Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Loans 2021/22

Todays Results - Tuesday 9th November

Papa Johns Trophy:

George Hirst (7.4 + 1 Goal(!) - 90 mins) - Portsmouth 3-0 Crystal Palace Under 21s - Hirst's goal puts Portsmouth through to the next round!

Sam Hughes (not in squad - injured) - Burton 5-0 Wycombe

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

Sounds like Hirst finally took his chance and had a really good game; some great work for other chances, won the free kick for the 2nd goal and scored the 3rd

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-3-crystal-palace-under-21s-0-neil-allens-verdict-leicester-loanee-george-hirst-the-inspiration-as-shadow-men-shine-to-stake-first-team-claims-3451836

Portsmouth 3 Crystal Palace Under-21s 0: Neil Allen's verdict - Leicester loanee George Hirst the inspiration as shadow men shine to stake first-team claims

What unfolded was several rising to the challenge superbly, finally posing realistic competition to a first-team which has become far too comfortable.

Intriguingly, leading the way was the much-maligned George Hirst to at last stake a claim to the problematic centre-forward role.

To put it bluntly, John Marquis has been playing by default for the Blues this season, such has been the lack of pressure applied by rivals.

Hirst was already man of the match when the Papa John’s Trophy encounter against Crystal Palace Under-21s entered stoppage time. Fittingly, he would fire Pompey into the next round.

With the Blues leading 2-0, they required one more goal to qualify from the group section – and the finish was applied in two minutes of time added on by the Leicester City man.

Certainly the loanee had a point to prove in just his third Blues start and was a powerful presence all night, presenting a calibre of striking performance rarely witnessed this season, albeit against an under-21 side.

Earlier keeper Owen Goodman produced one stunning save to deny him and another good one in the second half.

There was also a horrible effort with the outside of his right boot after excellent approach play from Hirst – but he finally found a way through in stoppage time.

Overall, it was a heartening outing from the 22-year-old, accompanied by impressive turns from Gassan Ahadme and Michael Jacobs.

On 14 minutes, Hughes’ left-footed clearance was flicked on by Ahadme, sending Hirst racing clear to bear down on goal.

He then cut inside to create shooting room for himself, only to prefer a shot with the outside of his right foot rather than using his left.

The outcome was the ball horribly screwing away from goal when the build-up deserved so much more - and didn’t Hirst know it.

Pompey were beginning to threaten and, on 24 minutes, Hirst was denied by a wonder save from Goodman

Ahadme’s shot was blocked, with the ball falling to Hirst, who struck a fierce low attempt which appeared destined for the net until the keeper flung himself to his right.

It was a stunning stop, somehow keeping the shot out, leaving the Leicester loanee with his hands on his head in disbelief.

The deadlock was broken on 32 minutes through a lovely finish from Azeez.

Hirst fed Ahadme inside the box, who beat the offside flag, but was unable to get into a shooting position so laid it inside to the Arsenal loanee.

Azeez controlled it with his left foot before clipping a lovely right-footed finish high into the far corner of the net.

Then Hirst picked up the ball centally and drove inside before drilling a right-footed shot agonisingly past the post.

On 54 minutes, Hirst won a free-kick down the right, with Azeez touching the dead ball to Freeman, who put it into the box.

There was Ahadme with an excellent header, planting it into the top corner to make it 2-0 to the hosts.

On 73 minutes, Jacobs’ corner from the right was met with a Hirst header which the keeper instinctively kept out on the goal line – and the striker was thwarted again.

In five minutes of stoppage time, Hirst fired in a shot which deflected for a corner.

That was delivered from the right by Azeez, flicked on by Ahadme, and there was the Leicester man in the thick of it, prodding the ball home for the winner – and Pompey are into the next round.

• Like 3

Fair play to the lad, that miss would be enough to destroy anyones confidence, not the miss itself, but the technique screamed of either someone overthinking or someone who can't play the game.

Sounds like he's responded well to the manager calling him out, good to see there are still people out there that can respond to having their attitude called out. With social media today you'd expect people wanting the manager to be sent to prison and never be allowed to work again for publicly calling a player out (despite these twitter bullies not seeing the irony in their own actions)

Anyway, hopefully this marks an upturn in the rest of the season for the lad. It's upto him to keep that level up when he gets his next chance now. Hopefully the manager doesn't do a Rodgers and bomb him out for 8 games now haha.

Iversen apparently not far off a Denmark call up if he carries on his form so far this season

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/denmark-national-coach-keeping-a-close-eye-on-preston-star-emils-riis-goalscoring-prowess-3455239

The Danish coaching staff have been in touch with Riis and PNE team-mate Daniel Iversen recently.

Both have shone this season, Riis being North End’s leading scorer with 11 goals while Iversen has produced some fine keeping displays.

Turning to the position of Iversen – who is on loan for the season from Leicester – Riis feels the goalkeeper is ready to step-up internationally.

“I know that Daniel got the same call as me,” said Riis. (Riis told the Lancashire Post: “I got a call from the Denmark assistant manager saying that I was close but not there just yet. “He told me he’d really enjoyed watching me and just to keep on going.)

“He is getting close as well because he’s been doing really well here.

“I don’t know why he hasn’t been called up yet, Daniel is a fantastic keeper”

14 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Todays Games - Saturday 13th November

League One:

George Hirst - starting for Portsmouth vs Wycombe

Sam Hughes - not in squad (injured) for Burton vs Charlton

League Two:

Tyrese Shade - starting for Walsall vs Harrogate

Wow, Hirst in from the start. Could be some week for him.

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Wow, Hirst in from the start. Could be some week for him.

The guy who usually starts, Marquis, is injured

But he has been really crap anyway, and after Hirsts performance in the cup most Portsmouth feel he deserves a chance

On 12/11/2021 at 09:29, moore_94 said:

Iversen apparently not far off a Denmark call up if he carries on his form so far this season

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/denmark-national-coach-keeping-a-close-eye-on-preston-star-emils-riis-goalscoring-prowess-3455239

The Danish coaching staff have been in touch with Riis and PNE team-mate Daniel Iversen recently.

Both have shone this season, Riis being North End’s leading scorer with 11 goals while Iversen has produced some fine keeping displays.

Turning to the position of Iversen – who is on loan for the season from Leicester – Riis feels the goalkeeper is ready to step-up internationally.

“I know that Daniel got the same call as me,” said Riis. (Riis told the Lancashire Post: “I got a call from the Denmark assistant manager saying that I was close but not there just yet. “He told me he’d really enjoyed watching me and just to keep on going.)

“He is getting close as well because he’s been doing really well here.

“I don’t know why he hasn’t been called up yet, Daniel is a fantastic keeper”

That Riis is a decent player. Quite like Preston atm. Only started taking a bit of notice due to Iversen.

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

That Riis is a decent player. Quite like Preston atm. Only started taking a bit of notice due to Iversen.

They have been rather disappointing in the league and are down in 17th, but Iversen and goals from Riis upfront has helped them from slipping into a relegation battle so far

A lot of their fans want the manager out, but the owner has backed him heavily

8 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

They have been rather disappointing in the league and are down in 17th, but Iversen and goals from Riis upfront has helped them from slipping into a relegation battle so far

A lot of their fans want the manager out, but the owner has backed him heavily

Yes; I think without Iversen and Riis they'd be in a hell of a lot of trouble. They seem to let in some absolutely ridiculous goals at times.

Todays Results - Saturday 13th November

League One:

George Hirst (7.2 + 1 assist - 86 mins) - Portsmouth 1-0 Wycombe

Sam Hughes (not in squad - injured) - Burton 0-1 Charlton

League Two:

Tyrese Shade (6.2 - 90 mins) - Walsall 1-3 Harrogate

Lots of praise for Hirst on Twitter! Apparently looked a mile better actually starting a game and not being thrown on when they’ve been awful. 

Good hold up play and apparently looked rapid for a big guy, which is nice to hear. 

Hopefully he can cement a place in the team now and start to get his career back on track.  

ive been a harsh critic of him, but unless he gets a run of games nobody will really know what he’s capable of. 

• Like 2

On 09/11/2021 at 22:01, moore_94 said:

Sounds like Hirst finally took his chance and had a really good game; some great work for other chances, won the free kick for the 2nd goal and scored the 3rd

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-3-crystal-palace-under-21s-0-neil-allens-verdict-leicester-loanee-george-hirst-the-inspiration-as-shadow-men-shine-to-stake-first-team-claims-3451836

Portsmouth 3 Crystal Palace Under-21s 0: Neil Allen's verdict - Leicester loanee George Hirst the inspiration as shadow men shine to stake first-team claims

What unfolded was several rising to the challenge superbly, finally posing realistic competition to a first-team which has become far too comfortable.

Intriguingly, leading the way was the much-maligned George Hirst to at last stake a claim to the problematic centre-forward role.

To put it bluntly, John Marquis has been playing by default for the Blues this season, such has been the lack of pressure applied by rivals.

Hirst was already man of the match when the Papa John’s Trophy encounter against Crystal Palace Under-21s entered stoppage time. Fittingly, he would fire Pompey into the next round.

With the Blues leading 2-0, they required one more goal to qualify from the group section – and the finish was applied in two minutes of time added on by the Leicester City man.

Certainly the loanee had a point to prove in just his third Blues start and was a powerful presence all night, presenting a calibre of striking performance rarely witnessed this season, albeit against an under-21 side.

Earlier keeper Owen Goodman produced one stunning save to deny him and another good one in the second half.

There was also a horrible effort with the outside of his right boot after excellent approach play from Hirst – but he finally found a way through in stoppage time.

Overall, it was a heartening outing from the 22-year-old, accompanied by impressive turns from Gassan Ahadme and Michael Jacobs.

On 14 minutes, Hughes’ left-footed clearance was flicked on by Ahadme, sending Hirst racing clear to bear down on goal.

He then cut inside to create shooting room for himself, only to prefer a shot with the outside of his right foot rather than using his left.

The outcome was the ball horribly screwing away from goal when the build-up deserved so much more - and didn’t Hirst know it.

Pompey were beginning to threaten and, on 24 minutes, Hirst was denied by a wonder save from Goodman

Ahadme’s shot was blocked, with the ball falling to Hirst, who struck a fierce low attempt which appeared destined for the net until the keeper flung himself to his right.

It was a stunning stop, somehow keeping the shot out, leaving the Leicester loanee with his hands on his head in disbelief.

The deadlock was broken on 32 minutes through a lovely finish from Azeez.

Hirst fed Ahadme inside the box, who beat the offside flag, but was unable to get into a shooting position so laid it inside to the Arsenal loanee.

Azeez controlled it with his left foot before clipping a lovely right-footed finish high into the far corner of the net.

Then Hirst picked up the ball centally and drove inside before drilling a right-footed shot agonisingly past the post.

On 54 minutes, Hirst won a free-kick down the right, with Azeez touching the dead ball to Freeman, who put it into the box.

There was Ahadme with an excellent header, planting it into the top corner to make it 2-0 to the hosts.

On 73 minutes, Jacobs’ corner from the right was met with a Hirst header which the keeper instinctively kept out on the goal line – and the striker was thwarted again.

In five minutes of stoppage time, Hirst fired in a shot which deflected for a corner.

That was delivered from the right by Azeez, flicked on by Ahadme, and there was the Leicester man in the thick of it, prodding the ball home for the winner – and Pompey are into the next round.

I don't wish to sound harsh but i think a bit of perspective may be required here.....it was Crystal Palace U21s he was playing against.

You would hope that anyone hoping to have a pro career at championship level or above would be capable of standing out at U21s level as an absolute minimum requirement...

39 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I don't wish to sound harsh but i think a bit of perspective may be required here.....it was Crystal Palace U21s he was playing against.

You would hope that anyone hoping to have a pro career at championship level or above would be capable of standing out at U21s level as an absolute minimum requirement...

He would of had no confidence after start to season and last season at Rotherham! He followed it up with a decent display Saturday where he set up the winner so hopefully gets run of games to show what he’s really about! 

5 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

He's only turned 22 himself this year and is playing against other players of a similar age with similar aspirations. It's not like he's turning out against Coalville u21. 

• Like 1