Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Chocolate Teapot

New defender

Another dynamic to me seems to be the language barriers still. I remember when soyuncu joined he said that he was having English lessons and that was only after a few months yet he's still doing his club interviews via a translator. Fofana did his through a translator last week.

Just how much coordination of English is happening on the pitch. Makes me wonder if that's part of our defensive problems when Evans is out. 

I genuinely think we might end up signing Cahill now lol

Evans has an ongoing issue so I do now see @kingfox point about missing that experience if he is not available over long periods, and Fofana and Soyuncu have looked unorganised at times in pre-season, which will take time to iron out, especially against top Premier League strikers. 

He is slow and old but looks in great shape and undoubtedly would add experience and help Soyuncu/Fofana/Benkovic in that department. He is also free and available now. Would obviously prefer better, Zouma is an OK shout but I can see some aren't keen on here and would depend on the fee greatly. 

No doubt we need someone though as Evans would be a huge loss, if we can't rely on him throughout the season 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Yaroslav Rakitskiy

That's the second day in a row you've cryptically posted this. Is this you saying that we are signing him, or just who you would like? I used to love this guy, don't play with my emotions like this lol

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I genuinely think we might end up signing Cahill now lol

Evans has an ongoing issue so I do now see @kingfox point about missing that experience if he is not available over long periods, and Fofana and Soyuncu have looked unorganised at times in pre-season, which will take time to iron out, especially against top Premier League strikers. 

He is slow and old but looks in great shape and undoubtedly would add experience and help Soyuncu/Fofana/Benkovic in that department. He is also free and available now. Would obviously prefer better, Zouma is an OK shout but I can see some aren't keen on here and would depend on the fee greatly. 

No doubt we need someone though as Evans would be a huge loss, if we can't rely on him throughout the season 

Another one warming to the idea? lol

I did tell you that it would be the most sensible option, yet so many just shut me down, shocking.

Fans ended up warming to the Bertrand signing because it was sensible, at this moment in time a player similar at CB would be the most sensible option.

You either sign a stop gap on a free or loan, or you go all out and get in a long term successor for Evans now, yet they could be harder to do because Burnley won’t budge on Tarkowski, plus it would mean spending money which ideally should go towards a winger instead.

Time to go all @Ric Flair on you and throw out some names.

Free Agents - Cahill, Maksimovic

Made Available/Loan - Umtiti, Zouma, Godin
Out of contract in 2022 - Tarkowski, Vestergaard, Gigot, Kjaer, Dzhikiya, Rakitskiy, Mee, Kouyate, Vida

Take your pick mate 👍🏻

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Out of contract in 2022 - Tarkowski, Vestergaard, Gigot, Kjaer, Dzhikiya, Rakitskiy, Mee, Kouyate, Vida

Take your pick mate 👍🏻

I've always like Zouma tbh but can see why some don't rate him. He is such an imposing CB and always a threat in the opposition box.

I'm not saying I want Cahill, I just think we may well end up signing him due to Rodger's comments on Evans at the weekend and the fact Cahill has just announced his official departure from Palace. 

Would also like to put the rest (if any) of our budget to a top RW so a no fee CB would also make sense in that regard. 

21 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I've always like Zouma tbh but can see why some don't rate him. He is such an imposing CB and always a threat in the opposition box.

I'm not saying I want Cahill, I just think we may well end up signing him due to Rodger's comments on Evans at the weekend and the fact Cahill has just announced his official departure from Palace. 

Would also like to put the rest (if any) of our budget to a top RW so a no fee CB would also make sense in that regard. 

The problem with Zouma is you’ll be looking at £20 million, I can’t see us paying that. Tarkowski seems like a no go, Vestergaard was quoted around £15 million I think. Those playing abroad will probably be more attainable, Fin keeps mentioning Rakitskiy for some reason.

With what you said though, you are definitely warming to the idea of Cahill ;) 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
8 hours ago, peach0000 said:

That's the second day in a row you've cryptically posted this. Is this you saying that we are signing him, or just who you would like? I used to love this guy, don't play with my emotions like this lol

Hes just a WUM mate.

8 hours ago, kingfox said:

Another one warming to the idea? lol

I did tell you that it would be the most sensible option, yet so many just shut me down, shocking.

Fans ended up warming to the Bertrand signing because it was sensible, at this moment in time a player similar at CB would be the most sensible option.

You either sign a stop gap on a free or loan, or you go all out and get in a long term successor for Evans now, yet they could be harder to do because Burnley won’t budge on Tarkowski, plus it would mean spending money which ideally should go towards a winger instead.

Time to go all @Ric Flair on you and throw out some names.

Take your pick mate 👍🏻

Ben Mee - interesting idea. He was good on loan wasn’t, very mature for a young player as I remember. We could do a lot worse.

Godin was up there with the best in the world when he was peak at Atletico - 35 now though…

Umtiti was the next big thing 5 years ago, but must have not progressed.

I used to sign Maksimovic on Fifa or Football Manager. 17 apps in Serie A for Napoli last season - not bad at all.

I’d go with my Fifa hunch from nearly a decade ago.

10 hours ago, Outfox the Fox said:

Ben Mee anyone ?  All the speculation is that we were after Tarkowski, as he only has 1 year left on his contract.  Yet Mee also only has 1 year left, he's older than Tarkowski and isn't an England international.  Burnley have paid Stoke big('ish) money for Centre Back Nathan Collins, so do they need 3 first choice Centre Backs?  And Mee has a City track record, playing half a season for us - and doing well.

Just a thought.  I haven't seen any speculation about Mee going (anywhere), but Burnley might want to sell, an older player with just a short time left on his contract.  I'd take him, as an experienced back up Centre Back, IF Evans is to be out for a while.

Yep, I reckon Mee could be on. A club like Burnley wouldn't splash out on Collins, if they intend to keep playing Tarkowski and Mee. Dyche has said many times that Tarkowski won't be going this season, but nothing about Mee. And he also only has 1 year left on his contract. 

30, with a great experience - and did well for us, I thought we might have tried to sign him then. I'd go with him, if Evans is knackered. 

Edited by bald reynard

7 minutes ago, bald reynard said:

Yep, I reckon Mee could be on. A club like Burnley wouldn't splash out on Collins, if they intend to keep playing Tarkowski and Mee. Dyche has said many times that Tarkowski won't be going this season, but nothing about Mee. And he also only has 1 year left on his contract. 

30, with a great experience - and did well for us, I thought we might have tried to sign him then. I'd go with him, if Evans is knackered. 

Tarks can play, Mee is just a stopper - a very good one. He'd be of no interest to us.

9 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Yaroslav Rakitskiy

I was trying to explain why I think Benkovic won’t be considered a prem defender and I think nothing really can articulate that argument more than looking at pictures of these pair next to each other.

One looks like a war criminal, the other looks like he picks turnips for a living.

4CD104B3-792B-443E-A080-8FC7F75604DF.jpeg

F8407160-2D22-47E1-8787-57DFB5DD1AE3.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Ben Mee - interesting idea. He was good on loan wasn’t, very mature for a young player as I remember. We could do a lot worse.

Godin was up there with the best in the world when he was peak at Atletico - 35 now though…

I used to sign Maksimovic on Fifa or Football Manager. 17 apps in Serie A for Napoli last season - not bad at all.

What I will say about Maksimovic is that he was a bit of a donkey for Napoli last season, but he got quite a few appearances due to injury issues with Koulibaly and Manolas

Napoli fans were quite happy to see him go

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Ben Mee would be nowhere near suited to our style of play. Hes an old fashioned get the ball and kick it as far forward as possible defender. Not a chance would Brendan sign him 

51 minutes ago, bald reynard said:

If we sign one it will be Tarkowski. With the way Rodgers plays out from the back, i can't understand why some on here would think we would sign Mee. Hes a very limited player and would not suit us at all.