaard. I expect Benković to stick around until deadline day just in case and then as long as Evans is on course he can get a loan move. Nelson stays as fifth choice and might get the odd chance.

If Evans is back no later than the third round of the League Cup we should be absolutely fine. Fofana potentially being back for the run-in would be a blessing too, although I suspect they may give him all summer to be ready for a return.

And to those worried about an Evans/Vestergaard pair, Evans and Maguire were mostly class together, and Maguire got done for pace by Laurent Depoitre!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, STUHILL said:

A defender is gathering pace but has none.

JV and I don't mean Jamie Vardy... :ph34r:

Oh My God! Jonny Vegas at centre back, not for me. Maybe a good goalkeeper until he lost all his weight :ph34r: 

• Like 2

On 10/08/2021 at 17:40, NaijaFox said:

Why would you bin a 21-year-old Kabak, with a potentially huge upside, if you are getting Tarkowski on a free - and a then 34 years old Evans would likely be on his last legs?

probably should have finished my sentence off shouldn't I..... bin him off if proves to be similar to how he was at Liverpool :(

9 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I think we'll get Tarkowski on a free next summer as a long term Evans replacement. Meaning our defensive options next season will be ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

I think we'll get Tarkowski on a free next summer as a long term Evans replacement. Meaning our defensive options next season will be ridiculous. 

Could be Soyuncu possibly leaves next summer, unless he signs a new deal he will only have 1 year left then

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Could be Soyuncu possibly leaves next summer, unless he signs a new deal he will only have 1 year left then

Possibly, but I'd rather we didn't. We can get rid of Amartey and Benkovic which would leave us with 5 very good defensive options (I think Rodgers wants 5 centre backs in the squad). 

• 2 weeks later...