Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lukeslaw

My husband loved LCFC and needs your support 💙

1 minute ago, davieG said:

That’s terrible, who provided this exclusivity?

They went to the opening of the inquest. The Mercury have asked me a few times to do an interview but I have only done a few and this week in particular has been really difficult. My son broke his arm so badly that he had to have surgery on it yesterday and the Mercury didnt seem to get that it was a bad time. They published the story using quotes from my video and whilst I was at the hospital yesterday, I was begging them to take it down. They have been so rude and basically told me that it is now out of my control and they can do what they want. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Lukeslaw said:

They went to the opening of the inquest. The Mercury have asked me a few times to do an interview but I have only done a few and this week in particular has been really difficult. My son broke his arm so badly that he had to have surgery on it yesterday and the Mercury didnt seem to get that it was a bad time. They published the story using quotes from my video and whilst I was at the hospital yesterday, I was begging them to take it down. They have been so rude and basically told me that it is now out of my control and they can do what they want. 

Sounds like you need a good lawyer. 

• Like 2

Finally took some time to watch your video and believe that your husband would be so proud of you for doing this. To help save others from this exact situation.

Truly sorry that things had to go this way but wish you all the best with this petition and in the future.

Petition signed. Much love from Canada from my family to yours.

Ps! I hope you son gets better soon.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Lukeslaw said:

Not yet 🥺

That's pretty unfortunate and, of course, annoying/frustrating.

14 hours ago, Lukeslaw said:

They sound pretty disrespectful, to say the least.

You have a very good right to complain to them, should you wish.

Which you can do via this link:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/how-to-complain/

Hope things are getting better, as much as they can do at present.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

There was about a 2-minute report on Luke's case and the wider free bets issue on the BBC1 Lunchtime News (reports often repeated on Evening News).

Good to see the issue getting some media prominence, hopefully increasing the chance of something being done about free bets being used as an enticement.

Yes, there was a good feature on it bbc breakfast. Hopefully this will help propel the issue to a wider audience and a higher authority. 

• Like 3

Ministers are aware of the tragic circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Luke Ashton and extend their sympathy to his family and friends.

The Government has a clear vision for the gambling sector and wants all those who choose to gamble in Great Britain to be able to do so in a safe way. The UK Advertising Codes make clear that all gambling advertising and marketing must be socially responsible, with particular regard to the need to protect children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited, and its content must not encourage irresponsible gambling behaviour. While the Advertising Standards Authority is responsible for enforcing rules on the content and placement of gambling advertising, the independent regulator, the Gambling Commission, requires compliance with these codes as a licence condition and breaches of the codes can result in enforcement action against an operator.

The Government is reviewing the Gambling Act 2005 to ensure it is fit for the digital age. The Review was launched on 8 December 2020 with a wide-ranging Call for Evidence, which closed on 31 March. We received c.16,000 submissions from a range of stakeholders and members of the public, including individuals and organisations who represent people with lived experience of gambling harms.

As part of the broad scope of the Review, we are looking closely at issues around gambling advertising, including evidence on the impacts of licensed operators being able to make promotional offers and the types of incentives they are allowed to provide. We are committed to undertaking a thorough, evidence-led review and are carefully considering the submissions we received. We aim to set out our conclusions and proposals for reform in a white paper by the end of this year.

Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Collymore said:

Ministers are aware of the tragic circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Luke Ashton and extend their sympathy to his family and friends.

The Government has a clear vision for the gambling sector and wants all those who choose to gamble in Great Britain to be able to do so in a safe way. The UK Advertising Codes make clear that all gambling advertising and marketing must be socially responsible, with particular regard to the need to protect children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited, and its content must not encourage irresponsible gambling behaviour. While the Advertising Standards Authority is responsible for enforcing rules on the content and placement of gambling advertising, the independent regulator, the Gambling Commission, requires compliance with these codes as a licence condition and breaches of the codes can result in enforcement action against an operator.

The Government is reviewing the Gambling Act 2005 to ensure it is fit for the digital age. The Review was launched on 8 December 2020 with a wide-ranging Call for Evidence, which closed on 31 March. We received c.16,000 submissions from a range of stakeholders and members of the public, including individuals and organisations who represent people with lived experience of gambling harms.

As part of the broad scope of the Review, we are looking closely at issues around gambling advertising, including evidence on the impacts of licensed operators being able to make promotional offers and the types of incentives they are allowed to provide. We are committed to undertaking a thorough, evidence-led review and are carefully considering the submissions we received. We aim to set out our conclusions and proposals for reform in a white paper by the end of this year.

Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport

Typical government BS: boilerplate copy that doesn't address either Annie's concerns or the root causes of Luke's suicide.

• Like 2

On 23/08/2021 at 07:26, gerblod said:

Hi,

In addition to signing the petition I wrote to my MP, Dr. Luke Evans, who represents the Bosworth constituency.

If your petition gets a reading then I believe it's important to 'prime' anyone who could be involved in the debate.

He actually replied by letter - a full A4 page, and it's indicative that he's very aware of the damage gambling can cause and the need to for control and that he takes the issue very seriously. 

If you'd like to read it for yourself, I'll scan it. I could then attach it to an e-mail.

You've touched the hearts of many of us. 

Hi yes, that would be great! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lukeslaw said:

No, very box standard reply with nothing I didn't already know in it. I hope it gets further and I am not stopping there. I will keep campaigning. I am mainly on twitter and facebook but always trying to find new ways to get it out there. The football forums have been great and I also had a huge response on reddit. Will keep posting until I am told I can't. 

Yes, go for it Annie. You will always have our love and support.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2021 at 15:40, Lukeslaw said:

My husband loved LCFC, he went all over the place to watch them and started many of chants when he was watching the games in the home and away stands. He would often come home with destroyed vocal chords. City was everything to him. 

However, I recently lost my husband through a gambling addiction. He was a happy man but was sucked into a hole after being given 'free bets' which ultimately cost him his life. I have made a video that explains more here.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159682032749728&id=572159727

I have set up a petition asking the government to ban 'free bets'. This is where I am asking for your support. Could you sign and possibly share it.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/587806
Sorry for asking but I am trying to gain as much support for this as possible and as he put his all into being a huge supporter, I thought I would give this a go. Signing will take 1 minute and sharing will take even less time. Hope you do not mind me posting.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/587806

Late response but I'm so sorry for your loss.

I knew Luke from Artisan- we worked in different  departments but always spoke about footy.

Lovely quiet chilled out lad, its dreadful what happened.

Keep plugging away and hope you get the response you need.

Edited by Raj
  • Like 3