Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Loans 2021/22

58 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

To be fair uh for club and Country in the last year has shown significant improvement. I think we'd be absolutely fine, not that I wish an injury on Kasper or anything.

Yes Ward has shown he can be a able deputy. Surprised he didn't fancy a move after the Euros.

53 minutes ago, Corky said:

I know, for once we've got a really good back up and Schmeichel is indestructible. Before that we had to suffer Zieler, Hamer and a 58-year-old Schwarzer lumbering in front of our net.

I've tried to block Zieler out of my mind!

How he was ever capped by Germany is beyond me! Guy was stealing a living.

Even went to Euros in 2012 and was part of the 2014 World Cup-winning squad. Luckily for Germany, Neuer never missed a game!

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Probably should've handled the ball better for the first shot, but what a recovery save for the second

He makes a complete mess of the first and the striker should have buried the second one.

Good save though.

10 hours ago, Corky said:

I know, for once we've got a really good back up and Schmeichel is indestructible. Before that we had to suffer Zieler, Hamer and a 58-year-old Schwarzer lumbering in front of our net.

Yeah but we always had the safety net of Conrad Logan.

On 30/10/2021 at 23:02, moore_94 said:

Looking on a Preston forum and sounds like Iversen is going to be very similar to Kasper in how he plays

Makes himself big for 1 on 1s, outstanding reactions saves, distribution can be underwhelming but can win points himself from his performances

But also good to hear he likes to come out for the ball (it is probably the one thing I really have an issue with when it comes to Kasper, but I imagine it helps that Iversen is a fair bit taller and Kasper is rather short)

image.png.70d888fad276fe9d30c0cb367aca50c4.png

A lot of them think he is a Prem quality keeper already, be interesting to see what happens with him next season

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/iversen.3434651/

Not surprising, really. He would've spent a lot of his childhood first hearing about Schmeichel Sr and then the last 10 years watching Kasper whilst his own career was starting to develop. Then half a decade at the same club as your own national keeper/player of the year, certain habits and play styles are bound to rub off on him. Great to hear that he's been able to step up to that sort of level of performance, that's really, really promising for us going forwards.

It was mentioned a lot last summer during/after the Euros but perhaps was a bit too early, but I could easily see Ward wanting to move elsewhere and us bringing Iversen into the matchday setup in a similar capacity, playing cup games (hopefully including Europe) and training even more closely with Kasper. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Probably should've handled the ball better for the first shot, but what a recovery save for the second

Great 2nd save but striker should have buried it after a very poor initial piece of keeping from Iversen.   

Good job he didnt score the rebound or else Iversen would now be getting slaughtered for poor goalkeeping where as now he is being praised for great goalkeeping...!

Fine margins....! 

In a twitter thread with their fans currently who are raving about him.

They've been blessed with some very good goalkeepers on loan, Pickford, Johnstone etc and they're all saying he's worlds ahead of them.

One even said he's world class in waiting.

Todays Games - Saturday 6th November

Championship:

Daniel Iversen - starting for Preston vs Nottingham Forest

FA Cup 1st Round:

Tyrese Shade - starting for Walsall vs King's Lynn Town

George Hirst - on the bench for Portsmouth vs Harrow Borough

Sam Hughes - not in squad (injured) for Burton vs Fleetwood

Callum Wright - not in squad (injured) for Cheltenham vs Gillingham (2pm KO)

Serie A:

Dennis Praet - starting for Torino vs Spezia (2pm KO)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Todays Games - Saturday 6th November

Championship:

Daniel Iversen - starting for Preston vs Nottingham Forest

FA Cup 1st Round:

Tyrese Shade - starting for Walsall vs King's Lynn Town

George Hirst - on the bench for Portsmouth vs Harrow Borough

Sam Hughes - not in squad (injured) for Burton vs Fleetwood

Callum Wright - not in squad (injured) for Cheltenham vs Gillingham (2pm KO)

Serie A:

Dennis Praet - starting for Torino vs Spezia (2pm KO)

Hirst not starting against Harrow wow wasted loan again

Todays Results - Saturday 6th November

Championship:

Daniel Iversen (5.5 - 90 mins) - Preston 0-3 Nottingham Forest

FA Cup 1st Round:

Tyrese Shade (7.3* - 90 mins) - Walsall 1-0 King's Lynn Town

George Hirst (Unused Sub) - Portsmouth 1-0 Harrow Borough

Sam Hughes (not in squad - injured) - Burton 2-1 Fleetwood

Callum Wright (not in squad - injured) - Cheltenham 1-1 Gillingham

*Rating from SofaScore

Serie A:

Dennis Praet (6.4 - 90 mins) - Torino 0-1 Spezia

13 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Is it a wasted loan? 

I'm beginning to think that, like Benkovic, it's time to assume that Hirst will never make the grade here 

His manager has questioned his effort in training 

could be that he doesn’t have the requisite hunger and having seen him a few times on tv, I never thought he had the requisite ability in any case ! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

His manager has questioned his effort in training 

could be that he doesn’t have the requisite hunger and having seen him a few times on tv, I never thought he had the requisite ability in any case ! 

Odd considering the crazy numbers he sis as a youth. Perhaps there's more to it. 

Seems like Hirst is not putting it all in during training.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-boss-danny-cowley-makes-george-hirst-admission-after-latest-snub-for-leicester-loanee-3448155

Portsmouth boss Danny Cowley makes George Hirst admission after latest snub for Leicester loanee
Danny Cowley has challenged struggling George Hirst to ‘earn the right to play’.

By Neil Allen
Sunday, 7th November 2021, 4:55 am

The Leicester City loanee was surprisingly overlooked for Saturday’s FA Cup encounter with Harrow Borough.

Cowley opted against freshening up his goal-shy for the visit of the Southern League Premier South outfit.

Instead John Marquis, with four goals in 17 appearances this term, continued to be preferred to Hirst in attack.

The 22-year-old wasn’t even called upon from the bench in the 1-0 victory, despite Cowley making four substitutions and having another slot remaining.

It represents another blow to Hirst, who has so far failed to prove his worth in a disappointing loan spell since arriving from the Premier League.
Cowley told The News: ‘Against Harrow, I played the players that earn the right to play. George ‘ain’t done it.

‘George will get another opportunity (against Crystal Palace) and this is what they've all got to do.

‘They had an opportunity against Sutton and didn’t take it, did they. If they want to then they’ve got to take their chance.

‘We’re not messing around are we, this is professional sport, you have to earn the right. The players have to earn the right.

‘Absolutely you can do that in training. We plan training to the finest detail and we watch it back every single day.

‘They all get a mark out of 10 every session, they know exactly what they have done, what they haven’t done. They know exactly where they are and we pick what we see.

‘I don’t pick the team, the players pick the team. I just name them.’

The former Sheffield Wednesday forward has made 13 appearances since arriving from the Foxes, albeit most fleeting cameos from the bench.

His goal return aside, Hirst’s overall performances have also largely also failed to convince the Fratton faithful.

The striker’s two starts have both come in Papa John’s Trophy defeats to AFC Wimbledon and Sutton United.

Meanwhile, all 11 of his League One outings have come as a substitute, despite Marquis’ ongoing goalscoring issues.

Against Harrow, Gassan Ahadme, Reeco Hackett, Michael Jacobs and Louis Thompson were used off the bench.

Hirst wasn’t called upon, along with Alex Bass, Kieron Freeman, Harvey Hughes and Harry Jewitt-White.

Although he is now likely to start Tuesday evening’s Papa John’s Trophy encounter with Crystal Palace under-21s.

He added: ‘I think those on the bench against Harrow could start against Palace.

‘It will give us a good opportunity to freshen it up.’

Hirst is on loan to Pompey until the season’s end, although the arrangement can be cancelled in January.