Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lukeslaw

My husband loved LCFC and needs your support 💙

Gambling is an addiction .  Time outs and limits are no use.

Worse gambling companies see addicted gamblers as VIPs and send them free bets. 

The gambling companies have been clever in avoiding the addiction narative... but now they need to make a decision... what should they do with customers who are spending money they don't have?

Edited by foxinsocks

17 minutes ago, Lukeslaw said:

I need just over 2000 signatures now to get to 10,000 💙🙏

Have you had any more thoughts on how to spread the word faster? If you get it right I think you will reach over 100k in the time it's take you to get to 10k. 100k has to be the real target. 

10k will just get you a rehearsed line from government, the latter will get it raised in parliament. 

Have you tried contacting your local MP for his/her thoughts?

31 minutes ago, Lukeslaw said:

Like other people have said on here, you maybe need to get some real influencers posting links on Twitter and Facebook. Have you thought about sending it to City players who are active on social media? Just a thought - I don’t really know a lot about it!

45 minutes ago, FLINTHAMFC said:

Have you had any more thoughts on how to spread the word faster? If you get it right I think you will reach over 100k in the time it's take you to get to 10k. 100k has to be the real target. 

10k will just get you a rehearsed line from government, the latter will get it raised in parliament. 

Have you tried contacting your local MP for his/her thoughts?

30 minutes ago, LanguedocFox said:

Like other people have said on here, you maybe need to get some real influencers posting links on Twitter and Facebook. Have you thought about sending it to City players who are active on social media? Just a thought - I don’t really know a lot about it!

I have tried so many people on twitter but they don't even reply. I guess they get so many people asking them to retweet things like this. I asked Gary Lineker a few times but no joy. 

I could try all of the leicester players today. 

I speak to MPs and they do offer support but it doesn't really gain signatures. Social media is a strange one tbh, people are quite happy to scroll past it. The most support has come from forums lile this one. I was wonder if I would be allowed to post on the main pages 🤔  I could just try but don't want to get booted off. 

23 minutes ago, Lukeslaw said:

I have tried so many people on twitter but they don't even reply. I guess they get so many people asking them to retweet things like this. I asked Gary Lineker a few times but no joy. 

I could try all of the leicester players today. 

I speak to MPs and they do offer support but it doesn't really gain signatures. Social media is a strange one tbh, people are quite happy to scroll past it. The most support has come from forums lile this one. I was wonder if I would be allowed to post on the main pages 🤔  I could just try but don't want to get booted off. 

Have you tried the local media? Would have thought Leics Merc would be all over it, especially with so many signatures. Also BBC radio and East Mids Today. 

• Like 4

So sorry for your loss Annie, signed and shared. 

I can't imagine how difficult it is for you to be dealing with such a loss and also raising awareness with your campaign. Wishing you the very best. 

The constant bombardment of betting ads on TV, social media and sponsorship is appalling and action is long over due. 

39 minutes ago, Lukeslaw said:

I was wonder if I would be allowed to post on the main pages 🤔  I could just try but don't want to get booted off. 

This is the most popular page as this is the main reason we're all signed up on here.

If you want to get more signatures off this forum you'll need to keep 'bumping' this topic with posts to keep it active as even 'Pinning' it doesn't always help because a lot of posters just use the 'View New Posts' option so will not see the pinned ones unless someone has posted in it

2 hours ago, Lukeslaw said:

Signed, I've also shared a link on Twitter with Peter Shilton too,who after having a long term battle with gambling addiction is also trying to get reforms to gambling.  Best of luck, and best wishes for the future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

This is the most popular page as this is the main reason we're all signed up on here.

If you want to get more signatures off this forum you'll need to keep 'bumping' this topic with posts to keep it active as even 'Pinning' it doesn't always help because a lot of posters just use the 'View New Posts' option so will not see the pinned ones unless someone has posted in it

Just to add every time you do bump it repost the petition in the post.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/587806

• Like 1

It irritates me no end to see the betting industry endorsed by sport through sponsorship. I intensely dislike City's association with Parimatch - it introduces an element of seediness to our otherwise pristine reputation.

Gambling has always been portrayed as a kind of blokey pastime - something the lads do for enjoyment. Hiring actors and spokesmen who have a reputation as winners and tough guys (my first thought was Ray Winstone) endorses betting as a manly and slightly daring thing to do.

The reality is that it has nothing to do with sport as competition and the appreciation of sport as such. It's a leech which, in one of its manifestations, exists parasitically on the body of sport. 

Free bets are akin to a pusher offering someone a free hit of heroin or cocaine. If you like the feeling it produces and want more then you become another customer. What the addict pays back is far more than what the f*****s outlay in trawling the waters in whatever sport they're fishing in. Most will ignore their offers, some will give it a go and a few will get hooked.

I doubt any betting company has tried to repair the damage they've caused to individual's and families' lives - because that would be a tacit confirmation that gambling is destructive.

As Winstone might put it in mockney - it's a mug's game.

• Like 2

Whilst in complete agreement with all so far I think we do a disservice by calling it gambling because it isnt gambling it is actually throwing money away in every sense for some silly reason . .We all have our weakness very few are without one or more ,for some its food or non food,alcohol, smokiing,betting, and they all have a cost to our lives.Folk have been gaming and betting throughout history and sadly for some it  it costs big time.Even if we were to legislate like smoking folk would find a way to bet.I can guaraatee when I go to the village pub at lunch for my weakness there will be a fella on the bandit  dropping £50 or more in 30 minutes and he will look optimistic and when I go to the shop later there will be a queue for lottery tickets. vey sad

Signed and shared.

It's awful to think of how your husband was lured back into this addiction and its heartbreaking outcome, having made a concerted and apparently successful effort to avoid gambling.

Hoping that your campaign achieves its aim - and I do think there's a chance, as the Govt did act to drastically cut the maximum stake allowed for Fixed Odds Betting Terminals.

I'm sure the betting firms will look for new money-making loopholes, but if they can be prevented from luring people in like this - in the knowledge that some gamblers will develop major problems - it'll be a real achievement.

• Like 1